Kayak Camping Frequently Asked Questions.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll ad question that might come up,esp in chilly weather...

Can I use a candle lantern for extra heat in the tent ?

there might be a surprising array of answers

Not to be overly negative but if you're camping on Islands in Maine the lobster boats might not give you much chance to sleep in.

I love the sound of lobster boats in the morning... It's how I know where I am in that interlude between asleep and awake...

I suppose the heat is nice, but I have used a candle lantern more for light and to help dry gear. Having used stoves in tents it seems no big deal, but as Michael says you want to be sure the tent has good ventilation.

Ed Lawson

I personally would never use a stove, candle, or any flame within a tent. The risk is just too high for something to go wrong, and I would not want to be inside a tent when it goes up in flames. Even if you were able to survive the initial fire, you would then be dealing with the inhaled fumes and plastic melted into your skin. You would be hard-pressed to survive that scenario in your back yard. I don't think any rescue efforts would be able to save your life if that happened on an island.

What you really need to ask yourself is this: Will the little bit of heat gained from the candle lantern be worth the risk of such catastropic circumstances. I would much rather get up and walk around the campsite about 20 or 30 times to work up my natural heat production.

Like many readers, my initial reaction to the question regarding the use of a candle lantern for heat was the potential personal and group safety issue. But then I realized that I have never used a candle lantern and it would be an assumption on my part that they pose a safety risk. Without more information, I concluded that can not determine if one should or should not use a candle lantern in their tent for heat.

But then I remembered back to some early training I received regarding kayak camping and MITA islands. As we know, most MITA islands are privately owned and the owners have graciously offered to share these fragile islands with us as long as we are careful. Many of these islands do not allow campfires and I believe there is an expectation that whenever we use a device with a flame, we do so out on the rock ledges or below the high water mark on the beach.

So if a paddlers has pitched their tent out on the rock ledges, perhaps a candle lantern for heat is OK? Maybe! I believe, however, that kayak camping in cold weather is all about staying warm. To stay warm we frequently pitch our tents in protected sites that usually are not out on rock ledges.

I know each paddler may want to maintain their own degree of individuality, but it is my hope we all want to protect these wonderful islands.

Warren

I used to have a candle lantern in my backpacking days - I don't remember it throwing off enough heat to be significant, and in fact the light it gave was so dim that I felt it didn't earn its place in my pack. I don't think it poses a particular fire hazard, not like cooking in a tent (which I don't do). I just don't think it's worth bringing. Bring those hand/foot heat packs instead. Much warmer and take less room.

k

My candle lantern sits on the bottom shelf of my gear locker, right next to other items I'd pack for a car-camping scenario, where its employment lends a nice ambiance. Sure the School Bus can haul a classroom of students AND teacher, but it really is about trying to minimize gear for me when I am on safari. I'm guessing the combined weight of wool socks, fleece hat and gloves doesn't differ by more than a few oz. from my candle lantern, and among my collection of torches is a one inch LED "nano" light that throws off an incredible beam.

Having said that I recall a recent fall (car-camping) trip huddled around the glowing warmth of a canister-style mini-lantern, as the wind and soaking rain tried to get the best of me!

Bottom line for me: (paraffin)candle lantern=ambiance, but not heat or enuf light

Another question for our reading pleasure!

1. I frequently see fog off the coast of Maine. Tell me you don’t paddle in fog! How dangerous!

Fog, one of Mother Nature’s most beautiful gifts and yes, many of us do paddle in fog. I will admit, I love fog, but I also understand the risks it may pose to the untrained paddler. Fog can be present in many sections of the coast of Maine at certain times each year and will vary in intensity. It also seems to be present more frequently in some areas such as Jonesport, Maine.

For the paddler who has a strong reluctance to paddle in fog, you might consider developing what I call a solid foundation of three skills. Good observation skills, sound decision making and solid teamwork. You could then layer on skills in the area of equipment and processes to avoid two major concerns to the paddler while in fog. The concerns are an inability to arrive at the desired destination and/or a collision. I believe this is one area of sea kayaking where you would benefit from professional training and good mentoring.

Many of us use anywhere from 6 to 8 or more specific equipment/actions designed to achieve group safety based in the intensity of the fog or if we are attempting a major crossing. It does require practice and since fog can arrive at any time, we always carry the equipment we need to keep moving on the water to safety or to our destination.

One of my most memorable moments while paddling was during fog on the Sheepscot River. In the distance through the fog we could see a large schooner under sail which looked very much like a ghost ship. I will forever remember that image.

Warren

There are two candle lanterns in my gear closet but they no longer come on trips with me. That said, if you are staying up late nights and like the ambiance of a fire but are on a no fire island, it is sometimes nice to have a candle lantern.

