Kayak Camping Frequently Asked Questions.

It would be highly recommended that a new camper venture out with experienced campers for their first couple of trips in order to utilize the assistance and experience of those who have camped before. It is not recommended that a first time camper(s) venture out without someone who can help them avoid mistakes.

One of the problems with borrowing camping equipment is that you have to know how to use it. Particularly, tents have a vast array of setup designs. You will need to work with the borrower ahead of time, or work out some other arrangement, to make sure you can handle the equipment without damaging it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I've not expressed myself well. I only intended to say it can really enhance a trip to interact with those who live along the coast and participate in community activities. For example two of the highlights from trips last year were participating in the Little Cranberry July 4th picnic and spending a leisurely hour or so with coffee and chatting with folks at the chocolate store on Isle au Haut during a chilly, rainy day. Times when a welcoming spirit was certainly present as it is most often. Like Spider, I look forward to my days paddling and camping because those times have been very enjoyable and positive. I guess I'm a Calvinist (this is New England) and take things too seriously to my detriment as it can easily be perceived as being negative.

As participation in outdoor activities is supposedly declining, especially among younger people, I believe it is important to promote these activities. I do not recall there being such interest and activity level on the NSPN forums regarding camping in past years, and I believe those who have "stoked the fire" so to speak deserve a great deal of credit and commendation. As one whose interest in kayaking is more on journeys than the more sporting side of rock gardens and surfing, it is great to see and hopefully to participate in on the water in the coming year.

Ed Lawson

Thank you Ed! I do hope our journeys intersect this year and we are both on the same camping trips.

You are correct that there appears to be some interest in kayak camping. I credit that to last season when Gary, Katherine, PeterB, Rob and Cathy all offered kayak camping trips to our NSPN community. In addition we had the educational session on kayak camping presented by Kate and Suz this week!

This season Pru and I wanted to help and have just today posted three "New to Kayak Camping Trips" to the NSPN calendar for May, June and July. We hope there will be some interest and some paddlers will sign up. Please spred the word.

Warren

If your next kayak camping trip is also your FIRST kayak camping trip then do not assume that the same sleeping patterns you are used to at home will also happen when camping on an island. You may wake up a few times during the night and be wide awake at 6AM. There are many environmental factors that will influence your sleep while camping.

1. I am not a morning person and rarely awaken prior to 8:00AM and could never be ready to launch before 10:00AM. During a multi-day kayak camping trip, will the trip leader understand my needs?

Luckily for me, operators have been working weekends to handle the incoming calls. We have a new question for your reading pleasure.

1. In an earlier posting you mention how you make friends while camping. Please tell me more. I could use more friends.

A wise person once said the true measure of a woman’s/man’s wealth is not in the value of their material possessions but in the number of their friends and true friends.

During certain periods in our adult lives, the daily demands of family and work does not allow as much time as we would like to devote to our friends. At the end of a work day many of us are exhausted and the weekends are filled with chores. Sometimes friendships have a tendency to just drift away.

Sea kayak camping is an activity that will help you gain more friends if that is what you seek. It does, however, sort of sneak up on you. I guess it is due to all the little ways in which we structure our activities. The four person boat carries, the group meal times, the quiet moments when all we do is watch a sun rise or sun set. How we watch a seal swim by in the early morning as we savor a hot cup of coffee or tea.

I guess I never got a chance to do many of these activities when I was on a day paddle. Day paddles are good, but I never felt I got a chance to slow down the pace of my life or get to know any of the other paddlers.

During the summer months, we tend to finish our dinner before the bugs might arrive and some of us enjoy sitting out on the rock ledges with a hot cup of tea until 8:00PM. Some campers like the solitude, but many enjoy the good conversations. These are the good time that build friendships and form memories.

Perhaps this answer has helped you gain a little insight into what kayak camping is all about for many of us.

I hope you will join in on one of the trips as listed on the NSPN calendar. Friends await your arrival!

Warren

Aside from the shared camaraderie with those you are travelling with, you also make friends with others who might be out and about.

Maybe not life time friends but friends for the day or the activity.

Last fall a group of us landed at one island where a zodiac style boat was already.. when we landed it turned out they were having a little treasure hunt for one of the little ones birthday..nice stuff.

First thing we did was ask if we were going to spoil it for them,, but they were all smiles and the young one was all excited to tell us about the treasure and we of course shared his awe at how exciting and special it was. Very cool, I think we made friends that day though we may never know who they are.

Aside from the shared camaraderie with those you are travelling with, you also make friends with others who might be out and about.

Maybe not life time friends but friends for the day or the activity.

Last fall a group of us landed at one island where a zodiac style boat was already.. when we landed it turned out they were having a little treasure hunt for one of the little ones birthday..nice stuff.

