Best car for carrying a kayak?

jmcotton

Sigh...I totaled my car yesterday. I'm ok, just bruised and achy. So I'm going to need a new car to carry my kayak!  I've mostly had Hondas and Toyotas and used to prefer small cars before ocean kayaking came into my life! What are people's opinions on best cars to carry kayaks, especially ease of loading by myself with room for kayak camping gear? 

Thanks,

Janice

Sorry to hear about your car Janice. I'm glad you are ok.

One important thing to check out before buying a new car is roof rack options. Some makes and models offer very few options for roof racks so it's a good idea to know in advance what options are available. Any vehicle with a long roof line, that's allows for more bar spread, will be best for carrying a kayak. As for loading, if you are not using a Hullavator, a vehicle that allows you to load from the rear will make it much easier to load by yourself. If you do opt for a small car, hatchbacks usually work well for carrying gear.

Janice,

I hope that you feel better soon. 

As for car everybody has a favorite.  I love my Toyota Tundra long bed double cab, for me it's easy to load and it holds all the boats camping gear I would want,  it wouldn't be correct for everybody.  

-Jason

Glad you are okay! VW golf sportswagen, Subary Outback, or any other vehicle with longer roof that has long (!) integrated rails along the length of the roof. This will allow for spread of the cross bars if needed. Some cars have poorly designed side railings that only run tho-thirds the length of the roof. Avoid those.

Sorry about your accident. Hope something good comes of it.

I think that any car size from small to Jason's Toyota Tundra works well. Don't be deterred from getting a smaller car.

I have a VW Jetta, which is probably in the small to midsize category, with Thule roof rack and...dare I say it on NSPN...bow and stern tie-downs.

I have blasted along Maine highways at 90+ for hours with side-winds on bridges without any issues at all. I also use 2 straps each to tie the kayak to the rack bars, unless I stay local and drive slower, in which case I often do without the bow-stern-tie-downs. 

Glad you're OK.  I wandered by a Subaru wagon the other day that had the flush roof rails (maybe a 2018?).  Being in New England, the awd is a nice benefit and if, note if, Subby has moved past their funky roof rack from the past several years then that might be ideal.   Worth a look anyway.

Phil

ps:  not recommending VW as one of the folks burned by diesel gate.  Doesn't mean it too might not work.

I think my Jetta smartwagon TDi is close to ideal for a kayak trasporter. Dieselgate notwithstanding, it'll carry 3 sea kayaks on the roof, enough gear for a 6 week self-contained 2-person trip, starts fine in -25F and is awesome in snow for a front-wheel drive car.  I also love my 700 miles between fill-ups and long-term avg of 46 mpg.. I've got 215k miles on mine with no hiccups.

FWIW, I just learned (from a dealer) that VW s now reselling all the 2015 buyback cars as certified-used, and they're bringing in the 2017 TDi Sportwagen this summer. I'm trading in mine for a new '17.

Edited by josko

As part of the VW buyback deal for my 2015 TDI Golf Sportwagen, I just picked up my new, 2017 VW Alltrack. We've been very happy with the VW wagon, the diesel scandal notwithstanding. The car has plenty of room for gear, it's a great height for loading boats, and it's not a Subaru.

Josko, what news source, besides the dealership, are you quoting? My impression was that, under the agreement with the government because of the emissions scandal -- and VW/Audi is in BIG TROUBLE in Germany because of it -- all diesel VW's were to be completely scraped, even with "the emissions fix."

Thanks everyone for all the great information. I'll be off car shopping and comparing this weekend. I hadn't thought of the VW because of their issue. I'll have to break down and call my car fanatic brother who had a VW desiel and stuck up his nose when I bought the original Prius, saying his car was better on mileage!  I also got some email recommendations  of the Honda CRV and the Prius, though the new Prius doesn't have the foot for the rack yet (I think).  I have a Thule rack and I know the roof length makes a difference.  Much to think about  

Thanks! 

Janice

VW really doesn't have an issue in their non-diesel vehicles. And regarding the Diesel-issue, I think if all Americans stopped letting their cars idle for 20 minutes to let the AC run in summer/keep the heat on in winter while getting their donuts/coffee/kids from hockey-training for only one day, emissions would be reduced in a way that would make the collective emission excess of the VW diesels before the fix pale in comparison. Just sayin' 

Minuteman VW in Bedford is currently selling 2015 buyback diesels (with the fix installed, of course).  I told them I'd order a '17 as soon as they can get me a production number and expect they'll contact me shortly.  That's the only 'news source' I have on the topic.  Seems a shame to crush vehicles if they're legal to drive in the US, as the updated 2015's are,  VW still doesn't have a fix approved for earlier TDi models.

Back to the original topic - I really do find mine ideal for hauling kayaks and love the diesel's extended range.

