Camping Workshop

rossjb1

Come learn the basics of kayak camping with our own Michael Crouse. He'll talk about packing the boat, what gear to bring, tips and tricks, and we'll do some cooking. Gould Barn Saturday April 24th starting @ 10:00.

Check out Michaels description below Thanks Michael ;)

I like to think of this as a "learn & share" workshop.

We'll talk about what we've found that has worked for us and what hasn't worked. Of course this means talk about gear, tents, sleeping bags, stoves, etc.....

We'll also be doing some cooking and talking about meals and meal planning.

Places to camp will certainly be talked about, where to go for your first overnight and where to take that week long trip.

Please post a message here if you're going to attend and feel free to post any questions you want to talk about at the workshop.

Me too Rob! This is one of my favorite workshops we run! I learn something new each time!

Just in case this will be the first NSPN event you will be attending, here's how to get to the Gould Barn!

Directions:

From the south, take Rt. 1 north exit off of Route I-95. Follow that to Rt. 97 west into Topsfield. At the stop sign, the library will be on your left and a small side street immediately before the stop sign is on your right - that is East Common Street . Take a right onto this street and park in the lot on the right that is for the Emerson Center/Congregational Church.

From the north, take I-95 south to the Topsfield Rt. 97 exit. Proceed to Congregational Church on the right and Town Common on the left. Make a left turn onto Route 97 East, for 1/2 a second and then take a SHARP left onto East Common St and park in the lot on the right that is for the Emerson Center/Congregational Church.

There is some parking on the street or at the far left end of the church lot closest to the Barn.

Come learn the basics of kayak camping with our own Michael Crouse. He'll talk about packing the boat, what gear to bring, tips and tricks, and we'll do some cooking. Gould Barn Saturday April 24th starting @ 10:00.

Check out Michaels description below Thanks Michael ;)

I hope to make it. Thanks!

Barry.,

I would like to try overnights sometime this summer...so I'll be there! Is there anything you would like us to bring? Thanks for this opportunity,

Sue

We'll probably finish up by 2 or 3, so you might want to bring a snack. We will be doing some cooking so we will have some food to share.

You might want to bring a notepad because people usually go away with a list of things to buy and not to buy.

I'll be bringing all the gear for a typical over night, so I'll have a tent, stoves, sleeping pad, clothes, etc... as well as some examples of other gear, like 20 different types of dry bags and multiple stoves. I'll also have a kayak to pack it all into.

If you want to bring something you can, in the past people have brought favorite pieces of camping gear or some gear to ask a question about, like "I bought this stove and I can't start it without making 3 foot high flames and frightening everyone I'm camping with, what am I doing wrong?" and we work on safe stove lighting techniques. Bringing a dry bag or a compression bag and trying to fit some gear into it is a bit easier, but an over primed stove is much more fun to watch.

Please note that all white gas stoves will be used outside of the Gould Barn!

And how about those alcohol stoves???!!!

WOW - when you spill the alcohol and the stove is lit... it gets a little crazy! DOn't forget to STOP!DROP!ROLL!!!

Hmmm. This thread suggests advance notice to the appropriate first responders might be in order. Or perhaps they should be on site with extinguishers at the ready. Lets see. Start off with a mild but hard to see alcohol fire spreading amongst the assembled folk, attract more attention with a pressure relief valve blowing with ensuing ignition, then for a finale overheat a gas canister till it explodes. Nice lead in to suggested first aid supplies and skills. Wish I could be there.

Ed Lawson

We'll probably finish up by 2 or 3, so you might want to bring a snack.

Yikes! I didn't realize it lasted so long - sounds really great, but I'm not going to be able to make it, I have another committment. I'll look for it next year, hope to see people another time! Florrie

Yikes! I didn't realize it lasted so long - sounds really great, but I'm not going to be able to make it, I have another committment. I'll look for it next year, hope to see people another time! Florrie

Yes- me neither... I guess I should change the banner ad... Sorry gang!

:tent7::campfire-2::tent4::camping:

...how I blew up my stove...

Consider leaving the stove at home. While there's no denying the joy of a hot meal, it goes along with the list of drawbacks to cooking while camping of which stove lighting has perhaps the most onerous potential downside. Between cheese, nuts, dried items, and other assorted non-perishables you can do quite well without cooking. With today's filter technology the elimination of the pounds is especially attractive on the trail.

• 2 weeks later...