First thing we did was ask if we were going to spoil it for them,, but they were all smiles and the young one was all excited to tell us about the treasure and we of course shared his awe at how exciting and special it was. Very cool, I think we made friends that day though we may never know who they are.

I love this sort of unexpected occurrence. One of life's great gifts.

And Warren, you are a good ambassador for the joys of kayak-camping. I hope I can join one of your trips sometime.

NK

Kate,

You and Mark are always welcome to join in on any trip Pru and I plan. Even if the two of you are not new to kayak camping. In many ways Pru and I offer what we term a "No Judgement Zone" for kayak campers. We enjoy very much learning from others and just having fun. You and Mark would fit in perfectly!

Warren

P.S. Look for the "Camper's Corner" posting on another section of the web site. I hope you can join in.

And sometimes camping not only builds new friendships but reconnects old friends as well. Phil and I had a grand time sharing a MITA Island with a couple from New Hampshire. We bonded over good conversation, chocolate and peppermint hot chocolate with Bailey's. They reciprocated by leaving us butter rum back at the local shop on a different island from whence they'd ventured. We became Facebook friends upon our return. Several months later, our new friend messaged me to see if perhaps our friend Kate on FB used to go by the name of Cathy and was she from the South? Turns out our friend knew Kate from a former lifetime where they had done whitewater together. Small world...

The operators tell me late evening is their busiest time for incoming questions. Last night was no exception. Hey Spider and Lorrie, your postings were a BIG hit!

1. Seems we sometimes spend too much time focused on the risks and mishaps that can happen to sea kayakers. I want to believe you did not choose this activity to simply dodge hazards. When I read the postings by Spider and Lorrie I understand how sea kayaking can make you happy. Can I hear more stories like that from the others?

So there you go NSPN paddlers, can you give us your stories? Can you do as well as Spider and Lorrie?

Warren

Warren:

Three stories from many. Once Gail and I were camping on an island when a cruising sailboat anchored nearby and the family came ashore, one of the children came and politely asked if we would mind them having a birthday party on the other end of the island (it was a small island). We said no problem, they had their party, the kids brought leftover birthday cake, we thanked them for the cake and congratulated the one having the birthday, and they sailed away. While wandering about in a quiet bay we passed by a grandfather teaching his grandson how to fish for lobsters from a dingy with hand line. A short period of wonderful stories about how it used to be done ensued. One July 4th got to participate in the parade on Isle au Haut which included visiting with Linda Greenlaw who had decorated her pickup to emulate her boat.

Perhaps one way to define adventure is a journey where you never know what new and enriching experiences await. Even when we paddle on calm seas, an adventure awaits. After all, if it was not a richly enjoyable activity; why would a rational person not only do it, but always eagerly await returning?

Ed Lawson

Re this:

<You are correct that there appears to be some interest in kayak camping. I credit that to last season when Gary, Katherine, PeterB, Rob and Cathy all offered kayak camping trips to our NSPN community. In addition we had the educational session on kayak camping presented by Kate and Suz this week!>

Warren, with all due respect, there is nothing new in this -- Suzanne and others (Mike and Kimberly Crouse come to mind) have been offering these workshops for a very long time. Perhaps the feedback and post-workshop conversation have been on the increase; but there honestly have been camping trips among NSPN members for almost as long as I can remember...(newer are the "new to kayaking" workshops) Anyhow, there you are -- I'm not trying to negate what you write: just adding a degree of accuracy! ;^)

A story...

Camping on Muscongus Bay with Suz and others...

Nightfall, others retired, I was eager to witness my first Maine nighttime sky since moving from Maine in 2008/9 (can't remember).

I took seat, actually on my back on the ledges and watched the stars come out to play.

And then there were fireworks, launched near Friendship and clearly visible.

It felt as though God/Supreme Power/Higher Power/ the Universe, had created a "welcome back" show.

...but there honestly have been camping trips among NSPN members for almost as long as I can remember

Surely-but kudos to Warren and Pru for offering "New to Kayak Camping Trips". Haven't seen such offerings in my 7-year membership. I think wannabe campers, especially the more timid ones, are much more likely to partake in such venues than say, annual Jewell trip. Perhaps it fair to say "increased interest" in camping, based on reports of 2/3 trips already sold out!

Can I hear more stories.....?

-A fox trolling the shore at twilight, in front of my campsite at Chesuncook.

-Mr. Moose posing for photo the next day.

-A late-night, stormy, July 4 offer from complete strangers to share their extra berth aboard their moored vessel.

-New friends, all, and for always, I hope, on these numerous outings.

post-101565-0-31821700-1363788460_thumb.

