NSPN CAM On Water Day, Sunday June 1, 2014

prudenceb

A huge group gathered at Odiorne/Seavey Creek on Sunday, and promptly split into two groups - basically the same configuration we had for the last on- water CAM session, with a few additions and subtractions. This time, our fearless CAM organizers were Peter and Lorrie for the rockier/ wavier group, and Phil and Bob L for the moving-into-livelier-water group.

It was a completely spectacular day. Sparkly blue, bouncy water, bright sun, enough wind to make it interesting. I was having such fun on the water, I hardly took any pictures, so this will be a brief report.

The Lorrie/ Peter group did some rolls and rescues before we headed out past the breakwater and headed out to the lighthouse. From there to investigate two possible landing sites on little islands off of Gerrish, but birds had first dibs so we opted for a surfy landing on Gerrish. We ate lunch, had a surfy launch, paddled along the shore where it seemed every time we looked away Peter was in the water, generally separated from his paddle. Usually near rocks. Rescues and tows ensued. Lorrie decided that the day was making her seasick ( what is it with these two?!), so we had to deal with that. Lessons were learned throughout the day.

Lorrie talked every single person in our group back and forth thru a rocky area. We had another thru-the-rocks approach to land on Wood, then back across the bouncy Piscataqua on a line that allowed us to watch big swells crashing across the breakwater without getting smashed cnto the rocks, too.

Members of the group led the rest of us on different legs of the voyage throughout the day. We communicated well, stayed together as a group, made safe crossings and had a blast all day!

We even had a PPPO where onion rings, beer and burgers, fish and burritos were snarfed down by our sun blasted, wind blown happy group not too far from the launch.

Special thanks to Phil, Lorrie, Bob and Peter for organizing the on- water parts of the day. It was really nice to have more club members step into these roles in the absence of Scott and Rick. Our group got the benefit of Lorrie's skills, recently honed in the scary wild conditions in Wales. I hope that the rest of us will benefit in the future from all this knowledge, and that we will all pass forward to others as well.

A stunningly successful CAM on-water training day!

pru

Thanks for posting the trip report, Pru. It was a really fun day on the water. Thanks to all of the participants for your enthusiasm and willingness to jump in, lead segments and try new and hone old skills! I feel lucky to have had the chance to work with all of you! Also, a big thanks to my co-leader, Peter and to Scott Camlin, who did all of the pre-trip organization in absentia from New Zealand!

Yes, special thanks to Scott Camlin: in the preceding weeks there was interesting communication between New Zealand, the Pacific Northwest, and Massachusetts, culminating in a roster and float plan with RSVPs matched exactly with the actual participants who showed up for the workshop.

And special thanks to Phil , Lorrie and Bob Levine, I'm confident that the groups valued their efforts as much as I did. The weather, conditions , location and, most importantly, the participants were perfectly suited for this workshop. I second what Pru said; " We communicated well, stayed together as a group, made safe crossings and had a blast all day!"

This was my third year of participating in the valuable Cam on the water event. I usually attend for the fun and comaraderie; what surprises me is that I often come away learning new things. Yesterday was no different. While our group was not dubbed "more adventurous" several of our party capsized in breaking water and one performed a splendid combat role. Way to go Sherrie! We spent most of our day outside of the Little Harbor breaker and had some fun with serious water breaking over rocks . Phil and Bob were excellent coaches and I think a day like this demonstrates the NSPN motto of pay it forward. Much thanks and appreciation for the organizers.

I was a first-time CAMer. I have to say that I love the CAM workshops a lot! I learned much more than I expected and had the opportunities to experience various conditions which I might be hesitate to try during previous regular trips. CAM workshops built up my skills, as wells as confidence. Sincere thanks to organizers and trip leaders, Scott, Peter, Bob, Phil, Lorrie, Paul, Rick, and many others.

There were many moments that I would remember from the workshops. One of those moments was playing among rocks and breakers. I video-taped this moment using a camera mounted on my PFD. You could watch it on YouTube. Thank you Bob for guiding me through it!

Edited by Robin-HG

Some photos of the trip.

[Please let me know if you are uncomfortable with your image posted in the public forum and I will delete the photo.]

Beach briefing.

post-102380-0-31881100-1401765925_thumb.

Bob/Phil group was launching.

post-102380-0-15031500-1401765933_thumb.

Shari and Mike

post-102380-0-45627300-1401765940_thumb.

Gene

post-102380-0-44924300-1401765948_thumb.

Bob (and Jackie)

post-102380-0-15054500-1401765955_thumb.

Jonathan

post-102380-0-14818100-1401765962_thumb.

Mike(?) was on the wave!

post-102380-0-47000100-1401765982_thumb.

