Waterproof Camera Reviews

David M

Looking to purchase a new "waterproof" digital camera in the $300 range. I've spent a number of hours reviewing various online forums and comparisons.

I've now narrowed that list down to three. Would very much appreciate input on the following or personal experience outside of this list.

Olympus TG-2; Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5; Pentax Optio WG-3.

My initial considerations are overall durability in the saltwater environment, ease of use and still picture quality. I currently use a Contour Roam for video.

Thanks in advance for the good conversation.

David

David

For what it's worth.....

I use an Olympus Tough 6020 14 megapixel which is shockproof to 5 ft and waterproof to 16 ft. Takes great pics and video. USB transfer to MAC. I use 16GB card and rechargeable batteries which last at least a 2 night kayak trip if not longer.

Dave

I've used the panasonic TS series. First couple died over a year or two, with I expect salt water corrosion (even with washing in fresh etc). Made a neoprene slip case for the latest and it seems to be holding up better (2 years now I think). If you want batteries to last a while, turn off all the extraneous features like GPS, compass, WiFi.

best

Phil

Bob has had two Panasonic TS series and really likes them, although he's had the same issues Phil has had. This last one seems to be holding up better, though.

From my personal experience with Pentax, I'd stay away, although perhaps the new iterations have improved on the picture quality and the un-user friendly slot for the battery.

My ideal would be the Nikon but it's pricey at $300.

Deb

Can't speak to the new Pentax models, but my 9 year-old Optio W10 has served me well over the years. Have never immersed it in salt water, but habitually dunk it in a glass of fresh water after every ocean trip. Don't think of myself as a photographer, just point and shoot, so can't discriminate between different qualities of digital photos. Feel free to browse my collection here FWIW, all taken with this camera:

https://picasaweb.google.com/104527482892165688266

I like the Panasonic, but managed to kill my first one when I actually believed that it was waterproof and had it underwater for a week in the Virgin Islands. It died shortly after we returned home. Got some really nice turtle, pictures, though, which almost made it worthwhile. I've had the second one for two years with no problems, but keep it mostly above water.

pru post-101481-0-01024500-1392838944_thumb.

I've had several Pentax Optio's of various models, and then several Panasonic Lumix of various models. They all failed within 2 years. For the optio it was the gasket. For the lumix, it was corrosion of the aluminum case (hopeless in salt water). I gave up. Then my husband gave me a new lumix for Xmas so here we go again.

The others have such egregious limitations in terms of quality of either video or photo that I wasn't interested.

I'm still waiting for the industry to give us something with a decent gasket and a decent lens.

kate

I'm still waiting for the industry to give us something with a decent gasket and a decent lens.

kate

Nikon actually has a largish sensor (1") water-resistant camera with interchangeable lenses that allows one to shoot raw & JPG. Be aware that some folks on the web have had issues with water penetration through an overly compressed lens gasket.

best

Phil

At least the camera makers tend to put some language in the owner's manual about the limitations of waterproof ratings. My Pentax has a JS8 rating and they suggest having the camera returned to them yearly to maintain its waterproof rating. They also indicate that you should not jump into the water, swim with nor use the camera where there are swift currents or in waterfalls. That is because most waterproof ratings only apply to the equipment being submerged in still, fresh water and does not imply the equipment will be waterproof in dynamic water environments. Seldom see that info in radio manuals.

Also why some of us would rather not expose our radios on the outside of a PFD where they are more exposed to the conditions similar to those mentioned above.

Ed Lawson

Nikon actually has a largish sensor (1") water-resistant camera with interchangeable lenses that allows one to shoot raw & JPG. Be aware that some folks on the web have had issues with water penetration through an overly compressed lens gasket.

best

Phil

Yes, aware of this one and aware of the gasket issues too. Hopes dashed ...

