Ninth Annual NSPN New to Sea Kayaking Workshop

rylevine

9th Annual NSPN New to Sea Kayaking Workshop
Optional Pool Session

Need advice on getting started? Looking for others to kayak with? Wondering which type of kayak is right for you?

Don't miss our annual New to Sea Kayaking Workshop! Learn what equipment you'll need. Learn about safety. Find out what a beginner's trip is like. Discover places that offer classes and specialized training. Discussions with new and experienced fellow kayakers. Plan future adventures!

Back by popular demand: Camper’s Corner in which experts will discuss gear and techniques for kayak camping.

Where: Portsmouth Seacoast Family YMCA, 550 Peverly Hill Rd, Portsmouth, NH 03801
When: Saturday, April 11, 2015, 2 - 4pm; Pool Session 4:30-7pm
Fee: WORKSHOP is FREE & open to the public. POOL SESSION COST $15 will be applied to a free year membership to NPSN and will be used to help cover the cost of the YMCA rental for this venue.
Register: Bob Levine ntskw@nspn.org
Questions: ntskw@nspn.org

Basic Overview: How to choose equipment: kayaks, paddles, clothing and additional equipment. Overview of skills, training and what to expect. Locating and experiencing initial on-water training. Open discussion and questions welcome. Workshop followed by optional pool session in adjacent YMCA pool. Wet exit, strokes, rescue techniques. Kayaks and gear provided.

• 4 weeks later...

Andy, so sorry to hear about your injury! I hope it heals well and as fast as possible!

I hope you were at least doing something fun like skiing, and didn't just fall on the floor or ice like the rest of us.

Edited by BethS

Andy-I can sympathize-I used to roller skate and almost every other time I went to the rink someone was being wheeled out to a waiting ambulance with what appeared to be a broken wrist. I myself survived with only a few serious sprains and finally learned to fall like a rag doll and never tried to break my fall with an extended arm. Sorry for your injury-hope to see you next season on the water.

• 3 weeks later...

We are up to 27 participants for the workshop with about 10 for the pool. This is an opportunity to invite family, friends, and co-workers (those wondering where you have been disappearing to in the afternoons!) for an introduction to sea kayaking. NSPN volunteers are bringing boats and gear for the pool, but people are welcome to bring there own to practice with. Pool session has a $15 fee towards a free year membership in NSPN.

Bob

Bob, I've lost track of who is doing what! Do you want me to bring my Romany and be prepared to get wet?

pru

Pru,

Yes, please bring the Romany and gear, and it would be great if you could help people in the pool. I'll respond directly to the volunteers on the PM thread.

Bob

I'd like to come by and learn what I can for next year's AMC kayaking school.

Josko, Will be good to see you and catch up. Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank the NSPN volunteers Cathy, Rob, Warren, Rick, Gene, Pru, Janice, Jeff, Phil, Lorrie, and David, who helped with the NTSKW this year. Thanks also to the Portsmouth Seacoast Family YMCA staff led by Kat for their help with logistics for the event.

- Bob