NH skills practice sessions?

dcycleman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My next task is getting my gear organized to attend the inaugural NH skills practice session at the Fundy Cove boat launch on Pawtuckaway Lake this evening. See you there.

I'll be the one with the skin-on-frame!

I had a good time too, I'm glad others are interested. Great to have such a cool group of people to learn from. I'm up for whatever spot people want to go to next.

I paddle the merrimack out of hooksett weekly and the current isn't bad.

Shall we try your home base on July 1st? Care to post directions, Google link, etc?

-Bill

P.S.

I'm leaving in the morning for the Hudson River Greenland Festival, so I probably won't read this forum again until sometime Monday.

Sure, The spot I launch from is the rowing clubs launch behind the hooksett district court. You enter the district court drive way, continue past, go by the dog park, and the launch is at the end. The address is 101 Merrimack street, Hooksett NH. I would provide a link, however I am not very computer savvy. I guess the most direct route would be to take exit 11 off 93, take a left on hackett hill road (from off ramp) continue to 3A (also west river Rd), left on 3A, continue to Main street, hard right on Main street, cross merrimack, take first left onto merrimack street, follow past falls (power boat launch below falls) to district courthouse on left.

I've never been there, but I think this Google Maps link shows the court house and the boat launch.

I should be able to join you there on Tuesday, July 1st, 2014. After last week's traffic, I'll just say I expect to arrive sometime after 5pm.

I see the dam is a short way down river. Should late arrivals just turn right, and paddle upstream till they find the other participants, or do you normally just stay in sight of the put-in?

David and I had a good practice session in Hookset last night. Fewer plants, fewer bugs, and deeper water than we enjoyed at Pawtuckaway, though you must like dogs to enjoy a put-in next to a dog park. Sorry you could not make it Liz.

Time to start thinking about next week, and ideally to pick yet another location. David's original post also suggested:

robinson pond in hudson comes to mind or cobbetts pond in windham.

I have not even driven by either location. Can anyone confirm they are kayak friendly? We could also go somewhere else if someone wants to suggest another venue. Though I would prefer to keep rotating through new possibilities at least for now.

Who's still interested in joining us, and where do you want to meet?

I am sorry I missed yesterday's practice - glad you both had a good time. An idea for a future session might be a salt venue (tide dependent) - launch out of Odiorne and go up to the beaches in Little Harbor. Great place to practice and if conditions are right, the

Wentworth Bridge can have some good currents. As always, close for some, far for others. I have heard of people practicing in Great Pond in Kingston, but I haven't been there.

Last weeks practice was fun for sure, Bill shared some of his rolling knowledge. Conditions were good.

I'm in again this week if others are still interested. I know that Robinson pond is kayak friendly , I am unsure of the rules at cobbetts pond. I'd be up to try out odiorne as well, never been there, looks nice.

How about July 8th (tomorrow) we launch from the Odiorne boat ramp? Warning, no porta-potties. For those who have never been there, if you arrive late head right following the coast to find us. Looks like high tide should be around 8pm, so we won't have to walk through much muck when we take out. The following week low tide is around 8pm which is not as nice.

An idea for a future session might be a salt venue (tide dependent) - launch out of Odiorne and go up to the beaches in Little Harbor.

Then July 15th (next week) we go to Robinson Pond in Hudson? Does that link look correct David? I have never been there, so I just used Google and guessed.

robinson pond in hudson

-Bill

P.S.

Besides the tides, I prefer that order because I should have time to drive to Odiorne and back this week (2.5 hours in the car total). Next week I'll be much more time constrained, and Robinson is only one hour total driving time from my home.

Bill-

"How about July 8th (tomorrow) we launch from the Odiorne boat ramp? Warning, no porta-potties. " If you continue East on Pioneer Road past the boat ramp about 1/2 mile you will come to the Science Center which has facilities. I don't know what time they close however.