North Labrador

josko

• 4 months later...

We are planning a ~4 week (on the water) trip in Northern Labrador in July-August '14 and may have room for an experienced paddler or two. Please contact me if interested.

Edited by josko

Wow, that will be an amazing trip.

As for who has been up that way, I only know personally of Russell Farrow of Sweetwater Kayaks. Call him at the shop and see if he would share with you the logistics. Also Nigel Foster has spent some time up that way. He has a website and you could approach him through that. I would suggest you read up a bit on Nigel Foster's early trip up that way. He did return later with his wife Kristen and to hear her tell the Polar Bear stories, it would make you think twice! They did have guns but had landed for a quick pee and the bear was there before they could have gotten the gun off the deck.

I did talk to Russ Farrow at the Midcoast last year and read Nigel's book. Also, Rob Lemmon is taking a group uyp there this summer. There's tons of fascinating literature on the area; the staff at the Torngat National Park has been absolutely wonerful, friendly, and helpful.

It should be a fun trip.

Nigel Foster's book 'Stepping Stones' is a great read. His solo crossing from Baffin Island to Labrador is a fascinating illustration in how much personal risk some folks are willing to take.

Edited by josko

• 6 months later...

Hey Josko, welcome back!

As you craft your trip report, I would value any insights you gathered regarding group dynamics and team building activities. I would guess you started with a diverse group of paddlers and had the challenge of building a solid team to complete your journey. What kind of group activities were required and how did those activities help you? I will greatly enjoy reading your trip report!

Thanks,

Warren

We do have a lot of experiences to share and are getting a presentation together - seems like a great way to spend a winter afternoon.

(FWIW, Sunday a week ago (8/17) we bullied a bear off a beach 'cause we really wanted to camp there..)

Edited by josko

There are black bears in Labrador, but I've heard they are not the cuddly little black bears we tend to see in New England. That said, I doubt they are in the same league with polar bears or even brown bears.

Ed Lawson

We'll likely give at talk at the Autumn Gales, and are certainly game to set up another date this fall/winter.

(I think people are way too scared of polar bears without a good reason.)

Edited by josko

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Josko, I happened upon Melissa's facebook photos of your trip to Labrador. What a spectacular trip! I am exceedingly envious. I hadn't realized it was just the two of you. Such beautiful austere places you paddled to. I can't wait to see your presentation in January. I have many questions!