These days I much prefer the black diamond lanterns. http://www.rei.com/product/807910/black-diamond-orbit-lantern

I don't camp in the winter but perhaps then they would throw enough heat to help to dry out a tent. I wouldn't think it significant for summer.

I also have not used a candle lantern in many years. Back in the old days they were the only type of lantern built for backpacking. Personally I see no reason to even have a lantern except in the winter. As for cooking in a tent, if you are winder camping in the wrong place at the wrong time you will cook in your tent because there are no options. You do it very carefully to say the least. I agree it is not for the faint of heart or those who want a high level safety. If you are going in harm's way where cooking in a tent is needed, safety is a relative term. Something akin to the debate as to whether it is safer to rope up so you won't die from a fall but you are exposed longer to objective risks or climb without a rope so you are faster to minimize objective risks, but you die if you fall.

Fortunately sea kayaking is an extremely safe activity and you seldom, if ever, have to make such decisions.

In routine settings, cooking in a tent is not something anyone should do. Certainly agree with that.

Ed Lawson

Who is now a timid woodland creature

This thread contains some lovely amusing references, taken out of context:

<Now that we have most of...the (H)azard issues addressed...> And I always found him to be so mild, accomodating and untroublesome!

<You must have a great pair of earplugs if they block out lobster boats> -- and very BIG ones!

<I love the sound of lobster boats in the morning...> And the smell of napalm, too, dear Katherine? (I believe there is a difference of opinion here between what is meant by "morning" and "middle of the night"!) ;^)

Thanks for the fun read!

(Suzanne: what are you doing posting here? I thought you were meant to be away skiing? See you when you are back for that supper!)

The questions keep arriving…………… Boy, this is fun!

1. How do you find the island camp sites off the coast of Maine? Can I camp on any of the islands as long as I am not in some ones front yard?

When I plan a kayak camping trip, I use both a good nautical chart as well as a current Maine Island Trail Guide. I obtain the guide by becoming a member of the Maine Island Trail Association (MITA). You can become a member via their web site www.mita.org.

It is important to always use a current guide, since the information regarding any restrictions on the islands can change. Frequently these restrictions may pertain to a new wildlife restriction, such as a new eagle pair that has taken up residence on the island. As a community of paddlers, we need to be respectful of these restrictions. You obtain a current guide each year by renewing your membership. Have you renewed yours for 2013?

In addition to the MITA membership, I also belong to Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT). You can become a member via their web site www.mcht.org. MCHT has some islands which are available to kayak camping, but not as many as MITA.

It is important to remember, the areas where we can camp off the coast of Maine are restricted to approved sites on MITA, MCHT or other designated islands. We are not allowed to camp on any island we see. Not without approval from the owners.

I hope this helps.

Warren

I will say flat out that camping in areas where you are not allowed, someone's front yard or private islands are what gives kayakers a really bad name.

Loads of books available that tell you what places you can camp are available. They are the guide books for a particular area. Dorcas Miller's book comes to mind. In addition, we are very lucky to have the Maine Island Trail (MITA) http://www.mita.org/ available, it would be silly not to pay the membership fee and follow the guidelines.

If in an emergency, meaning, you can't make it to an island where it is allowed, then arrive at sundown. Set up quickly and quietly, hide the kayaks and then leave ASAP in the morning at sunrise.

(not leaving for skiing until tomorrow early - today is packing day!)

"I will say flat out that camping in areas where you are not allowed, someone's front yard or private islands are what gives kayakers a really bad name."

May I have an AMEN to this?

This is a huge issue because people who ignorantly use private land along the coast can and have caused a great deal of grief. Not the least of which is they make the job of MITA much harder, and they cause further destruction of community patterns that have served those who live along the coast well for many years. The Moody Beach Case was bad enough. Don't make it worse.

This cannot be said too strongly. You will often see people camped or having a picnic on islands all along the coast. Never, ever, under any circumstances assume that means the general public let alone those "from away" can do the same. They may be there due to years of informal understandings and mutual respect or perhaps grudging tolerance by the new "from away" owners which can be destroyed and their access cutoff due to the acts of others.

Ed Lawson

Ed,

I do agree that our individual actions can reflect on our kayak community as a whole. But, I also believe most paddlers want to do the right thing given half a chance and the knowledge they need. I think at times, paddlers can struggle to know what they need to do. In a way we have a very powerful tool with the NSPN web site to educate and help those who are new to sea kayaking and kayak camping. Last night, was an eye opener to see 55 attendees at the educational session taught by Kate and Suz. I could feel the strong desire within the group to do the right thing and enjoy the wonderful island treasures we all share. Perhaps, like Kate and Suz, it is our duty to help educate them.

