NSPN CAM On Water Day, Sunday June 1, 2014

prudenceb

Rick, you lucky duck-Outer Hebrides is definitely one on my bucket list! Agree those landings are fun. And Rob and Andy are fortunate to have you offering to guide them, since they are definitely places where boats and bodies can get broken, too!

Edited by Lorrie

we'll see if they think they're lucky when its all said and done!

really looking forward to the OB...we're going to day trip out of North Uist and then if the weather holds we're taking the kayaks on a high speed RIB out to St Kilda which is on my bucket list....although i am fairly certain that taking a power boat over is cheating. Never the less, vast sea bird populations some lively water and spectacular scenery awaits....should be an absolute blast.

Rick, looking at the Difficult Landings video again and reading your words about simultaneous bow and stern-lines leading to landing paddler and still in boat paddler, how do you manage the enormous forces if the boat cannot swivel freely like in the video? I see danger of the lines being ripped out of people's hands, people being ripped back into the water under the circumstances in the video.

swimmer isnt towing his boat...there is slack on his end. onwater person is holding empty boat off rocks....when swimmer is ashore, on water provides slack and guy on shore brings it in fast as hell. there can be a lot of force...make sure YOU are well situated and dont wrap line around any part of you or your hands, etc...it can be dangerous. boats in that video were at mercy of the water and not held off..you can destroy a boat pretty quick that way depending on whats going on and where you are landing.

I must admit I did agree with Ed Lawson in watching that particular landing site and video. Wondered if there might have been a quieter, better option on the other side of the rock... Maybe not, and maybe the choice of that site was specific and for a reason. That being said, was there another safer option to land on?

Safer, quieter, less exciting options? Probably. But will those option always be available? And maybe you find yourself in circumstances where THAT LANDING IS THE SAFER / IMMEDIATE option.

The point of the training is that you can land in a no landing zone if you NEED to...if you NEED to get to shore RIGHT NOW and there's only an inhospitable spot you don't want to sort that out for the first time just then. Train hard, paddle easy. It would be ideal if you NEVER had to take the risk of landing in a spot like that but you don't know what's coming just over the horizon and maybe it's better to train for getting out of the way!

I have no idea regarding the circumstances of the day when they shot their video but it was just as likely a training exercise as anything else.

Helmets...Bandaids...it'll be fine.

Edited by rick stoehrer

Totally agree better to train hard and practice in conditions when not under duress so you have the skills should you find yourself in a situation where you need to use those skills! And, as you point out, we do not know the circumstances surrounding the video. My only point was that when doing a landing in a no landing zone, you don't always have to choose the most Rambo route. It is a potentially high consequence scenario, so check out all the options to find the best route. You of course know this, Rick so I may be preaching to the choir...

I say find the option that suits your skills and your training goal...just have an idea of who you are and what you're getting into.

The video group likely understood their level of risk, assumed it and were comfortable assuming it. Other groups will no doubt be assuming different exposure to risks with their respective different skill sets, environment, etc.

To me, how they did it and looking at where the break was coming in on that video (from R to L) I think they take a "safer" route than the one that might have been directly exposed if you went R about 90 degrees. Looks like...I don't know...wasn't there.

I agree, you don't have to hit the max Rambo button every time but only landing on sandy beaches with tourists and umbrella drinks doesn't do you a whit of training good. Start of the sandy beach and gently work your way up towards maximum Rambo.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam - I shall find a way or make one....do that.