My story comes with a picture! It was last August and PeterB had arranged to take a group of happy campers on a trip to the Jonesport, Maine area and Great Wass. Glenn was particularly good at taking pictures and arranged to take this one of the whole group. I keep this picture on my computer at work and look at it often. Especially during the winter months. It is my hope that on each kayak camping trip we all come away with pictures which we treasure and refer to often.

Warren

Oh, I almost forgot to name the people in the photo for all the gentle readers who have not yet met the Happy Campers! In the foreground we have; me, Katherine and Peter. In the background we have Rob, Judy and Glenn. Now don't we look happy?

Dear Not a Morning Person,

One of the (many) joys of kayak camping is being in wonderful new places that most people (other than fellow kayakers) never get a chance to see. Early morning is one of the most spectacular times on an island. Many of us have had the experience of sitting on a rock by the water not long after the sun has come up. The light is beautiful and the sea often flat calm. You might hear and then see a seal pop his/her head up or a fish flying out of the water and landing back in. It is an unbelievably special experience. So on a purely aesthetic level - forget for the time being the winds and tides and the next destination and need to be back on the water that Warren just addressed - being up early is a GIFT given to you by whoever created the beauty all around. So get a good alarm clock, haul yourself out of your sleeping bag, don't bother to comb your hair, let people know (with a gentle growl or warning glance) that you are NOT a morning person, and find yourself a nice place to sit by yourself to experience this new world. You just might find that you're actually looking forward to being up and about early the next time!

pru

Spoken like a true morning person! I'll try to remember all this the next time I am up at 5 am... :):douglas:

Stories: some of you may have noticed that I tend to be long-winded. Give me a keyboard and a chance to write, and I just find it hard to stop. So it's difficult to come up with individual anecdotes of special times on the water. I guess I'd have to say that every long trip report I've written has been my story of where I find the special joy in camping. Let's just say that sun, clouds, waves, wind, fog, rocks, seaweed, friends, animals, birds, food and a nice glass of wine pretty much sum it up for me.

pru

Here's an unexpected one: Perhaps 6 months after posting the first Newfoundland trip report from 2008, I began receiving emails from people who either lived there, used to live there, or had family there. They wrote to thank me for reminding them of what it was they most loved about their island, and stated their intention to pass on the report to other friends/family. Clearly they did pass it on, as I received in excess of 150 emails from people all over the world, telling me the fond memories evoked by the photos in my report. One fellow said it was his uncle who had offered us a place to leave our car (and his phone number in case we needed help). Another told me about the person whose fishing cottage we stayed in for a night, and sent a news clip about an arson to that person's lobster pots. Yet another told me about ghost stories associated with one of the harbors we stayed in. Every email was a story of pride, nostalgia, gratitude.

A few years later, a young man told me that he kept the trip report bookmark on his desktop as incentive for his intention to move back to Newfoundland. He said he'd been in an accident and had nearly died, and he promised himself that if he came through it, he and his wife would go back and buy a piece of land there and move back. I was very happy to meet with him and his wife last summer - just a few months in their new home - when I returned to Newfoundland, and I now count them as my friends.

This is a reminder that we can't know how far the ripples of our actions will carry and who they will affect. Our goodwill comes back to us by unexpected routes.

Lovely idea, Warren, to solicit these stories!

k

More tales....

bumping into more people I know at old quarry then I ever did in mass

someone recognizing my truck and leaving a bottle of wine for me (again at old quarry)

Screwing up a camping reservation, calling to check on sites, then getting to one of the harbor islands to find out the ferry had broken down and it was the two of us and a couple of guys in a sailboat on the entire island.

Seeing someone on a guided trip almost walk off a cliff, note to guides the privy does not have to be in that scenic of a location.

I love the sound of lobster boats in the morning... It's how I know where I am in that interlude between asleep and awake...

So positive...thanks for posting...also it means you are not at work and in MAINE! YAHOO ! I love hearing them.

• 1 year later...

NSPN Community,

As I and three other paddling buddies prepare for a three day kayak camping trip this weekend, I am reminded of the great joy of anticipation I feel each time I prepare to camp. I know NSPN has seen a number of new members over the last twelve months and some may seek to camp on MITA islands off the coast of Maine for their first time. For those that are new to our community, as well as those who might consider camping for the first time, some of the ideas expressed in this thread might be helpful. Last year at this time, a number of us were preparing to loosen the rust on our island camping skills and we had great fun contributing to this thread.

It is my great hope to contribute in some way to helping those ocean paddlers who seek to "Get Out and Stay Out" by camping on islands off the coast of Maine. In fact, one of the paddling buddies this weekend will be island kayak camping for his first time. I envision great joy as we see the morning sunrise while holding hot cups of Maxwell House coffee! If you see yourself being in a picture like the one I have painted here, make sure you identify yourself. Perhaps our paths will cross this year.

Warren