WAVES, TIDES, CURRENTS Workshop

Doug

by John Huth

January 29th from 10:00 am-2:00 pm

VISITOR CENTER

6 Plum Island Turnpike, Newburyport, MA

John's description of this workshop:

"Waves, tides and currents are always a factor in sea kayaking, yet they seem to catch people by surprise. In this workshop, we'll explore some of the science behind the generation of waves, tides and coastal currents. We'll see how to use this understanding to plan trips and deal with "conditions". I'll discuss how mariners in the 16th century predicted tides before the development of detailed tables, so that you can figure tides without recourse to tables. In addition to this, I'll touch on dealing with rapidly developing weather conditions that may not be caught by NOAA radio and have some discussion of the stability of hulls, factors determining hull speed, and the fluid dynamics of different paddle strokes."

This workshop is for "PAID MEMBERS ONLY"

RSVP's would be appreciated on this link.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

by John Huth

VISITOR CENTER

"Waves, tides and currents are always a factor in sea kayaking, yet they seem to catch people by surprise. In this workshop, we'll explore some of the science behind the generation of waves, tides and coastal currents. We'll see how to use this understanding to plan trips and deal with "conditions". I'll discuss how mariners in the 16th century predicted tides before the development of detailed tables, so that you can figure tides without recourse to tables. In addition to this, I'll touch on dealing with rapidly developing weather conditions that may not be caught by NOAA radio and have some discussion of the stability of hulls, factors determining hull speed, and the fluid dynamics of different paddle strokes."

I plan on attending do we need to register somewhere ?

by John Huth

VISITOR CENTER

Yes Spider:

RSVP's would be appreciated on this link.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Looking forward to this. Thanks for arranging it. I'll be there.

Blaine

John,

I would value your recommended list of books, articles and websites which you found to be most helpful. With the potential for a long cold winter ahead, I would like to curl up in front of the fireplace with a good book.

Warren

If there are any specific questions people have in advance of the workshop

I would like to hear information/opinion on whether/how to combine land and marine forecasts to predict sea state within a mile or two of the coast, what would lead to relying more on either marine or land forecast to predict sea state, how to estimate direction and strength of tidal current from looking at a chart including location of likely eddies, some practical techniques for estimating current velocity, observational techniques for determining current direction and strength.

FWIW, seems to me the hull and paddle topics might deserve a separate presentation since I assume there is nothing simple about those topics and might engender long discussion/debate about favorite boats/paddles.

Ed Lawson

Known to ask questions from time to time

If there are any specific questions people have in advance of the workshop or sub-topics they'd like emphasized, please let me know and I'll try to plan accordingly.

"Nowcasting ": how to predict or assess weather from observations: what;s going on immediately around you.

Any books, websites etc that explain weather to the layperson/weather idiot.

reading synoptic charts

I would like to attend.

And yes, the topics of weather and celestial bodies’ interaction are complex enough to not want to “contaminate” them with boat and paddle design.

In the larger scheme of things everything is related (even a butterfly in China can mess with your roll), but there is enough to talk about weather and tides for 4 hours. It’s far preferable to delve into one topic than skim the surface of several ones.

But that’s just my style of teaching and learning.

Others may disagree.

It’s ultimately up to the lecturer’s discretion, whom I thank in advance for his time, expertise, and most of all willingness to share.

Billy-Bob