I have the Olympus 8010 which I've used for a couple of seasons. I rinse with fresh water after each use and no problems yet-I like the auto lens cover that keeps blurring water spots off the lens. Sharpness is a bit soft and some pictures need to be sharpened with software like iphoto or something similar. My experience is that the Lumix has sharper lenses but the Olympus is more robust.

I'm debating getting an Outex cover for an older large sensor camera and using that for better images on the water. For those who haven't heard of them, it's basically a condom for the camera, with glass lens and back ports. Alex Boyd Peskin (Chicago paddler) has gotten some great shots with one.

best

Phil

Like Kate, I've had both the Pentax Optio W10 and the Panasonic/Lumix TS4.

The Pentax took very good pics for a 5Mb camera, clear, vivid and good contrast--despite some limitations like a very slow shutter. Lasted 7 years of regular use on the water and land without protection of any kind, but finally got sort of fried presumably by salt water. A great little camera. Can't speak for the subsequent Optio models.

So got the Lumix TS4 last year and while it has proved reliable to date, the picture quality has been bit disappointing (muddy and poorly exposed). Also, the the Tele/Wide zoom buttons are on the upper right back of the camera, right where your thumb holds the camera--so I'm constantly zoming when I don't want to. Other than that, it's well designed and rugged, and the form factor means it slides easily into PDF pockets.

For the record, Lumix says the camera must be returned to them annually for inspection and refurbishing of the gaskets. I think the cost including shipping is almost $100 so I don't think I'll be doing that for a $220 camera. I think the warantee depends on it, though it's only one year I think. Panasonic has a really dreadful reputation for warantee service, so you might want to think of the camera as disposable: when it breaks, get another.

Besides rinsing in fresh water, the other thing I do is dress all gaskets once or twice a season with silicone grease.

I have used the Olympus 8010 for a few years now with absolutely no problems. The only downside is the long power-up lag which had been fixed with a newer model. At 14 megapixels it has provided me with pretty crisp pics but I fear it's on its last leg.

My Olympus 8010 has had its share of bumps and numerous bruises over the years. My big initial attraction to the 8010 was the built in retractable lens cover which I think Olympus may be discontinuing. I suppose they may have been getting tired of returns for this feature malfunctioning. I have experienced the occasional slight sticking when a grain of sand got lodged but it always seemed to fix itself, at times with the aid of a bit of finger pressure. I'll take that inconvenience over all the potentially lost pics due to salt water spots.

So what's next? I'm not sure but typically March will unveil updated models but be prepared to pay list price for those puppies!

I'll most likely stay with Olympus because they have been without a doubt the strongest waterproof/shockproof cameras produced in my experience but you never know until the fat lady sings!

Doug

I have an Olympus TG-820 and a Panasonic TS3. The first Panasonic I had (the TS2) died within the warranty period because of corrosion, but Panasonic replaced it easily and quickly with the TS3. The TS3 is completely pristine after 2 seasons (used 1-2 times/wk) because I clean it carefully every time with Salt-Away. I bought the Olympus for its speed to the first shot and the retractable lens cover, both of which are excellent, but the quality of the pix was disappointing, especially the zoomed-in ones. I ended up digging out the older Panasonic.

By the way, have been keeping my open camera in a closed plastic container half-filled with rice, with a paper towel on top of the rice to keep rice dust out of the camera. It has really, really helped with the fogging problem. On hot, sticky, humid days (remember those?) I remove the camera from its bed in front of an air conditioner so it doesn't fill with moist air while I put the battery back in and close it up. Works like a charm. And keeping the camera open when not in use is better for the gaskets.

-Lisa

Edited by LHuntington

Here are some reviews of the cameras currently out there.

http://www.itsjustlight.com/photography-gear/best-waterproof-cameras/

I must admit, the (Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5K 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera with 9.3x Intelligent Zoom) is impressing me more and more.

Of course it's use of a Leica zoom lens is a big plus.

The Wifi capability allows you to download without a cord.

The 16 megapixels is cutting edge (well almost) for cropping pix without losing lots of resolution due to pixel loss.

