Waterproof Camera Reviews

David M

Probably kayaking is one of the few situations where water droplets are such a problem. Other types of usage (swimming, boating, etc.) it's usually either in the water or not.

I hope that red metallic finish case doesn't have the same corrosion problems that the Lumix has (I always, perhaps erroneously, ascribed the corrosion to that flashy finish). Time will tell :-) I wonder if the black has the same sort of finish(?)

Can't wait to see the pix, Doug!

-Lisa

Doug, the Olympus looks like a great option. I'm doing a two week trip to Alaska in early July so I pulled the trigger to get familiar with the camera. I purchased it from B and H Photo in NY. We do a lot of work related purchases with them. I ended up grabbing a three year protection plan covering "water immersion and drops."

I'm also looking at Salt-away thanks to this thread and an Aquapac cover. I suppose that's a bit obsessive with a "waterproof" camera.

Thanks to all for the good conversation.

• 4 weeks later...

B&H just e-mailed me about this new waterproof Camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Ricoh-WG-4-GPS-Digital-Camera/ci/24665/N/3937957377?cm_mmc=EML-_-Newsletter_Newsletter-_-140424-_-Body_Retail_WG-4-GPS-Digital-Camera

I haven't used it touched it or really looked at it. It's nice to see that new options exist. I would really love to see one that had the speed of a SLR..... I doubt that this one does.

B&H just e-mailed me about this new waterproof Camera:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Ricoh-WG-4-GPS-Digital-Camera/ci/24665/N/3937957377?cm_mmc=EML-_-Newsletter_Newsletter-_-140424-_-Body_Retail_WG-4-GPS-Digital-Camera

I haven't used it touched it or really looked at it. It's nice to see that new options exist. I would really love to see one that had the speed of a SLR..... I doubt that this one does.

Richoh is the rebrand of Pentax. Some folks love them; some hate them. I'm waiting to see if Nikon gets the bugs worked out of the AW1 in the next version.

Phil

Richoh is the rebrand of Pentax. Some folks love them; some hate them. I'm waiting to see if Nikon gets the bugs worked out of the AW1 in the next version.

Phil

Ha,ha. Buy the rebranded Pentax in "Lime Yellow" and save $50. Actually, the yellow one doesn't have the GPS feature. What stupid marketing and nomenclature by Ricoh, et alia, by calling all of them by the same name.

BTW, although the Pentax Optio's usually rate lower in image quality, this reviewer rates the the Pentax WG-3 GPS number 1 in all categories. Go figure? I wonder if the Pentax WG-3 GPS is the same as the Ricoh WG-4GPS?

Leon:

I suspect that "review" is really not review at all, but simply a compilation of specs.

To know how well a camera actually performs it pays to go to a site such as these which put a camera through its paces and detail it ability to provide good images as well as how it handles.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/pentax/optio-wg-2/pentax-optio-wg-2-review.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-wg3

Ed Lawson

Edited by EEL

Ha,ha. Buy the rebranded Pentax in "Lime Yellow" and save $50. Actually, the yellow one doesn't have the GPS feature. What stupid marketing and nomenclature by Ricoh, et alia, by calling all of them by the same name.

BTW, although the Pentax Optio's usually rate lower in image quality, this reviewer rates the the Pentax WG-3 GPS number 1 in all categories. Go figure? I wonder if the Pentax WG-3 GPS is the same as the Ricoh WG-4GPS?

Maybe I've spread some confusion with the word rebranding. Ricoh bought Pentax a few years ago and is now distributing some of the pentax models (mostly point and shoot models) under its name. If you see it advertised as pentax, its probably old stock.

Phil