Outside kayak storage

prudenceb

I have moved from my old house, where I had a garage and was able to lower and raise the kayak from the roof of my car (the BEST system ever) with a pully system to hang from the garage ceiling, to a new house with no garage, no other indoor storage space, and a tight outside storage area that would likely be on a fence.

My house has a stockade fence, and I'm thinking I'd like to be able to store the kayak on something connected to the fence. The pickets themselves are not strong, but there are posts of course. Has anyone either built a storage rack attached to a fence, or bought a commercial one that attached to a fence? Any advice on the best (and easiest! - I'm no carpenter/tools person like many of you...) way to do this?

Does it make sense to store kayak upside down on a rack (which takes up more width in my very narrow area) or sideways, in a kind of J rack - or does it matter?

pru

Pru:

Perhaps best to verify from sites, but I believe the typical storage recommendation from folks like Tiderace is to store a kayak upside down with the kayak resting on supports positioned under the hatch rims.

Ed Lawson

The simplest thing would be something that looks like a rooftop rack and it would be free standing (not attached to your fence). You could also move it and use it if you were outfitting/repairing your boat. You probably want a tarp to prevent UV damage to your boat. Upside down won't prevent furry woodland creatures (or those with exoskeletons) from moving in but will prevent water buildup. Because this sort of thing might have a larger footprint than you wish you could instead built something "L-shaped" that attaches to two posts with a "lip" such that you could mount the boat vertically, essentially a "J-style" scheme. Neither of these projects should be as difficult as learning the forward stroke and perhaps you could purchase "J-style" hardware and mount them to the posts. Don't forget the tarp, especially if you have a plastic boat.

Does it make sense to store kayak upside down on a rack (which takes up more width in my very narrow area) or sideways, in a kind of J rack - or does it matter?

Would build something simple that ties into your existing fence (by itself likely to fail) and incorporate nylon webbing X 2 for supprting kayak fore and aft, kayak on edge, cockpit facing you (not fence). Would not recommend putting pressure on delicate cockpit covers [as in upside-down storage]. Have had problems with my installed deck compass going kerfluey (wouldn't rotate to correct position after up-righting) after short-term upside-down storage. Comical spinning acrobatics to finally get it to behave.

Hi Pru-

We're in a similar situation and in the winter our boats are hung on their sides from the fence pickets using older straps that I wouldn't use on the car anymore. Only thing I've been concerned about is excess snow buildup with larger storms, so I clear that to decrease ice and accompanying weight buildup.

best

Phil

Edited by Phil_Allen

I built a structure using 4 x 4 as uprights with 8' 2 x 4 arms (cross bar) notched into the 4 x 4. There are three levels to the structure and the boats are hung by straps from the arms. The two upright 4 x 4 are connected at the top and diagonally. In the winter I cover the whole rack with a 20' x 16' tarp and in the summer the trees in the area are my sun screen. It has survived two hurricanes and is still strong enough to climb on. Each arm can hold two boats on their side (4 boats per level), I figured that that would keep the skeg or the cockpit from getting full of ice.

Pictures to follow

Pru,

I had good luck on the walls of my garage with Phil's technique. I screwed a few eye bolts into the wall with large 'beaners attached to them, cinched up a few wide straps a few feet fore and aft of the cockpit, and then just lifted my boat up to the eye-bolts and clips into the straps. I screwed some minicell foam into the wall so that the hull wouldn't rub. Also make sure that whatever you do, you tie it down to the fence. ;-)

~Chris

Built a rack using 1.5 Dia PVC pipe. It's all weather and you can customize it to hold multiple boats and attach a cover. It's Light weight, so it's easily moved around, but can be secured to ground/ fence or other statioanry object. It's inexpensive to build, maintain and repair, if needed.

DougW (the other Doug)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My one concern about just securing the boat with straps attached to something attached to the fence is in regards to how difficult it could be to lift the boat up and slide it into the straps. And how do you secure the straps to the fence or posts?

Phil - do you just rest one end of the boat on the ground while you lift the other up to secure and then lift the other end? Not getting any younger here, and I want whatever the arrangement is to maximize ease of securing the boat.

pru

Pru, it is dead-simple: get 2" webbing and put brass eyelets in; buy those big plastic-coated hooks that you find in the hardware stores and that are intended for hanging bicycles in the garage. With those big hooks in place, screwed into the timber frame or whatever, and the ends of the strap now in situ, you may lower your boat to the ground after removing it from your car, then lift one end at a time, to slip each into its loop. These loops should be somewhere around hatch positions or bulkheads, so that the boat hangs from areas of maximum strength -- got it? My boats hung like this, very happily, for several years (between paddling!) when I had an open garage: one or two from the roof beams and one on the wall. On the wall or fence, the boat will hang on its side. It is a good solution to space-saving storage, I reckon.

Where do you live? New England Small Craft definitely stocks the webbing (nylon) and so do stores like Lowe's and...whatsitsname? The big, orange-logo place? You know what I mean. In the latter, too, you may find the kits for putting in eyelets -- get the bigger size. If you are anywhere near Gloucester, I can perhaps help with that.

Oh, PS: if you have no difficulty carrying your boat, say, on your shoulder, you might approach the loops (depending on the height at which you have positioned them) and simply coax one end at a time into its loop of webbing...if you're really clever! (Without having to lower the boat to the ground beforehand)

Edited by Pintail

Remember that the toppling-over forces acting against the fence are greater with increasing height; for overall ease of handling, consider positioning the final boat position as low as possible, keeping in mind average snow depth for your area,

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My one concern about just securing the boat with straps attached to something attached to the fence is in regards to how difficult it could be to lift the boat up and slide it into the straps. And how do you secure the straps to the fence or posts?

