Expedition in Alaska

Jason,

Hey, thank you for the great tarp link. We discovered a tarp over the tent is important. It can rain very hard for a long time and the tarp can help! Do not rule out the idea even if you have a great tent! Trust me, it is important!! For the group shelter/kitchen, rain and bug management requires a different approach. We used a custom made shelter with screen panels that was superb. With a regular tarp arrangement the bugs would carry you away in minutes. That environment requires a new set of competences.

Warren

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jason,

Yes, Kokatat has a lot of great options and I loved my dry suit and my Storm Cag! Both are essential in PWS. When you paddle in the fiords with glaciers the air and water can be very cold. It can resemble a separate weather zone. But five miles out, you can have the "Alaskan Bake "! It requires careful planning and flexibility, but is worth the effort!

We were constantly checking the VHF weather forecast since our journey spanned five separate NOAA forecast zones and that did not include the glacial fiords which would have their own wind speed and direction. PWS is a weather guys dream come true. I was is heaven!

Warren

Jason,

Yes, Kokatat has a lot of great options and I loved my dry suit and my Storm Cag! Both are essential in PWS. When you paddle in the fiords with glaciers the air and water can be very cold. It can resemble a separate weather zone. But five miles out, you can have the "Alaskan Bake "! It requires careful planning and flexibility, but is worth the effort!

We were constantly checking the VHF weather forecast since our journey spanned five separate NOAA forecast zones and that did not include the glacial fiords which would have their own wind speed and direction. PWS is a weather guys dream come true. I was is heaven!

Warren

The new dry suit will add a lot of options as it can become a real dry top.

http://www.paddlinghq.com/gear/4767-new-kokatat-idol-drysuit-design-drops-the-chest-in-favour-of-a-waist-zip.html

Edited by jason
Added a link

Prior to our trip to Alaska, this thread generated a fair amount of interest in bears. More specifically, the black and brown bears which live in the Chugach National Forest. As requested, our goal was to observe and photograph these bears in their natural habitat. We did see a total of three black bears at three separate locations within our journey in Prince William Sound.

Our best sighting was on the west side of Culross Island, approximately two miles north of Applegate Island within the Culross Passage. At the time we were down wind of the black bear and very quietly paddling along the shoreline. The bear was feeding on shore greens and berries and did not appear to see us out on the water. We drifted to with 100 feet of the shore. We observed the bear for over 15 minutes. At no point did we or the bear appear to feel threaten. The way in which we conducted ourselves felt rewarding. The two attached pictures were my effort at capturing the moment. Enjoy!

Additional pictures and narrative will appear in the Trip Report section under a new heading over the next several days/weeks. Stay tuned for more!

Warren

post-101565-0-74620300-1406125655_thumb.

post-101565-0-19885400-1406125728_thumb.

Hey Jason,

How would you like to look over your shoulder and see this guy looking at you?!

Warren

attachicon.gifPolar Bear 1.JPG

There's a great article with the photographer that took this pic here:

http://www.imagedeconstructed.com/post/spotlight-on-paul-souders

he actively goes looking for the bears photograph them.

best

Phil

• 4 months later...