Edited by josko

I would love a diesel,  I am still waiting on the 2016 Tundra Diesel.  http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/toyota-tundra-getting-cummins-diesel.html

http://www.motortrend.com/news/build-it-your-way-2014-toyota-tundra-diesel-hybrid-is-f-v-10-or-nascar-v-8-327737/

(It's been the running joke since 2014 that it will be out in a year).   At least they added 12 gallons to the gas tank.

In any case a diesel kayak carrier would be great.   Growing up we had a diesel suburban with a 1200 mile (32mpg x 40 gallons) range back before they started adding emissions control diesel had much better range. 

Janice, so sorry about your accident, and I'm glad you are OK!

About cars... As a short person, I strongly prefer a car with a low roof height; even a few inches makes a big difference for me in loading ease. I don't want to bother w/ complicated contraptions or systems, I just want to be able to shove the boat on and go. Otherwise I agree w/ the above, however I have to say that my city parking friendly Honda Fit Sport is actually working out fine, although I'd prefer a slightly longer bar spread, I haven't had any problems. It has tons of room in the back for gear, and is easy to load and unload. Whatever you get, definitely get a hatchback!

Edited by BethS

I am so sorry about the accident Janice, and glad that you were not badly hurt.  I hope you heal quickly, please take good care of yourself.  You probably know this, but even if your current Thule rack doesn't fit the new car you want, you can re-use the bars and buy new towers.  The Thule website can give you the part number for car year,make and model and which type of cross bar.  EMS (and REI) were having a 20% off deal so I just picked up new towers to fit a pair of old cross bars onto my daughter's Honda CRV.  Her CRV has built in attachment points for the towers for a very secure set-up, however you cannot adjust the distance between the bars.  

Oh no... Glad you are doing OK.  

Personally not a fan of a Subie. Had an Outback and it never felt solid and I felt it sounded very tin can like.  

My requirements are a bit different than yours as I like/need to be able to tow.  Other than the towing, I want to be able to load a boat without going over my head with extended arms.  

After my Subie, I bought a Honda Odyssey.  It worked well but we were trading in cars when Werner's Jeep Diesel became available so I ended up with his 1 year old Toyota Forerunner.  Super nice car but it was just a few inches taller than the Odyssey which made it too difficult to load a boat by myself.  Really - just a few inches taller and it was impossible.  Traded that in for my 2015 Volvo XC70  - I LOVE this car.  It is super easy to load - I'm taller than it is.  I can side load easily.  I do still use a stool to be able to easily tie down.  Mileage is about 24 MPG with the rack on.  I would have bought the VW Diesel Wagon when I bought the Volvo but they do not support towing with them. 

Benefits to a wagon - you can put a camping mat down and sleep in the back WITH all your gear. (Not as spacious as the minivan was... but do-able.)

Suz

Subaru Impreza  or better, Subaru CrossTrack, Low roof line, adequate bar spread. All wheel drive and moderate roominess for gear. I drive a MINI Cooper S and make do. Recently bought a two piece GP, so that should help!

Thanks everyone! Great information!  I still have to check out the Subaru options but I love Hondas and will probably go with the CRV even though it's high and the built in rack doesn't allow for a wide spread. I also looked at smaller cars and I've gotten too spoiled with space in my Highlander! Plus it really has protected my family over the years. 

I'm taking my Thule rack off my Toyota Highlander - thanks for reminding me I can get replacement "feet" to fit my new car.  I hope to have something by this weekend as the car rental guy looked horrified when I casually said I probably shouldn't throw a kayak on top of the rental car! 

Did you know airbag replacements cost $2,000-3,000?! Easy to "total" an old car with that! 

My brother purchased a new Subaru ~ two years ago and he has had nothing but problems.  Mostly the clips in the seat breaking and the motor burning OIL.   

I have always had great luck with Honda's.    

In any case I hope that you end up with a car that makes you happy.

On 4/20/2017 at 7:18 AM, jmcotton said:

Thanks everyone! Great information!  I still have to check out the Subaru options but I love Hondas and will probably go with the CRV even though it's high and the built in rack doesn't allow for a wide spread. I also looked at smaller cars and I've gotten too spoiled with space in my Highlander! Plus it really has protected my family over the years. 

I'm taking my Thule rack off my Toyota Highlander - thanks for reminding me I can get replacement "feet" to fit my new car.  I hope to have something by this weekend as the car rental guy looked horrified when I casually said I probably shouldn't throw a kayak on top of the rental car! 

Did you know airbag replacements cost $2,000-3,000?! Easy to "total" an old car with that! 

Chiming it late, here (Judy Whipple and I were in New Zealand with Scott Camlin and Bethny Uptegrove. Alas, did not paddle.)

Toyota did get me the crossbars for the 2016 Prius I bought in June, finally, in October. They work fine with my Thule aero-type saddles. But, they are fairly close together. So, the re-designed Prius (or Prius wagon which is larger) is also an option for folks. I do not know if Thule ever got their fit kit to market for this car. Liz