Phil - do you just rest one end of the boat on the ground while you lift the other up to secure and then lift the other end? Not getting any younger here, and I want whatever the arrangement is to maximize ease of securing the boat.

pru

Hi Pru- It depends. If Lorrie's helping, I'll have one end loop (usually the most difficult to access) at normal height and the other loop very loose so it can stretch over the end of the boat. Walk one end of the boat into the "front" loop. Then I just cinch up the rear loop till approximately level. Nothing preventing you from getting straps long enough to go around the boat while it's on the ground and then just cinching it up one end at a time until it's at a height that works for you.

We dont do it (public yard in a condo association) but I like the idea of padding the fence posts with some foam, or something slippery like plastic.

best

Phil

Pru,

When I stored outside, I did a 4 x 4 system that allowed for storage of multiple boats. It was safe, secure and possible to lock boats along with covering.

If you are going to hang on the fence, it seems it would be much easier to attached something to the posts so that you can place the boat on it. The whole thing about loops and cinching seems to be a PITA...

My husband made some for me to hang on the side of the barn but indoors. Then just pad them with a bit of foam. Best to have a means to tie them also so that you don't have to worry on windy days.

I built a simple A-frame rack using a pair of sawhorse brackets, 2x4's and 2x2's. I made mine to accommodate a tarp, but if you don't want to cover your boats, it's even simpler to build. I set in on 6x6 patio blocks and staked it to the ground with rebar. It has withstood several winter's worth of abuse and the only thing I've had to do to it is to replace the tarp once due to sun damage (better the tarp than the boats. The basic design can be scaled to hold as many or as few boats as you need.

I just added a tutorial on making this rack on my website: http://www.briannystrom.com

Pru,

If you're worried about lifting the boat up to the fence, what about a couple block and tackles? Yes, it would add to the cost of the set-up, but you could attach the upper block to the fence with an eye-bolt, clip the lower blocks into the straps while the boat sits on the ground, then simply hoist it up to the desired height. Probably similar to the way you had it set up in your garage...

I also store outside, but no place along the fences seemed convenient, so had to sacrifice some ground. Cut the back and legs (to about 6 inches) from two of those cheap plastic deck chairs. Keep some of the arm pieces on the chair to act as a guide for the boat. Put the Explorer upside down on the chair seats about at the hatches. I found this to be OK for lifting by first turning the boat on the side while standing at the cockpit (midway between the two chairs). Still have a lift off though. I also clean off snow in the winter, but don't think it is necessary. Have never had a problem with winds, but could weigh down tarp with some rocks.

Bob

Pru,

My boat is hung on the side of a chain link fence.

I can tell you how and show you how I put it on and take it off before our next Board meeting.

Pru:

Come over to our place in Belmont and I'll show you our simple webbing strap setup up. In our case, it's against a garage wall--holds three kayaks just fine on their sides--and can easily be adapted to fence posts. The garage roof leaked for a while a few years ago, so I can even show you how to tip the kayaks-on-edge so the water doesn't go into the cockpits and hatches. Easy peasy, like Christopher says.

Home these days so can do evenings or weekend.

Scott

Thanks, Phil - how do you have the straps attached to the fence - or do you just have them looped over a picket so they're not actually attached?

pru

Sorry Pru, I missed this follow up. I just loop them over several pickets, no fixed attachment. It's worked so far.

Phil

Hi Pru; Are you located anywhere near N Cambridge? I'd be happy to show you my setups (one inside the garage and one outside, both against the garage wall) which might give you ideas on how to do yours. I'd probably go with simple racks attached to the posts myself, but hanging loops would work too. I've "built" many simple setups in various locations over the years, I'd be glad to give you some tips.

I use this (or something like it) -- just straps hung from supplied screw hooks -- no fancy cradles, struts or what-have-you.

Seems a bit overpriced based on the simple materials, but it works. The only possible drawback I see is that there is nothing to keep the boat away from the wall, fence or whatever is behind it. But kayaks are tough enough, and you aren't going to play pendulum games with it. For one boat bought new, I did hang the big sheet of bubble-wrap that it came with on the wall behind.

Scott -- is this what you've got, or did you rig something yourself?

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-3-Boat-Hanger-Set/dp/B003N8AL3M

51Gb4mP7d7L._SX385_.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions. I'm going to be checking out the setups of a few people who live nearby. Beth - N. Cambridge is very close to me. I will PM you re: setting up time to come over and see your hanging boats!

pru

I use this (or something like it) -- just straps hung from supplied screw hooks -- no fancy cradles, struts or what-have-you.

Seems a bit overpriced based on the simple materials, but it works. The only possible drawback I see is that there is nothing to keep the boat away from the wall, fence or whatever is behind it. But kayaks are tough enough, and you aren't going to play pendulum games with it. For one boat bought new, I did hang the big sheet of bubble-wrap that it came with on the wall behind.

Scott -- is this what you've got, or did you rig something yourself?

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-3-Boat-Hanger-Set/dp/B003N8AL3M

51Gb4mP7d7L._SX385_.jpg

I'm not sure, but this looks hard to load and unload. Perhaps this is an easier solution http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11317207#BVRRWidgetID