CAM Classroom Session April 30th Gould Barn

Rob Hazard

Spring is here, and that means it's time for our on-land discussion of the Common Adventure Model for paddling trips. Scott Camlin will be organizing the program which will feature some familiar faces from last spring. We will meet at the Gould barn in Topsfield at 10am on Saturday, April 30th. This will be a full day event with a potluck lunch.

Note that the church next door to the Gould barn is holding a wedding on April 30th, and the parking lot we use is theirs, so we will have to park across Rt 97 at the town hall.

The on-land session will be followed by 2 on-the-water sessions in May, which will be announced as soon as we choose the dates.

Bummer - I was totally unaware that these classes even happened last year, so i was really hoping to make it this time, but I'm already busy that day. Is it OK to do the on-water sessions if you didn't do the classroom stuff? There's a realistic chance that I might initiate a trip this year, but doing these activities would make me feel better about it.

Thanks,

Kevin Fredette

Just a note to remind everyone that on April 30th we will be parking across the street at the town hall, since the church next door to the Gould barn, which owns the parking lot we usually use, is having a wedding that day.

Rob

I'll be there.

Thanks for facilitating this event. Please sign me up. Sherry V. Smith

Spring is here, and that means it's time for our on-land discussion of the Common Adventure Model for paddling trips. Scott Camlin will be organizing the program which will feature some familiar faces from last spring. We will meet at the Gould barn in Topsfield at 10am on Saturday, April 30th. This will be a full day event with a potluck lunch.

Note that the church next door to the Gould barn is holding a wedding on April 30th, and the parking lot we use is theirs, so we will have to park across Rt 97 at the town hall.

The on-land session will be followed by 2 on-the-water sessions in May, which will be announced as soon as we choose the dates.

I am also planing on attending. I understand it starts at 10 and goes all day so am I thinking till 5pm ?

I missed the pre planning workshop...which was not part of the CAM series, so I'm kinda wondering how this one is different.

Is there a rough outline of how the day will shape up that I can refer to ?

thanks

I am also planing on attending. I understand it starts at 10 and goes all day so am I thinking till 5pm ?

I missed the pre planning workshop...which was not part of the CAM series, so I'm kinda wondering how this one is different.

Is there a rough outline of how the day will shape up that I can refer to ?

thanks

Spider-san,

Details will be forthcoming , as we are still planning, but here is a rough summary of last year's classroom day, from which It is unlikely that this years session will deviate too wildly.

1) CAM overview

2) Trip planning(including trip level overview)

3) Beach briefing ABC's

4) Group paddling: on the water

5) Incident management before launching : (late paddlers, too many paddlers, slow paddlers, etc)

6) incident management: once on the water (tows, rescues, evacuations etc)

Are these sessions limited to NSPN members?

That would make sense as only members can initiate a trip on the website as I recall, but in other ways runs against the grain.

Thought I would verify before suggesting to some folks they should take advantage of the opportunity. Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Are these sessions limited to NSPN members?

That would make sense as only members can initiate a trip on the website as I recall, but in other ways runs against the grain.

Thought I would verify before suggesting to some folks they should take advantage of the opportunity. Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Yes, these sessions are for NSPN members. Non members-can become members very easily. $15/year, less than I spend on beer after a typical paddle.

Easy to join. I'm a bit biased but to non-members I would say that these sessions alone would be worth the yearly membership fee.

$15/year, less than I spend on beer after a typical paddle.

That puts the PPPO is a different light or perhaps suggests it has another meaning.

I'm a bit biased but to non-members I would say that these sessions alone would be worth the yearly membership fee.

I am not biased, and I would say each is easily worth multiples of the yearly membership fee.

Ed Lawson

$15/year, less than I spend on beer after a typical paddle.

Easy to join. I'm a bit biased but to non-members I would say that these sessions alone would be worth the yearly membership fee.

Agreed! :smiley_cheers: