Kayak Camping Frequently Asked Questions.

With the arrival of another kayaking season, I thought there would be a benefit to some members of NSPN if I initiated a dialogue on kayak camping.

Please note there is a most outstanding educational session scheduled for Thursday, March 14 at REI in Reading, MA. (Please see the NSPN calendar for details.) This session will be presented by our esteemed colleagues, Kate, Suz and Peter and should be a real crowd pleaser!

I will direct this dialogue primarily to those who are brand new or novice sea kayak campers. Perhaps you have read one of the great trip reports authored by Pru or Kate and thought to yourself, someday that will be me! You may have many questions and did not know how to seek help in addressing any perceived barriers you may have to camping.

Let me begin by saying I have only been camping for 1.5 years and I still have a lot to learn, but I do know that many paddlers could do this as well if not better than me. Please remember these are my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect the best practices. Also, I prefer to camp along the coast of Maine and I do try to focus on five areas during all trips. Those areas of focus are; safety, safety, safety, comfort and fun in that order.

Here is where my dialogue will focus on some frequently asked questions that I have received pertaining to sea kayak camping.

1. I hear you can go 4 to 10 miles off shore to your camp sites, isn’t that dangerous? We all know the Isle of Shoals is approximately 6 miles off shore and that trip can be very dangerous.

It is true a trip to the Isle of Shoals can be dangerous since there are no emergency take outs along the way and most of us do not have the strength and endurance to tow a colleague for several miles. The camping trips I plan or participate in have numerous emergency take outs along the way. For example, one of my favorite trips is to launch from South Freeport, Maine and paddle approximately 6 miles to Whaleboat Island. That trip is actually a series of hip hops from one island to the next. Each hip hop is approximately 1 mile in length and covers 5 different islands. Since the distance within each segment is at or below one mile, towing an injured colleague is not an issue.

1. Don’t you need a lot of camping equipment and isn’t it difficult to fit it all in the kayak hatches?

I know everyone is different regarding what they need to be comfortable while camping. I also know “less is better” for many of us. When a small group of paddlers go camping, we typically share some equipment such as a stove to heat food/water, a tarp for an all weather kitchen, etc. Some of us also have extra gear that we can lend to one another so they can test out a piece of equipment before deciding if they want to purchase their own. I have four different sleeping bags and three different sleeping mats and gladly lend my extra equipment. Learning how to pack the hatches is not a difficult task and we all have learned from each other regarding how to distribute the weight evenly from front to back and side to side. We also learn how not the place metal objects under the deck compass.

1. Don’t you need really strong skills in the areas of navigation and weather knowledge?

It does help to have knowledge on how to read a nautical chart, a compass or nav aid and to set headings. Some paddlers, who have focused more on day trips along coast routes, may find off shore camping to be a challenge at first, but with a desire to learn you will find we share our skills. Weather knowledge and forecasting can be a challenge but we manage that by keeping our trips to one or two nights especially during times when we have rapidly moving weather fronts. We also have tools at our finger tips which provide the knowledge we seek to stay safe. Mother Nature will at times challenge us, but with solid team work and flexibility we will work to stay one step ahead.

1. Will I need really strong paddling skills?

The trips I tend to plan are not high mileage (I define high mileage as 10+ miles per day) trips. I also work to find the lee side of an island during strong winds. I also strive to minimize paddling in conditions or rough water. There are many great places to see and camp which do not require you to feel comfortable in conditions or paddle long distances. It is, however, helpful for each camper to understand their own skills and to share any special concerns with the trip leader. For example, a camper may have a special concern regarding paddling in following seas, thick fog, high winds or fast moving water. Once again, many trips can be planned to minimize these situations, but we must always remember that Mother Nature can change our playground and we need to work as a team to maintain group safety.

So there you go! Hopefully these four questions/answers will be just the beginning. Please feel free to post more questions here or PM me and I will do my best to answer each. Even better, some of our more experienced campers may jump in and help us!

Warren

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night I received, via PM, two questions from our NSPN community of paddlers which I thought might have value to others. Please remember I view all questions as good questions and I will always respect a paddlers’ desire for privacy in submitting a question. So here goes….

1. Do the islands on which you camp have out houses? If not, what do you do?

Most of the islands available to us off the coast of Maine do not have out houses. There are, however, a number of fine islands, such as Jewell and Beal (fee to camp) which do have out houses. On the islands which do not have out houses, we practice “leave no trace” as outlined by the MITA organization. To do that we all carry a poop kit which we utilize for the proper disposal of our poop. We can certainly share our knowledge of what the kit can contain with others. Although the process is not the highlight of a camping trip, you do gain a sense that you are helping to save a very precious ecosystem that we all share.

1. Do you see any seals on your trips?

Actually, there are two large seal colonies in the middle section of Casco Bay. It is important to view these colonies from a respectful distance. The adults are very cautious of paddlers and they will leave their rock colonies to seek protection in the water if you get too close. This is particularly problematic during the times when they are giving birth. The best option is to bring along a good waterproof pair of binoculars and stay far enough away that they do not feel threatened. As the summer progresses the seal pups grow and become very curious of paddlers. At that time, it is a joy to see them come close to the kayaks and pop their heads up to look at us.

Warren

1. Do the islands on which you camp have out houses? If not, what do you do?

Most of the islands available to us off the coast of Maine do not have out houses. There are, however, a number of fine islands, such as Jewell and Beal (fee to camp) which do have out houses. On the islands which do not have out houses, we practice “leave no trace” as outlined by the MITA organization. These islands are fragile ecosystems which we all respect and want to share with others. To do that we all carry a poop kit which we utilize for the proper disposal of our poop. We can certainly share our knowledge of what the kit can contain with others. Although the process is not the highlight of a camping trip, you do gain a sense that you are helping to save a very precious ecosystem that we all share.

Come to the kayak camping workshop this week to see an interesting alternative to an outhouse or having to squat behind a rock over a piece of newsprint . . .

Come to the kayak camping workshop this week to see an interesting alternative to an outhouse or having to squat behind a rock over a piece of newsprint . . .
It's a very poopular NSPN event. Yahoo!

I'm going a bit stir crazy.

Questions continue to arrive! But do not worry I have operators standing by to handle all incoming questions.

1. Will I need a dry suit to go camping in April and May?

If your goal is to camp on an island along the coast of Maine the answer is yes. Even though the air temperature can reach 70 degrees during those months, the water temperature will remain too cold for safe immersion. It might also be helpful to talk about the W.I.P. concept for early spring paddling. W.I.P stands for Wicking, Insulating and Protective layers. Clearly the dry suit is your protective layer, but you will need more. Always remember never use any cotton clothing. The wicking layer need to be next to your skin and should be a good quality base layer. The insulating layer or layers is frequently a personal choice regarding both material and the number of layers that will keep you comfortable. I tend to like wool due to its tendency to retard body odor. Regarding the number of insulating layers, it is helpful to think in terms of tops and bottoms and to be able to adjust the top layers during stretch breaks along the journey.

2. How much water will I need to bring on a camping trip?

The amount of water you will need is dependant on several factors. How long is the trip? Which month of the year? What are your dietary and cooking needs? But for our discussion let’s say you plan to camp for two days and one night in late May. You like hot tea before bed time, hot coffee in the morning, hot soup in a pouch you plan to heat in boiling water as well as a pasta dish with all the fixings for your evening meal. (Sounds like a Suz trip to me!) I would pack an MRS dromedary 4 liter bag with the MRS spigot bag cap, or equivalent, in my day hatch. I suspect you will have more than enough water for the trip. Remember, you will also pack the water you need for the first morning of paddling as well as any food or drink needing water for your first day lunch time meal. If you feel a need to conserve water, you can always heat the pouch of soup in sea water, but not the pasta. Remember to allocate some water to washing your face and hands and brushing your teeth and you will be a happy camper!

As you begin your journey into the world of kayak camping, remember you will make mistakes and that is OK. With practice you may begin to feel a rhythm with your environment. Your trips experience no drama, no discomfort, simply a feeling that you are in the right place at the right time in your life.

Warren

...let’s say you plan to camp for two days and one night in late May.... I would pack an MRS dromedary 4 liter bag

I hope not to get too involved in only one aspect of the discussion, but just wanted to say that I sometimes use upto 3 liters a day, and ALWAYS over pack incase I use more or spring a leak. I pack a 6 liter bag behind my seat (not a foam seat), and at least one more six liter in one or both hatches. I have dumped many a full dromedary bags, but I have never run out of water.

Gary,

Sounds like you have lived this experience! I realize there are no easy answers to this kind of problem. I suspect we have all tried a different approach, such as squeezing into a less than ideal piece of real estate. From our lessons learned I suspect we craft a few guidelines to minimize a repeat event.

Some of the ideas I have discovered, are as follows:

I do try to find my camp site by 2:00PM so I have time to implement, before dusk, "Plan B" if my primary site is occupied. Some islands allow you to make a reservation in advance. Also, in some cases the group will occupy two different islands that are close to one another as a solution.

I will admit in some sections of the Maine coast you just cannot find a good "Plan B" alternative and you hope the island is big enough for all members of the group.

As an aside, that is when you see the advantages of free standing tents that may have to be pitched out on rock ledges.

Thank you for the question!

Warren

You've paddled far to this remote campsite at dusk, only to find it occupied. Now what?

I think that is where the phrase "Stealth Camping" may have come from.... not that ANYONE from NSPN would EVER do that!

Gary,

Excellent Questions! I can only draw upon my own experiences, but hopefully others will jump in. So here goes.

1. Plants – Some of the island, not all, have poison ivy and Rosa Rugosa. Both can be hazards. Also, the slippery algae on the rocks can cause falls.

2. Animals – Some islands have raccoons and voles which can be annoying at best.

3. Insects – The big one for me has been the presence of a large number of mosquitoes on some, not all, of the islands.

Now what do we do about all these potential hazards? First and foremost would be to carry a first aid kit and know how to use it. Remember the kit should be customized to your specific needs and be readily available to you in your day hatch. To gain a good foundation in how to handle a variety of first aid issues while kayak camping, you could consider taking a course on Wilderness First Aid for paddlers. It might be referred to as WFA – H2O and is well worth the time and effort.

In addition, you should consider a mosquito head net or jacket for protection. For the raccoons, be careful where you store your food. I typically store all food in my hatches overnight and do not have any food particles in or around my tent. For the voles, Suz would tell you that red pepper is a deterrent.

One other important consideration is your choice of foot gear for both in the cockpit and while at the camp site. You can suffer from puncture wounds and sprains with the wrong foot gear. For me, this is an important safety issue!

On the topic of eating shellfish that has been harvested during the trip, I have no experience in the area to draw upon in answering this question. I will say that I am very conservative about what I eat during a trip. I tend to prepare and sample each new dish at home before I incorporate it into my trip meal plan that way I try to minimize any potential gastric discomforts during the trip.

Hope this helps.

Warren

What are some of the naturally-occuring dangers to be aware of when camping (animals, insects, plants)?

Is it okay to eat shellfish that I harvest near my campsite?

I've not had experience with this, but have heard that browntail moth caterpillar hairs can be a problem and cause a rash similar to poison ivy, and in some very sensitive individuals, respiratory distress due to inhaling the small hairs. June and July are the heaviest months of infestation.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/mfs/browntailmoth_new.htm

The islands have plenty of poison ivy, poison sumac and poison oak…all of which can cause uncomfortable rashes. DON’T burn it in your below high tide fires. The smoke can cause respiratory problems.

Mosquitos and black flies can be an annoyance. Depending on how bad, you pick a site accordingly and hope it’s windy enough to keep them off of you. Also, I might not camp directly adjacent to any standing water.

More seriously, the islands also have brown tail moths – again with the rash and respiratory reaction for some.

Besides these challenges, some of the islands in Casco and elsewhere have abandoned fortifications from various wars – they’re dark and falling into serious disrepair. Be careful! The mortar is crumbling and wood is decaying in these structures and in the dark, you’re liable to have a hard time telling what can take your weight and what can’t – use appropriate caution; I personally would not want to be inside one of these dank places alone with a broken ankle.

Besides these excitements, the biggest challenge we face camping is campfires. They’re the #1 cause of camping injury….too close to tents, in high traffic areas, etc. Fires are dangerous. Besides which, the islands are fragile – there isn’t a lot of topsoil on these rocky islands and since there is so little arable real estate, the roots and tree structure are shallow and intertwined in that thin layer. Even if you “control” the fire in your site, you can’t tell if that’s damaging the fragile systems below it. If you MUST have a fire, ONLY have it in pre-existing fire rings or BELOW the high tide line. Set it APART from where you’re sleeping and high traffic areas. If you’re using it as a cook fire, LIMIT the folks over by it…too many cooks ruin the soup….and can fall into the fire!

As for shellfish, if there is no shellfish warning issued, I seem to recall you can harvest 2 bushels/per person? Something like that…more than you’re going to eat! On the other hand, I might harvest them away from where I am camping because maybe not everyone will be as diligent in their leave no trace ethic as you will be and who knows where THEIR waste ended up? I might harvest a bit away from whatever looks established landing site I may have used. In any event, if you start getting tingling in the tongue, arms or legs, nausea, headache, diarrhea…if any of that festival of symptoms comes knockin’ after you’ve eaten your harvested shellfish you’re going to want to get immediate evac – you’ve got shellfish poisoning or are having an allergic reaction and need to get to a hospital…in the meantime, induce vomiting (you may not need to induce it...you're body may be taking care of that already. Also, not a bad idea to keep any of the cooked shellfish for the docs and once the emergency has been resolved and it’s been determined if it was an allergy or shellfish poisoning, notify maine dept of resources if the latter. That way, if the bed wasn’t previously closed, it will be.

Last night another question was fielded by my bank of operators. I love this one!

1. I am not a morning person and rarely awaken prior to 8:00AM and could never be ready to launch before 10:00AM. During a multi-day kayak camping trip, will the trip leader understand my needs?

NSPN has many great trip leaders, each with years of experience camping on islands along the coast of Maine. Although I have not yet had an opportunity to camp with each, I would guess they all share the common goal of emphasizing group safety above individual preference. There are many times when the decision to launch is based on important group safety issues. For example,

1. Some sections of the coast have current flows which need to be considered to aid the journey. Timing in these situations is critical. The Jonesport waters and Goose Rock Passage both come to mind as needing careful consideration.
  2. The group may need to launch early in order to arrive at their destination so they can set up camp, or find an alternative to their primary site, prior to dusk.
  3. During the summer months, the wind has a tendency to increase speed as the afternoon arrives. The increased wind speed can create, at times, bumpy water that may present a hazard to the group. Some groups like to paddle between the hours of 6:00AM and 2:00PM as their method for improving group safety particularly if thunder and lightening storms are predicted for the late afternoon.
  4. But perhaps the most important reason I have discovered for keeping a flexible float plan is the unpredictable aspects of Mother Nature. At times, fast moving weather fronts may require that a group vacate a camp site quickly. When that decision is made, you can bet the trip leader is thinking about group safety first and foremost.

Warren

What are some of the naturally-occuring dangers to be aware of when camping (animals, insects, plants)?

Don't forget ticks! Developed classsic Lyme rash following one of the annual trips to Jewell.

Is it okay to eat shellfish that I harvest near my campsite?

