Expedition in Alaska

Warren, I find it impossible for me to let sleeping bears lay....

At the Paddlesport show a few weekends ago I attended a lecture by a woman who has paddled extensively in Alaska. Her advice was if you are going to shoot at a bear (mind you, she wasn't advocating shooting at the bear) that one should shoot the GROUND in front of the bear and that would scare s/he away.

Hope that's helpful and that you come back safe and sound and the bear population did not decrease,

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warren, I find it impossible for me to let sleeping bears lay....

At the Paddlesport show a few weekends ago I attended a lecture by a woman who has paddled extensively in Alaska. Her advice was if you are going to shoot at a bear (mind you, she wasn't advocating shooting at the bear) that one should shoot the GROUND in front of the bear and that would scare s/he away.

Hope that's helpful and that you come back safe and sound and the bear population did not decrease,

Nigel Foster shot with flares the ground in front of the bears that were chasing the group. The bears just swatted at the flair and weren't at all deterred. You will only have ~6 shots, if your going to shoot make them count as you might need all 6 to take a bear down.

Worth a read: http://www.chuckhawks.com/firearms_defense_bears.htm

From the Nigel Foster talk the bears swim at 4kts and they were chased for a full 24 hours... (Might be a bit like a fish tale, getting ever larger). On land they are much faster than we are.

Wow! I am facinated about all this discussion concerning bears.

Not to worry, David and I both have our Bear Bells to wear while on land. I understand the sound of the bell will scare away a bear! However, it might just act like a dinner bell for the bears. Time will tell.

Actually, I am going to Alaska to see bald eagles.

Warren

"However, it might just act like a dinner bell for the bears."

Funny you should say that since there are reports of bears being curious about sound made by bells and being attracted to them.

Ed Lawson

Wow! I am facinated about all this discussion concerning bears.

Not to worry, David and I both have our Bear Bells to wear while on land. I understand the sound of the bell will scare away a bear! However, it might just act like a dinner bell for the bears. Time will tell.

Actually, I am going to Alaska to see bald eagles.

Warren

If your going to see bald eagles you might go much much closer to home.

A couple of years ago I did a paddle with http://cpakayaker.com/ and the bald eagles were more pletifiul than sea gulls around Kelly's on Reverer beach.. It was fun watching them take the fish from the ospray. They didn't seem to fish, but they were good at taking the fish away from other birds.

They don't have a lot of tide or currents where I paddled, but it was fun. On the week night paddle/rolling session I joined it was on a reservoir as it was getting near sunset everybody rafted up then wine and cheese appeared out of hatches (with openers, plastic glasses, cutting boards etc).

Ed,

Thank you for posting the very informative Bear Spray link above, I found it to be excellent. I particularly liked the sections detailed below.

"In Alaska, bear spray was highly effective in
dealing with all 3 species of North American bears, although
more data on polar bear responses is needed."

"Importantly, latent bear spray residues have been found to
attract brown bears rather than repel them (Smith 1998),
which was evident in 7 instances in Alaska where persons
applied bear spray to objects with the intention of repelling
bears. Unfortunately, bears were attracted to, and subsequently
destroyed, the property that had been coated with
bear spray, similar to observations reported by Smith (1998).
These observations underscore a need to carefully manage
spray residues by not indiscriminately dispersing spray."

When David and I arrive in Anchorage, we plan to visit the REI store and load up on Bear Spray. It was comforting to read that Miss Clairol Hair Spray has been found to be as effective as the REI Bear Spray. So now we will have an option in case the Bear Spray has been sold out! Good to know!

Edited by Warren

Hats off to you, Warren, for planning this. This sounds like it's going to the trip of a lifetime.

Are you using a digital or film camera? Just wondering about batteries.

How do you like the Ultralamina bag? That's the same bag I have, I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Why do I feel like should be adding a comment or anecdote to this post to steer the discussion back to bears?

