...and then there is the issue of aging!!!

mesbennett

Yes, there comes a time when one must admit that some activities of youth are really not doable forever...For me, it is time that I admit that big water paddling is one of those actvities.Surfing and rock hopping,10 day kayaking in the bays of Maine are now too challenging. It is time to focus on less demanding physical activities and endevors.

I joined NSPN in 2004 and am very grateful to all those who, over the years, have coached me, and afforded great opportunities to learn and hone skills, and to have a great time on the waters! There were some very special people involved in that process and to them I give them my thanks and very warm regards! The sad news includes the fact that I have just listed my favorite boat, Force 3, and a paddle in the classifieds. I am exceedingly grateful to the advice (from an NSPNer who knows who she is) to NOT sell my Mystic when I bought the Force 3. I will love paddling my Mystic on lakes and coves for several years to come. I wish all "Good Journeys! mb

I am saddened by the announcement, but gladdened by the memories we share from numerous paddles together, both day and extended trips. You were always an asset to the group Mary, in every way, and are an inspiration to the rest of us with your positive, lovin' life, can-do attitude and generosity. All the best as you start the next chapter. Perhaps you'll join us for a certain mellow weekend in September?

gary

Mary,

You really have been an inspiration - and model - for the possibilities that lie ahead for us in life and out on the water even as we age - gracefully I hope! I've enjoyed the several trips I've been on with you, and wish that there could be more!

But enjoy the peaceful lakes and coves... It's all good!

pru

Very nice to have met you. I was always impressed on how you loaded those boats way up high on your traveling home.

I love paddling lakes, coves & estuaries for it's bio diversity.

I am sure when you are paddling these waters you will graciously add to it's diversity with a smile for all to see.

Best of all to you & happy paddling as well.

I often think paddling about around the outside of Great Wass with you. When we disappeared from each others view while in the troughs of swells, I knew you were close by from the hoops and hollers you issued as you surfed down swells that went on to ride up the face of Red Head.

Mary:

You are not ending your paddling days, just finding different venues!

Like others, I have many memories of your intrepid journeys and ageless spirit. Bob's mention of diving for a chart is one of them as it was my chart. On one of our Bailey Island weekends, I somehow lost control of my laminated chart which slipped to the bottom in about 12 feel of cold Casco Bay water. Before I could finish debating with myself whether the chart was worth a dive, you slipped out of your boat, disappeared and came up shortly with the chart and a quiet smile.

My most recent memory was registering at the Cobscook Bay campground last summer, only to turn around and recognize a certain RV with a familiar Force 3 on top pulling into the parking lot. Yep, just Mary back from Alaska, out for a little weekend trip after volunteering for Maine Audubon at the Hog Island birding camp in Muscongus bay for the summer. The plan for the fall was to drive to Texas to vollunteer at another bird sanctuary before heading back to Alaska in 2014.

At the campfire that night, you told of selling the condo and giving away various items, summed up in your emerging philophy: "less stuff, bigger life!"

That ain't aging, it's wisdom.

Hope to get a paddle wet with you sometime.

Scott

Mary,

I also have fond memories of you doing the current dance at Woods Hole, Bailey Island trips, leadership training, Jewel Island camping, just to name a few. Last year on Jewel we talked about our mutual love of the Impex Force 3 - one of the first performance boats made for us wee people. I remember during that festive occasion, I told you that I liked a piece of paddling equipment that you had on your pfd and you immediately offered to give it to me. I was taken aback by your kindness and generosity, but not necessarily surprised having come to know you as a gracious, kind and gentle but strong woman. I don't know if you are aware but you were sorely missed by many of us when you took off in your RV to the wilds of Alaska some years ago.

A toast to the many happy memories of paddling a "Force" -

Les

Mary,

Reading this thread makes me hope our archives captures it - forever. I can't remember the name of the campground we stayed at when you had just gotten your RV and we were trying to figure out a method for you to load your kayak (I think then it was an Explorer LV that would not paddle straight) by your self, preparatory to heading to Alaska the first time. Wow, I thought. This woman does not quit! I am with Scott, different venue, next adventure. Best wishes, Liz

Mary,
I am hopeful that our virtual hugs have been reaching you!

My first memory of the intrepid Mary Bennett was when we met on our MIKCO 5 day sea kayaking class back sometime around 2001. There were many trips and classes that I would turn around and see you pulling in with your rig, from Georgia through Maine. I would use you as an example for all the women I have encountered that thought they couldn't do "it". Whatever "it" was, from carrying boats themselves and loading them on their cars to paddling the bumpy stuff and moving water.

You have been inspiring me since that first meeting!

Enjoy the journeys through calm waters and think of the many smiles that paddling has brought to you through the years.

Best,

Suz

It's somewhat ironic that just last weekend I was discussing loading boats on vehicles with someone and regaling him with the tale of "amazing Mary" who despite having two knee replacements, being petite of stature and of "mature" age, is able to hoist a boat up onto her motor home. You are truly one of the strongest, most determined women I have had to pleasure to know and as others have said, you are an inspiration. Enjoy your transition to mellower waters; I'm sure you will continue to inspire others you meet there.

Mary, I haven't paddled with you in forever (before you left for Alaska), but will never forget how inspiring you were. I admire your independence, determination, sense of adventure and sense of humor. The funniest memory is from when you gave me a tour of your RV and explained how you had to cut the bed in half to make room for your bike. I'm sure your paddling days are not over, just a bit calmer. Keep enjoying life and inspiring others to do the same.

Best to you, Gay

Mary:

I have no doubt you and your Mystic will have many enjoyable hours upon the sea and perhaps some weekends as well.

Peter Habeler, one of the extreme mountaineers, once said that when he could no longer to hard routes, he would do easy ones. When he could no longer do easy routes, he would walk hiking trails, but no matter what he would enjoy the mountains and find joy there. May it be with you and the sea.

Ed Lawson

Yup!

It was the 2012 Jewell Island trip. If you pan over to Eagle Island and zoom in on the north end you'll see the rest of the fleet pulled out on the beach. Rene (Brambor) discovered the shot when he was showing his dad where we had gone that weekend. He posted the image here on the bulletin board.

When I saw the shot I wondered if the satellite had also caught Mary and me circumnavigating Jewell, and, sure enough, there we were!

Yup!

It was the 2012 Jewell Island trip. If you pan over to Eagle Island and zoom in on the north end you'll see the rest of the fleet pulled out on the beach. Rene (Brambor) discovered the shot when he was showing his dad where we had gone that weekend. He posted the image here on the bulletin board.

When I saw the shot I wondered if the satellite had also caught Mary and me circumnavigating Jewell, and, sure enough, there we were!

Amazing -- here's Eagle -- http://bit.ly/17H9pwZ

Mary,

I don't think I paddled with you that often, but I do remember being at Farnhams, when you were leaving for somewhere - probably after paddling at Conomo. Hope to run into you in quiet water where I spend a lot of time if I can.

Anne

Mary,

I remember paddling Chatham with you and the seals many years ago. You may not remember me but I do remember you and the RV. I wish you the best days of paddling calmer fair. It was Gertrude Stein another adventurer who claimed that "We're always the same age inside." Getting on myself I feel that and wish that for you too.