A couple things I don't like is:

1. Supposedly the manual states, if you drop the camera and then it leaks its not covered under warranty. Um isn't the point of a tough camera so it can be dropped? Why is that voiding the warranty?

2. The camera has a rattling noise when it is off. Panasonic's response was: This is normal. The camera contains an Optical Image Stabilizer. When turned on the optical image stabilizer is engaged and thereby compensates for hand shake or camera movement. However, when it the camera is turned off the Optical Image Stabilizer is disengaged and allows movement of those components. This is the rattling or clicking that you hear.

I'm still holding out to see if Olympus will launch an updated model. I may have to break down and get a GoPro.

Lisa, interesting tip on the rice container.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

Can't thank you enough for the input it was very helpful sorting things out.

I'm a week or so away from pulling the trigger. Seems like spring should be just around the corner.

Looks like its going to be the Panasonic TS5.

Thanks again.

I've had good luck with my Lumix TS1 for , let's see, 7 years (wow). I do take care of it, generally speaking, never used it under water much, and I bought mine with a nifty neoprene case which seemed pricy, but has perhaps kept it working all this time. It is definitely corroding and I will soon be in the market for a new camera too.

I bungee my camera lens-side-down to the deck. This (ironically) keeps the lens relatively clean and dry, because I still have my nifty silicon "jacket" for the camera that acts like a rubber gasket between lens and deck. Not gonna work if you're a compulsive roller, of course, or doing rescue practice, or if you don't have a nifty silicone jacket (which unfortunately they don't make anymore *sigh*). But it's great for scenic touring or when you're holding off from the rock play taking photos of everybody else. I'm thinking of modifying my camera when the skin goes by gluing something rubbery to it around the lens. The convenience is worth it, I think.

Lisa

Edited by LHuntington

David, I did used to take my camera quite a bit while practicing summer rolling in salt water -- probably usually had it in the day hatch if I thought about it ahead of time, but I know that camera saw many a damp day in it's case.... Based on other people's experiences with the Lumix, maybe just got a good one.

David, I did used to take my camera quite a bit while practicing summer rolling in salt water -- probably usually had it in the day hatch if I thought about it ahead of time, but I know that camera saw many a damp day in it's case.... Based on other people's experiences with the Lumix, maybe just got a good one.

Oops, I wasn't clear - haven't had any real problems with the camera in a case. I'm just saying it's quicker on deck, and it's more likely to have smudges or dried salt or water drops on the lens to deal with (rinse off) if it's stored against wet neoprene. That can make you miss a good shot. My camera has been dunked and battered plenty of times - no problems there. But if you are having a sporty day with it on deck it might be in your way. There might be water drops to shake off or rinse off anyway. So a case might be better.

If you're thinking about corrosion, well, it's a small sampling to get the data from but I can say that the first Lumix, which I rinsed very carefully in fresh water every time, lasted less than 1 season. The second one, which I washed every time with Salt-Away, has done 2.5 seasons with no hint of corrosion yet. In both cases I used the camera in salt water about 1-2x/week from about April to Oct. or Nov.

-Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a very nice one.

I thought that you had a preference for one that had a lens that had a protective shutter to keep the water away. Have you found something to apply to the lens or anther trick?

Looks like a very nice one.

I thought that you had a preference for one that had a lens that had a protective shutter to keep the water away. Have you found something to apply to the lens or anther trick?

I can't understand why they are not continuing with the retractable lens cover. I assume they must have taken back quite a few with warranty issues as the RLC was the most delicate mechanism exposed to the elements. Salt build up hung mine up from time to time but the slight inconvenience was well worth no spots or orbs on my pics.

I surmise they must have perfected the lens coating to repel most droplets. I'll keep a little fresh water squeeze bottle handy to rinse the lens should I see the need to. I will miss the retractable option. I do like the optional fisheye and telephoto snap on lens features, the 16 megapixels and most important wifi for quick downloads.

I just need to teach this old dog some new tricks.