Edited by Mforti

Hi Mforti,

The trip plan is very much a group effort between David, Beth, Michael and me with Ryan, the local expert, providing a reality check on our efforts. Early on Ryan empowered us to work together on drafting a plan. I like how we do not have any experience paddling together as a team, so the plan needed to adjust for that unknown particularly as it applied to our abilities to handle the “big three” of wind, weather and conditions. We then needed to layer in the next concerns regarding length of crossings, location and condition of emergency take outs, etc. The main take-away for me has been a greater understanding of Prince William Sound and the opportunities to flex the plan to include greater exploration, rock garden work, etc.

On the question of my camera, I am planning to take my Panasonic Lumix which I adjusted to increase photo capacity on the memory card and I will have a second battery. I am not a great photographer, so that should be AOK for me.

I do like the sleeping bag and I actually have four of them in different degree ratings. I always get a good night sleep and they are easy to pack.

Just in case the discussions on the Alaskan bears starts to peter out, we should not forget the Alaskan wolf packs. Now since my camera does not have a telephoto lens, I need to find a way to attract the wolves for a nice photo op. Maybe if I put out a raw sirloin steak or two that might attract them. If they get too close I can ring the dinner bell, oops, I mean the bear bell. What do you think?

Warren

Edited by Warren

Just in case the discussions on the Alaskan bears starts to peter out, we should not forget the Alaskan wolf packs. Now since my camera does not have a telephoto lens, I need to find a way to attract the wolves for a nice photo op. Maybe if I put out a raw sirloin steak or two that might attract them. If they get too close I can ring the dinner bell, oops, I mean the bear bell. What do you think?

Warren

Your going to be in bear territory, the bear's will keep the wolfs away. They don't want to be dinner.

I don't know why this thread keeps going back to bear bear bears, when we'd FINALLY gotten to the all important topic of hair care products on kayaking trips...

pru

This would be ones (my) normal camping hair care:

http://www.dawn-dish.com/us/dawn/product/037000222057

This would be an idea of what's in fashion in AK for clothing:

https://www.wisementrading.com/insectprotection/bug_out.htm

Jason,

Thank you for the insightful article from Garrett's of Texas. I also found their motto, "When Penetration is Vital" to be fascinating! Keep em coming!

Josko,

No luck finding a good hair spray for porcupines, may I suggest a heavy duty hair net! Now there is a photo op!

Warren

Over the weekend, Pru showed me an article in the May/June issue of Sierra Magazine entitled "Lost in Time". It takes place in brown bear territory of Alaska. I think you might enjoy the article, I know I did!!

Warren

http://content.sierraclub.org/new/sierra/2014-3-may-june/feature/lost-time

We won't know about other writers that couldn't write about "avoiding the digestive tracts of grizzlies" as the other Grizzlie didn't go "harrumph," and trot away. I think that they were a little under prepared, not even a jet boil....

To beat this topic to death even further, I'd like to recommend two books. Both are well-written and both look at Grizzlies AND black bears realistically and not though the lens of New Age pseudo science.

"Grizzly Years" by Doug Peacock.

Peacock came back from the Vietnam War with some serious PTSD. He found that living in the wilderness with Grizzlies helped him.

"Bear Attacks: Their Causes and How to Avoid Them" by Stephen Herrero, PhD.

The definitive (and revised since I first read it, and, yes, I own a copy) book on both Grizzlies and black bears by a University of Calgary scientist.

Neither book sensationalizes the topic ("The Bear ate my baby..") although the details of the before and after of a bear attack can be, well, sobering.

Deb M (who has a mortal fear of bears in any way, shape, or form and has never seen one in the wild nor particularly wants to.)

Deb,

I applaud your efforts to separate fact from fiction regarding bears. Thank you for posting the book titles. I believe it is a wise approach to learn more about how to stay safe when in bear territory by reading the books you highlight.

By the way, I did not realize bears eat babies!!! OMG!!!

Warren