Warren

Suz mentions in an earlier comment, how she uses a guide book written by Dorcas S. Miller. I agree it is an excellent book and is my favorite guide book for paddling along the coast of Maine. The title of his book is "Kayaking the Maine Coast - A Paddler's Guide to Day Trips from Kittery to Cobscook".

In addition to the Dorcas Miller book, you might consider the following;

AMC - "Sea Kayaking Along the New England Coast" by Tamsin Venn

"Guide to Sea Kayaking in Maine" by Shelley Johnson and Vaughan Smith

I believe you can locate all three of these books on web sites such as Amazon.com

Enjoy!

Warren

Warren:

"Perhaps, like Kate and Suz, it is our duty to help educate them."

I'm not sure I would use the word "duty", but I agree. I was attempting to be educational in my curmudgeon way. I should have also said that the same applies to launch locations and shoreline areas and not just islands.

Perhaps some words of wisdom about paddling near working craft and active race courses would be good since kayakers can to irk folks by being careless or clueless in those situations.

Ed Lawson

EEL .... guess I missed the question part, I just got the rant part.

on a lighter note one of the of the most freguently asked question was

.......What scat is that ?... "

...kind of lets you know if a flock of geese are expected back for the eve...

or

why do those cliffs look white washed ?

or

is that bird really trying to poop on me ?

...I'm on the lighter side today esp after such a nice uplifting presentation by Suz and Kate the other night

At risk of being counterrevolutionary in the middle of the camping discussion, one of the books I refer to is "Hot Showers: Maine Coast Lodgings for Kayakers and Sailors" which includes campgrounds and launch sites. By Lee Bumsted.

And yes, spider, that bird IS trying to poop on you. Blasted gulls.

The meds have kicked in, and I'm relatively calm now.

I did not mean to rant, just spoke strongly about something I feel strongly about. Some nice places are now off limits due to poor behavior. If you want a real rant, ask about the huge pile of full WAG bags left on Wheat Island of all places a couple of years ago.

Second Kate's suggestion about "Hot Showers: Maine Coast Lodgings for Kayakers and Sailors" which includes campgrounds and launch sites. By Lee Bumsted."

I would like to add that I believe one of Lee's goals in publishing that book was to encourage kayakers to stay onshore at lodgings and do daytrips in order to reduce the camping "load" on many islands which has resulted in campsites which are overused and where destruction has occurred. Of course many sites see very few users and they are a joy to find.

Another goal, perhaps, was to get people thinking about spending time and spending money at local businesses such as restaurants, etc. Kayakers have a reputation of not spending money at local businesses which does not help their standing among locals. May I suggest that when you paddle on the coast of Maine you are not paddling in a wilderness, you are paddling through communities with roots back over 400 years in some cases. For example, without the established fishing community on Damariscove the Pilgrims would have starved to death. Take the time to get to appreciate them just as you take the time to appreciate nature. Enjoying a nice meal ashore, participating in a local event, or buying some gifts made by local artisans enhances the trip and helps those communities.

Ed Lawson

I'd really like to try kayak camping, but I'm a bit intimidated by the price and myriad choices of camping gear. I have a sleeping bag, but don't want to spend a lot on camping gear, only to find out I don't like the experience. Would Miss Manners approve this gentle reader's request to borrow the required gear for my first trip?

Ed, yes there are many great communities along the coast of Maine and many could benefit from sea kayakers who wish to contribute to the local communities. Two that come to mind are Frenchboro on Long Island Maine and the thriving community at the northern end of Burnt Coat Harbor on Swans Island Maine, but there are many more. If you paddle in those waters, bring a good pair of land based shoes as well as some money and enjoy these communities.

Gary, at the educational session this week Suz provided two word documents to those of us who gave her our e-mail addresses. One was entitled "Group Gear List" and the other was entitled "Personal Gear List". The idea is a trip leader could provide the lists to a group of new to kayak camping paddlers and we could gain an understanding of who has what gear. From that knowledge, we could help each other. It is true some camping gear is expensive and many of us regret some of our purchases. It is far better to try out some gear before you purchase.

Excellent comment and question gentlemen! Miss Manners is pleased!

Warren

I wouldn't want to feel guilted to spend money every time I paddle. I'm sure we wouldn't want to appear to be all negative and money oriented to paddle these waters.

What ever happened to friendly New England, with friendly people who enjoy the outdoors. with other friendly folks?

I always have positive experiences with the people I meet when paddling.

I like the idea some floated for a thread about the nice things we like about camping or the pleasant people we meet. I'm hoping we are encouraging people to paddle and ask questions

...on a lighter note ..glad whales don't do the same as the gulls...

..Is it a total embarrassment to run out of water and get stuck in the mud flats...? might be one question

one answer might be..." no not at all if you wish to meet the clammers they do it all the time", perhaps shoot the breeze with them when they are done their work they have a perspecive few of us have and have been known to smile from time to time as well.