Cold Water Workshop

Bill Gwynn

Share information on how to dress and prepare for cold water paddling. Paddlers can test gear - gaskets and seals and drysuits, wetsuits and drytops, gloves and hoods, etc. - and see how well they hold up under immersion. Experience immersion in cold water and perform basic skills -- self and assisted rescues, towing, etc. -- while wearing cold water gear.

10AM start time at Liz's NSPN Clubhouse for the dry part of the workshop, then down to Lane's Cove for the wet part. A PPPO will be at Liz's after.

This event is offered at no charge to NSPN paid members.

Please post your interest here so we can get an idea of head count.

Please email: suzanne dot hutchinson at comcast dot net for additional info and directions.

Hi Bill. Do you think the CWW should also be posted on the General board, as it's an important workshop as well a "trip"?

Count me in. Also note that Nov 9 is a SUNDAY.

Thanks again to Liz for the generous offer.

Ern

I'm interested as well. As a public service, perhaps we should call the media. A short piece on the evening news or even a more serious piece on Chronicle might save some lives someday. Even the brief exposure to an activity that must boggle the recreational mind set, may get them thinking about how serious seakayakers are about safety, and maybe they should be as well. Just a thought!

Hi Bill. Do you think the CWW should also be posted on the General board, as it's an important workshop as well a "trip"?

Count me in. Also note that Nov 9 is a SUNDAY.

Thanks again to Liz for the generous offer.

Ern

I'm hoping to be there as well.

I will plan on attending and possibly my wife as well. We paddle through the winter already but it will be a great way to meet some of the NSPN folks, learn from others and paddle after.

Sounds like a great day.

PS: What's a "PPPO" and for that matter a "SNG?" I need a new member handbook it seems. Jon

Welcome Jon,

PPPO stands for Post Paddle Pig Out. In other words a gathering afterwards to eat.

SNG stands for Show N' Go. In other words, an informal (usually) gathering to paddle.

Hope to join the (?) fun.

Directions, please?

Tom

From the link:

http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm

"Lanes Cove on Cape Ann is on the northwest side of the Cape, providing a starting point for exploring the Annisquam or rounding Halibut Point to get to Rockport and the Dry Salvages. Take Route 128 to the rotary at exit 11, from the rotary head up Route 127 (turn left at the circle), past Annisquam, the UMASS Marine Station and continue. 4.5 miles to Duley Street. Turn left and follow Duley Street 0.1 mile to cove; park anywhere that doesn't block the road. Launch from the head of the cove and then park either in the main lot or back up on the main road - walking distance varies with the tide."

-Jason

From the link:

http://www.nspn.org/put_ins.htm

"Lanes Cove on Cape Ann is on the northwest side of the Cape, providing a starting point for exploring the Annisquam or rounding Halibut Point to get to Rockport and the Dry Salvages. Take Route 128 to the rotary at exit 11, from the rotary head up Route 127 (turn left at the circle), past Annisquam, the UMASS Marine Station and continue. 4.5 miles to Duley Street. Turn left and follow Duley Street 0.1 mile to cove; park anywhere that doesn't block the road. Launch from the head of the cove and then park either in the main lot or back up on the main road - walking distance varies with the tide."

-Jason

Hi all,

As for a starting place, we will be meeting at Liz Neumeier's house which is near Lanes Cove. Don't want to post directions here but will e-mail to anyone who e-mails ME (no PM - email is easier). suzanne dot hutchinson at comcast dot net

I will have plenty of drysuits available for people to use. Be sure to bring fleece or wool undergarments to wear underneath and footwear to wear either over top of the goretex sock to protect it or over your bare feet in the event you end up with a dry suit that doesn't have socks.

The plan will be to meet at Liz's house and talk all things that pertain to cold water paddling. We will then get dressed for the water and head over to Lane's Cove for immersion. Last year we didn't actually paddle anywhere but stayed within Lane's Cove for our practice session which involved a slow immersion to understand personal comfort level and then getting in boats and working with partners to see how it felt doing wet exits, balance bracing or rolls. No one will be forced to get wet and all will be done at your own comfort level. I found that last year I lent my drysuit to someone and used a drysuit w/o socks and so just had my neo shoes on and I got VERY cold, VERY quickly. I was so cold that I wouldn't have been able to paddle after our immersion fun. Your mileage may vary but the plan isn't really to paddle, but to work through our understanding of personal limits and cold water.

As for the PPPO - "post paddle pig out" - this will be a pot luck - bring food/drink/appetizers/bread to share. Couple requests from Liz:

- no leftovers can remain!

- we use her dishes rather than disposables

My request is that we all clean up after and don't leave Liz's kitchen a mess when we leave.

