• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warren and Dave,

Enjoy this trip of a lifetime! We are all excited for you and already waiting for the trip report.

Safe travels and happy paddling.

Cathy

As you head out, we will be here,
thinking of your road today, far not near.

Travel well, to the West then East,
travel well, for fun, travel in peace!

Enjoy each moment, two souls together,
Each wrote your plays, including even the weather.

Why your two worlds are today in sync?
Curious it is, to ponder that and think.

Always a reason for all that comes by,
do not doubt, and don't deny.

Enjoy the journeys, and think not of the ends.

In the mean time I say, travel well my friends.

(adopted from a poem from an unknown author)

David and Warren:

First and most importantly I hope you enjoy your journey.

In keeping with the bear motif. Last week in Brave Boat Harbor met a couple who had paddled quite a bit in Alaska. Apparently there was always a debate about whose turn it was upon landing to stick a finger in any bear poop on the beach to see if it was fresh.

While on a hike today actually saw a bear. First time in several years. Don't see them often despite the fact they are quite a few around.

Ed Lawson

• 2 weeks later...

David and I just completed our exploration of Prince William Sound, Alaska from Valdez to Whittier. The trip was amazing! David took notes to build the trip report while I took photos. Over 500 hundred photos! Hope to select a few of the best for your viewing pleasure. Yes Jason, there are photos of the black bears we encountered!

In Anchorage now and not flying to Boston until Tuesday.

It should take us a couple weeks to build the report, but perhaps I can post a black bear photo once I return to Boston.

I am already planning another 12 day exploration in PWS in 2015. I have fallen in love with Alaska!

Warren

Katherine,

No bears or paddlers were harmed. We were quiet observers of our environment. We enjoyed watching the wildlife interact with their world and felt it was a privilege to be there. It is amazing how special it can feel to be quietly paddling along while observing sea lions, sea otters, bears, puffins, seals, and many more. PWS is amazing with a "Wow Factor" every single day. I was on sensory overload during most of the trip and can not wait to get back!!

Warren

Glad to have you and Dave back in Anchorage safe and sound. Forget the trip report, this adventure deserves a live presentation/ question and answer accompanied with food and libation of choice.

Dave

Dave,

You're on! Beware I have mutated into my Jeremiah Johnson character with a full beard and a mellow demeanor to match. The PWS paddling buddies want me to keep the beard as is. Not sure yet about the beard, but love the mellow feeling.

Warren

post-101565-0-40055200-1405879123_thumb.

Rob,

I am open to any suggestions that might work for our club. I will add, the learning that occurred for me during the 12 days exceeded two years of kayak camping. I found an opportunity to grow my understanding of self and group awareness both on land and on the water. With this knowledge, I felt like a member of a nomadic tribe that was migrating the 140+ miles across the PWS while feeling one with our environment. It was a wonderful feeling.

I will also add, in PWS it helps to have a carefully assembled collection of gear and processes, as well as a group of core competences. Each day you may be collecting water, erecting bear hangs and engaging in bug management. When done correctly, you derive great joy!

There is much more to share! You would have been in heaven during this trip!!

Warren

Edited by Warren

Glad you made it back and didn't get too close to our four legged friends. I hope that you had a great trip and will share photo's etc when your back in the north east.

Liz, Joyce, Jason and Andy,

Thank you all for your kind words!

Last night our exploration team was out to celebrate at a great restaurant. Life long friendships have begun and planning for the 2015 exploration of PWS are well underway. I just return from a trip to a store which sells gear for surviving in extreme wet weather. I have begun assembling gear for the next trip.

Prince William Sound is a land of extremes. Most kayaker only explore the edges around Whittier and Valdez. For me, the great treasures lay deep within the center. To get there and back, your gear must handle gale force winds and driving rain. As we hunkered down on Elf Point we quickly learned what gear served us well and what does not!

Tonight David and I will catch the red eye to Boston.

Warren

Edited by Warren

Liz, Joyce, Jason and Andy,

Thank you all for your kind words!

Last night our exploration team was out to celebrate at a great restaurant. Life long friendships have begun and planning for the 2015 exploration of PWS are well underway. I just return from a trip to a store which sells gear for surviving in extreme wet weather. I have begun assembling gear for the next trip.

Prince William Sound is a land of extremes. Most kayaker only explore the edges around Whittier and Valdez. For me, the great treasures lay deep within the center. To get there and back, your gear must handle gale force winds and driving rain. As we hunkered down on Elf Point we quickly learned what gear served us well and what does not!

Tonight David and I will catch the red eye to Boston.

Warren

You might check with Suz as to a dry suit. The new one becomes pants for around camp or a nice dry top for when it's too warm for a full dry suit.

Julie and I have this tarp which is great for around camp:

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/essential-series/zing/product It can tame the weather. I won't help with our four legged friends but it will keep the group smiling while in camp.