Rescue ethics and responsibility

josko

While downwind surfing in Vineyard sound today, I came upon a tandem rec boat with issues. No skirt, one paddler bailing with a gal. milk jug, and the other paddling. (No wet-suits, cheap PFD's.) I gave them a pump, and towed them 1/4 mile to shore near Taurpaulinn cove, Naushon with one paddler pumping, and the other bailing. We made it, but they were pretty waterlogged.

The catch is, they wanted to be towed ~6 miles downwind to their put-in. I offered to call Sea Tow, but they declined after I told them the likely cost. I told them it's be dangerous to put to sea with their boat (tide had switched and wind picked up to ~15 kts against ~2 kts of tide), but they could call 911 (they had a cell phone, and it had a signal) or walk along the Nushon jeep trail to Hadley's harbor. We parted in less than the best of terms.

So what would you all have done? I brought them to safety (shore), and think that fulfills my rescue obligations. I suppose I could have towed them to Falmouth, but it would have been difficult at best without a spray skirt.

Saving them from a potential negative outcome-like drowning certainly trumps their interest in convenience or trying to save some money. Their lack of preparation and equipment for the ocean conveys a harbinger for their priorities. Sorry you had to be part of this, but you absolutely did all that was necessary. Had they launched again to reach their put-in I would have recommended alerting the CG.

You saved them from potentially life threatening ilsituation. Good. Saving them from spending money is not your problem. I would have probably just accompanied them to closest oort. Let them paddle and taste their decision making. It is a healthy exercise.

Josko, good for you for helping out when needed! I think you did exactly what needed to be done by providing the pump and the tow to the nearest safety. Aside from the possibility that they would not have wanted to pay YOU to tow them (they don't sound like very grateful people), we have been trained to recognize that towing should always be a last resort and used as quickly as possible. Towing 6 miles is an extremely difficult and dangerous task for both the tower and those in need. Once you got them to land, there were other options available to them that were safer to them and yourself other than towing. If the CG had to pluck them out of the water (hopefully still alive), I don't think the paddlers would have argued with where they were taken and what arrangements they would have to make.

You absolutely did the right thing. By the way, I was looking to see if "rescuee" was actually a term to use for a person being rescued, and it is not. The word to use is survivor. Be proud of yourself and don't think anything less of it.

You helped more than anyone should expect and brought them to a safe shore. They were no longer in immediate danger. There was A problem, you helped fixed it - you aren't responsible for fixing ALL their problems.

In regards to towing them back to their launch - if someone expects a service then they should expect to have to pay for it. Unless of course, it says "lackey" or "free tows - ask me how" right there on your boat.

They could try Falmouth Harbormaster (don't know which HM would have jurisdiction?) Sea Tow and the Coasties....they had a phone.

Perhaps it's best to leave demographics out of this.

I'm in agreement with the prevailing opinion here....but out of curiosity...what do you suppose the approximate age of the rescuees was?

While I understand the curiosity regarding the ages of the survivors, maybe we should accept Josko's discretion for whatever the reasons. Regardless of their age, sex, race, or anything else, the nature of the situation remains unchanged: Josko did exactly what he should have done, and the gratitude of the survivors was lacking, whether they were 21 or 61.

It sounds like you rescued them and kept all three of you safe by not towing them SIX miles in changing ocean conditions. I think all of us feel outrage that 2 people would be so ungrateful, selfish and cheap to expect their rescuer, an ocean kayaker-one of us, to put all three of you in potential danger. It doesn't matter what age they are, we already know what kind of people they are (and they come in all ages!). It says something about yourself that you did the right thing and set a great limit on them when rescuing them and now on us to protect everyone (even if we are curious and would love to judge them even more!). Good for you!

Oh, fer cryin out loud people... They were two males, perhaps in their late 20's or in their 30's. Wouold it make a difference it they were female, different age, or of a specific ethnic background?

II think that age group has high expectations. They are accustomed to having things solved for them.

Perhaps you did such a good job towing that your towing looked easy to them raising their expectation that you would solve the dilemna for them.

BTW, in the original descriptions, a comment was made they were wearing cheap life jackets. Note that cheap life jackets float a person just as well as an expensive one. The difference is that the expensive one is usually more comfortable and fits the user better. Therefore the user is more likely to have it on.

... or the Swedish bikini team...

Funny, speaking of swimming attire that reminds me of the day I was trolling for tarpon going to the ocean through the Palm Beach inlet. I noticed two women on SUPs calling for help (earlier I had warned them to stay far away from the inlet). Anyway, they were caught in an outgoing tide. To be safe, I first did a “Security” call to the harbor patrol and then towed the two SUPs about a mile. I doubt that I could have towed them much farther because the current was at about 2 knots and the wind was against us too. The harbor patrol boat didn’t arrive until we reached the safety of Peanut Island.

Towing details: I didn’t have my tow line. I told the women to lie down flat on their boards. Then the first woman held on to my stern and the second woman held the feet of the other woman.

Note: The two women granted me permission to post the picture here. There’s a funny picture of the actual tow, but, unfortunately, I can’t find it and I lost the email address of the guy who took that picture.

post-100270-0-34962100-1371077744_thumb.

Edited by leong