Call the red tide hotline 800.232.4733

Dear Not a Morning Person,

One of the (many) joys of kayak camping is being in wonderful new places that most people (other than fellow kayakers) never get a chance to see. Early morning is one of the most spectacular times on an island. Many of us have had the experience of sitting on a rock by the water not long after the sun has come up. The light is beautiful and the sea often flat calm. You might hear and then see a seal pop his/her head up or a fish flying out of the water and landing back in. It is an unbelievably special experience. So on a purely aesthetic level - forget for the time being the winds and tides and the next destination and need to be back on the water that Warren just addressed - being up early is a GIFT given to you by whoever created the beauty all around. So get a good alarm clock, haul yourself out of your sleeping bag, don't bother to comb your hair, let people know (with a gentle growl or warning glance) that you are NOT a morning person, and find yourself a nice place to sit by yourself to experience this new world. You just might find that you're actually looking forward to being up and about early the next time!

pru

Dear Not a Morning Person,

One of the (many) joys of kayak camping is being in wonderful new places that most people (other than fellow kayakers) never get a chance to see. Early morning is one of the most spectacular times on an island. Many of us have had the experience of sitting on a rock by the water not long after the sun has come up. The light is beautiful and the sea often flat calm. You might hear and then see a seal pop his/her head up or a fish flying out of the water and landing back in. It is an unbelievably special experience. So on a purely aesthetic level - forget for the time being the winds and tides and the next destination and need to be back on the water that Warren just addressed - being up early is a GIFT given to you by whoever created the beauty all around. So get a good alarm clock, haul yourself out of your sleeping bag, don't bother to comb your hair, let people know (with a gentle growl or warning glance) that you are NOT a morning person, and find yourself a nice place to sit by yourself to experience this new world. You just might find that you're actually looking forward to being up and about early the next time!

pru

Thank you Pru - I was thinking we should start a separate thread about the joys of kayak camping, as this one seems to have unintentionally highlight some of the difficulties. But that could be just my perception, as I'm still trying to decide if I even like camping :-) The areas we camp certainly are beautiful!

Cathy,

You love camping, I know you do! Especially now that Rob has taught us to use rocks to keep newsprint from flying away during gale force winds.

Your comment shows how valuable it is to have a variety of perspectives on each and every camping trip. Seems to me, I focus on the logistics and risk issues of a trip more than viewing the surroundings and the beauty in the moment. Thank you for reminding me of that important aspect of the trip!

Hey Pru, I think Cathy is going to help you to refocus me!

Warren

Now that we have most of the logistics and hazard issues addressed, the next gentle reader is seeking enlightenment from our NSPN community on the really good stuff.

1. Why does anyone bother to kayak camp, anyway? Isn’t it a lot of work? Why not just stay home and watch TV every weekend?

Wow! It does make you stop and think for a moment. I suppose it is a lot a work, but it does not seem that way to me. I guess for me it is the reason I do all the other aspects of my life, the long commute to work, the chores around the house, etc. I guess kayak camping makes me happy, besides I hate TV. But, I also like the friends you make when you camp. Maybe we are all a little crazy.

Perhaps my answer it a little short, I do hope others will jump in with their answers.

Warren

Yes, don't want to accent the negs, but no surprise from me that it's all about ticks...

I like to head north 'above the tick line" (which also keeps expanding northward).

Still the population densities are less in some locations and seasons.

I would say try to keep the bushwhacking to an absolute minimum even for calls of nature..hide behind some rocks for example rather than slog through brush or overgrown trails to secluded areas.

....so maybe visions of running naked through flowering meadows might need a little tweaking...;-)

Last night another question was fielded by my bank of operators. I love this one!

1. I am not a morning person and rarely awaken prior to 8:00AM and could never be ready to launch before 10:00AM. During a multi-day kayak camping trip, will the trip leader understand my needs?

I would like to offer another option to those suggestions already posted. Just as "you" might not be an early riser, those who are are also early sleepers, and often do not stay up late to chat and look at the stars. Maybe you can find other late sleepers that will enjoy a camping trip where the ghost stories go late into the night, and everyone takes there time getting going in the morning.

Not to be overly negative but if you're camping on Islands in Maine the lobster boats might not give you much chance to sleep in.

Doesn't everybody travel with ear plugs. (I do in case someone in a near by ten snores). Depending on the tree cover I find the AM sun bakes my tent enough that sleeping in isn't an option.