My luxury lunch. I am feeling hungry now!!

post-102380-0-34339200-1401765996_thumb.

Edited by Robin-HG

If you want to get in on the fun in the second video go BCU and at 4-5 star you will do that. Rick, I and others had some good times doing this. In the video I thought they might have tied one line to the stern and one to the bow for better control. Great fun...

That HAS to be 5-Star level stuff. There ain't no way us 4-Star aspirants are ready for THAT kind of landing. Sure, we practiced a rock landing in small swells, but we were not at risk of having our boats, our ourselves, washed out to sea or pounded into oblivion. That definitely takes a different level of training.

Robin, great video! After watching that, I no longer think that our group should have been considered the "more adventurous" group. I definitely agree with your exclamation at the end - cool!

Yup, the second video is definitely a 5* training type of landing. Andy, are you planning to work with John Carmody this summer? Would be a really good choice for you given your sense of adventure. He'll put you through your paces and challenge you while also keeping you safe.

ha...that video brings back memories!

yuppers, landing in no landing zones is/was part of BCU 5* and we had to do something like that on the suss. and if you think that looks like fun, the launch was even better! I don't know if that training is done in 4* leader award level - that remit was expanded a few years back to lessen the gap between 4 and 5 star awards but certain it can be. in any event, landing on a less than inviting shore is part and parcel of what you end up doing in 5*

the way it works is that initially the "bravest and stupidest" goes in a bit first with a compatriots line attached to the stern of his (note "his" as certainly the stupidest will be male) boat...he dumps and attaches his tow line to the bow of his boat as his compatriot holds the boat off of the rocks as guy in water swims in while tethered to his boat...swimmer scrambles up, gets himself settled and pulls boat in as compatriot comes in a bit or lets his line out....between the two points they control the boat from getting smashed onto rocks...once that boat is ashore the guy on the rocks disconnects the towline from his boat but KEEPS the line as it is still attached to the guy on the water who now ditches and attaches that line to the bow of his boat while another on water compatriot attaches a towline to the stern of that boat. swimmer swims in and assists with next boat coming ashore. repeat as needed.

it takes a couple times to sort it out and generally there's a mess in the middle. where a helmet and keep an eye on the line in the water and the people in the water.

fun, fun, fun. SCOTLAND on FRIDAY. Outer Heb, St Kilda...man, I freakin love this sport!

anyways, when i get back bring some helmets and some band aids and we can go try it.

Edited by rick stoehrer

Hey all,

Just wanted to say it was a pleasure to paddle with folks on Sunday, and to hear tales from the "more adventurous" group afterwards at dinner. It's thanks to NSPN and the mentors we found here that are skills are where they are today. Lorrie and I were thinking we'll have to organize some similar trips later in the summer.

best

Phil

Robin,

Yup, that was me on that wave. I'd have sworn both ends were out of the water...and now there's proof! Thanks!

I'll even get you out of the breakers before getting you back in the boat next time (now that we both know better). You got a couple of good facefuls of water, but you got back in. You're tough.

Robin,

Thanks for posting the video and pictures. It was a perfect day for training and practice. Thanks to all the participants and leaders; and especially to Scott Camlin for organizing the CAM sessions this year.

Rick and Andy; looks interesting. Will definitely get a group together to try it out. Thanks.

Bob

Robin,

I enjoyed the video you posted of difficult landings. While the individuals were impressive it was the group behavior that most impressed me. While I would never contemplate that kind of landing I'm sure we have a number of NSPNers who as a group could do something similar. And while I would not boast of such skills, if I was with such a group that I trusted, I would not reject such a landing. First let me acquire a plastic boat!

Gene,

It was nice paddling with you last Sunday. The landing video was posted by Andy. I enjoy watching it as well. I was also thinking that I need a plastic boat for such landing practice :)

Robin,

I enjoyed the video you posted of difficult landings. While the individuals were impressive it was the group behavior that most impressed me. While I would never contemplate that kind of landing I'm sure we have a number of NSPNers who as a group could do something similar. And while I would not boast of such skills, if I was with such a group that I trusted, I would not reject such a landing. First let me acquire a plastic boat!

Gene and Robin,

You are correct that a plastic boat is highly desirable for such a landing. However, should you acquire one, make sure your paddling companions have them as well. When I've practiced in no landing zones, he/she who has the plastic boat is usually the one sent in first to land as probe... :-)

Yup, the second video is definitely a 5* training type of landing. Andy, are you planning to work with John Carmody this summer? Would be a really good choice for you given your sense of adventure. He'll put you through your paces and challenge you while also keeping you safe.

Lorrie: Something with John is already in the works this summer. Hope it works out. Can't wait.

Rick, I as well would love to take you up on your offer. Hopefully we can all get our schedules to play nice with each other so that we can find a date to do it.