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun from beginner to experienced with cold water. The more experienced people are very helpful to have around when it comes time for one on one immersions. So, please do come this year even if you have attended prior years.

E-mail me with any questions.

Best,

Suz

Hope to join the (?) fun.

Directions, please?

Tom

Tom,

I suspect some combination of Barry, Lori and I will be coming up from West Medford, so we'll work out a carpool arrangement to use only two vehicles total I suspect, so maybe I can pick you up enroute. Let's be in touch Saturday.

Ern

781 483-3922

I would like to come to this event, but would need more on location. Sounds like it would be very informative.

I just bought a Kokotat GRE drysuit with booties and am trying to decide whether to keep it or not. Got it at about $700, but think maybe I'd be fine with dry pants and top for what I do.

Nancy

Share information on how to dress and prepare for cold water paddling. Paddlers can test gear - gaskets and seals and drysuits, wetsuits and drytops, gloves and hoods, etc. - and see how well they hold up under immersion. Experience immersion in cold water and perform basic skills -- self and assisted rescues, towing, etc. -- while wearing cold water gear.

10AM start time at Liz's NSPN Clubhouse for the dry part of the workshop, then down to Lane's Cove for the wet part. A PPPO will be at Liz's after.

This event is offered at no charge to NSPN paid members.

Please post your interest here so we can get an idea of head count.

Please email: suzanne dot hutchinson at comcast dot net for additional info and directions.

I would like to come to this event, but would need more on location. Sounds like it would be very informative.

I just bought a Kokotat GRE drysuit with booties and am trying to decide whether to keep it or not. Got it at about $700, but think maybe I'd be fine with dry pants and top for what I do.

Nancy

Booties are the best! You'll have warm, dry feet even when chunks of ice are floating by. I'd recommend trying a drysuit with booties at the workshop before you send yours back.

Gay

Booties are the best! You'll have warm, dry feet even when chunks of ice are floating by. I'd recommend trying a drysuit with booties at the workshop before you send yours back.

Gay

Good thought Gay - we can talk Nancy. Actually, Nancy should try the ones without so she knows what it feels like to have no booties.

And on to parking - expecting a good turnout. If parking starts to look like a problem, we may need to park some cars down at Lane's Cove. Please be prepared for that and have a small bag of your warm fleece clothes and shoes to put on over the drysuit. We will suit up at Liz's house and then shuttle down to Lane's Cove for the get wet part.

I have forwarded the directions for the event to anyone who has requested. If you are contemplating joining us for this, shoot me an e-mail and I will send the directions out. If you have asked me for directions and I missed sending you, please resend.

Thanks,

Suz

Gay

Yeah, I'm getting that feeling there is a reason they add so much to the price of a suit with booties. I certainly already know what it feels like without, though not in the dead of winter. Thanks for the thoughts.

Hi Suzanne, I just e-mailed you for directions, etc. and then found this. I'd like to attend, sounds like a great opportunity to learn and to meet the membership, as I've just joined. Thanks!

Hi all,

As for a starting place, we will be meeting at Liz Neumeier's house which is near Lanes Cove. Don't want to post directions here but will e-mail to anyone who e-mails ME (no PM - email is easier). suzanne dot hutchinson at comcast dot net

I will have plenty of drysuits available for people to use. Be sure to bring fleece or wool undergarments to wear underneath and footwear to wear either over top of the goretex sock to protect it or over your bare feet in the event you end up with a dry suit that doesn't have socks.

The plan will be to meet at Liz's house and talk all things that pertain to cold water paddling. We will then get dressed for the water and head over to Lane's Cove for immersion. Last year we didn't actually paddle anywhere but stayed within Lane's Cove for our practice session which involved a slow immersion to understand personal comfort level and then getting in boats and working with partners to see how it felt doing wet exits, balance bracing or rolls. No one will be forced to get wet and all will be done at your own comfort level. I found that last year I lent my drysuit to someone and used a drysuit w/o socks and so just had my neo shoes on and I got VERY cold, VERY quickly. I was so cold that I wouldn't have been able to paddle after our immersion fun. Your mileage may vary but the plan isn't really to paddle, but to work through our understanding of personal limits and cold water.

As for the PPPO - "post paddle pig out" - this will be a pot luck - bring food/drink/appetizers/bread to share. Couple requests from Liz:

- no leftovers can remain!

- we use her dishes rather than disposables

My request is that we all clean up after and don't leave Liz's kitchen a mess when we leave.

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun from beginner to experienced with cold water. The more experienced people are very helpful to have around when it comes time for one on one immersions. So, please do come this year even if you have attended prior years.

E-mail me with any questions.

Best,

Suz