NH skills practice sessions?

dcycleman

Would anyone be interested in practice sessions in NH? I paddle the merrimack out of hooksett weekly and the current isn't bad. other spots would be fine too, robinson pond in hudson comes to mind or cobbetts pond in windham. I would love to get skill practice in during the week, but the ones offered are kinda far for me. Anybody else?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would LOVE to get together with others for practice sessions in NH. Both of the places currently used for sessions are almost a two hour drive for me. I could do any night but Thursday as I hope to get to an occaisional surf session. Pawtuckaway Lake is another option, launching out of Fundy Cove off of Deerfield Rd. In Nottingham,.

How is Cobetts Pond in Windham. I've never been there. It's the next town over and fairly close to me. I could be persuaded to join in. Wednesdays are good for me and Thursdays would conflict with the Surf Sessions but if it turns out to be Thursdays, I can miss a couple . Pawtuckaway is always nice but a another 15 minutes or so of a ride.

Let's keep this thread going.

Doug

Cool, I'm glad others are interested. Cobbetts is ok, there is a town beach area that would make it easy to launch.(although I am unsure of the rules there) Pawtuckaway is nice too. Wednesdays work for me as well.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Of course I would like to see sessions in my backyard at Opechee or Winnisquam. When they draw down the dams there are opportunities to play in current on these. Perhaps different locations could be used for sake of variety?

Ed Lawson

I like the idea of practice sessions in S NH pawtuckaway is closer than the others mentioned thus far. Drive time may actually be longer for me than the MA locations since there are no direct highways to the NH locations.

Dave

since there are no direct highways to the NH locations.

Dave

Dave:

There is some truth to the saying "You can't get there from here."

Just the other day I was giving directions to someone who has only lived in NH for a few years and their response was "I don't drive on those little country roads.", and I was giving directions to use what I thought were big highways. <g>

Ed Lawson

Edited by EEL

I live just west of Nashua, NH in Hollis, so I would love a practice session closer to home.

However, at least this year, I'm still bound for Walden on Wednesdays (about a 45 minute drive).

I also hope to attend some surf sessions on Thursdays (a rather long drive).

So Tuesday would be ideal, and Monday would be tolerable for NH sessions.

I've never been there, but Google says Robinson Pond, Hudson, NH 03051 is about 25 minutes away.

I've also never been to Cobbetts Pond which Google says is about 37 minutes away.

I'm not sure where you launch in Hooksett, but Hooksett is about the same as Walden for me.

Pawtuckaway is too far for me to normally drive for flat water.

I've heard good things about Potanipo Pond in Brookline, NH which is only 17 minutes away from my house. Unfortunately, I think it is a longer drive for the rest of you. I've also never actually been there.

Besides drive time, my highest priority for a location is the presence of bathroom facilities!

It sounds like Tuesdays or Wednesdays would work. I am good with either. Bill mentioned that he is going to Walden on Wednesdays , so does Tuesdays work for others? Switching up locations sounds good too, for variation.

Cool, should we try to get a session together for this coming tuesday June 24th? I don't really care which location we go. either pawtuckaway or cobbetts works.

Fundy Cove put in:

Pawtuckaway Lake from the Fundy Cove boat launch. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6343900

This is not in the State Park. Plenty of parking, (no entry fee), This side of the lake has lots of little coves to explore but it is a popular put in for fishermen that can get upset if we take too many spaces. We can play it ear before real summer heat arrives.

Directions to The Public Launch:
Take exit 5 off RT 101, take a right
Follow to set of lights at RT 27, take a left
Take first right on to Route 156 Nottingham Rd (then becomes Raymond Rd at town line) Go about 5.3 miles and take a left onto Deerfield Rd.
Follow for about 1.9 miles and take a left to the public launch .4 miles (dirt road)

For a $5 entrance fee to Pawtuckaway, there is always Neils Cove which is close to the main beach. It is closer for most but we can talk about it later as another option

Doug