Outside kayak storage

prudenceb

I'm not sure, but this looks hard to load and unload. Perhaps this is an easier solution http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11317207#BVRRWidgetID

This looks perfect!

And inspired me to look for more:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kayak+wall+hanger

Now it's just a matter of figuring out what will withstand the outdoor elements best - as they seem to be made for hanging inside...

pru

Pru,

You might want to consider a strong tarp completely covering the kayak [one side hanging on the fence (with the J holder's screws through the tarp) and then up and over the kayak]. Perhaps fasten the loose ends of the tarp together with some adjustable length bungees or just some line. For fastening to the fence you could screw through small grommet holes in the tarp (perhaps water/snow proof the holes using something like small rubber hose washers). To give you an idea, but not nearly the same situation, here’s a picture of my kayak on its floating dock covered by a tarp. Also, a picture of the adjustable bungees (sold by Home Depot) that I use to hold the tarp down on one side.

CAM-able Leon

post-100270-0-43462700-1365094940_thumb.

post-100270-0-79656100-1365094981_thumb.

I'm not sure, but this looks hard to load and unload. Perhaps this is an easier solution http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11317207#BVRRWidgetID

Yeah, it is a bit tricky to load and unload, especially for a 50# long boat. If alone, you put the kayak on the floor against the wall behind, pick up one end and secure the strap, then the other end. Finish by rotating the boat to go bottom against the wall. With two people, each can secure their own end while holding it. One trick is to latch the webbing in advance, so all you have to do is slide the loop over the bow or stern.That might also suffice for one person carrying a short boat, but I haven't tried it.

But hey, unless you have some kind of hoist -- and now we are getting complex and maybe expensive -- any system requires manual effort to get the boat up to the level of the holder, whatever it is. Yes, the step of securing the straps adds a complication over just dropping it into some kind of cradle. But we are kayakers -- so we are clever and resourceful, and accustomed to tricks, stupid and smart!

--David.

...I also make free standing wooden J holders for some of our kayaks. You can either screw them to the house, wall, fence, barn or just free style on top of a picnic table etc etc.

I have some kicking around I can show you if you want. I pad them out with foam from the plumbing dept of a local hardware store it's just pipe insulation.. you can always shoot me an p m if you like (I might even have some pics somewhere)