kokatat drysuit - pros and cons of different styles

beckt

It is drysuit replacement time and I would like to get some input on the different styles and features of the kokatat suits. Which do you wear and why do you like it.... what would you change? Features, pockets, zippers, overskirts, hoods.

I might suggest the expedition version without the hood.

Booties essential. The relief zipper I don't use very often and could probably do without it, but it's nice to have when I really need it. I wish mine had the piece to go over the sprayskirt tunnel - that would keep the cockpit drier. And I've developed hood envy while paddling in cold rain with a friend who has a hood on her drysuit. I'd definitely add that if I were to purchase a new one (which I may never have to do, as Kokatat replaced my 6-yr-old suit 2 years ago). Not a big deal - I used a thin neo balaclava instead of a hood - but since you asked...

Kate

The expedition with hood and pockets is worth it if you can do the price. Pockets carry snacks and a light wool cap for me. And I'm not sure they always offer this, but I was able to pay the price difference when my GMER delaminated and get a replacement Expedition.

best

Phil

I have the plain old vanilla -- actually it's black -- GMER drysuit. No hood as I can't stand having anything around my neck, but I have a "rainbow" relief zipper and booties, absolute essentials for me. In winter I wear a Kokatat fleece lined hood and a wool toque over that, which keeps the cold away.

As Phil mentioned, they will add things to a replacement dry suit for a very reasonable price. When Bob's blue GMER delaminated, Kokatat made his new one in black for $40.00 while apologizing for having to charge for doing so.

Great company, great product, great customer service.

Deb

I have an Expedition model. It has a hood. I am not normally a hood fan but I really love having the hood available for if I need it. I usually use it when I am off the water rather than on the water. I am curious to know if anyone who has the hood would prefer that they didn't have it.

Oh - not the older style Expedition models. They had a different design hood and it was made out of a stiffer material (Gore Tex Performance Shell rather than the current version which uses Gore Tex Pac Light). I didn't use to recommend that Expedition model but I love the current model with the lighter weight hood.

Hey Deb - what made you guys decide to stick to the "plain vanilla"?

We figured plain vanilla worked just as well as Haagen Daz:). Also, we're "thrifty", although I cannot imagine having a dry suit without booties, a big, honking rainbow relief zipper and the tunnel that fits over a sprayskirt. No matter what, though, if it's Kokatat, it's good. Deb

It is drysuit replacement time and I would like to get some input on the different styles and features of the kokatat suits. Which do you wear and why do you like it.... what would you change? Features, pockets, zippers, overskirts, hoods.

I am surprised no one has asked yet... What type of paddling do you do that you need a dry suit? Are you a shoulder season paddler that just needs that extra protection when the water dips into the low 60's & upper 50's, or are you a cold weather paddler trying to get your last paddle in before the snow flies?I started out being a shoulder season paddler, and opted for the basic Front Entry suit with relief zipper and socks. I considered the Meridian, which offers covered zipper and the overskirt, but they did not seem worth the additional cost and additional hassle to deal with. I just purchased a new spray skirt, and will need to determine just how much water actually gets in, so I don't know how much the overskirt really helps. For most sea kayaking though, I don't think it offers as much as it would a white-water paddler.As I move towards four-season paddling (looking forward to our first snow-paddle!), I would probably opt for the hood. I am very glad to hear from Suz that they have improved the material to be softer and quieter. Noise around the ears is a very big problem, and any help we can get is good.Neoprene caps and hoods may serve you well, and that is what I use. Just remember that your head will still get wet. I believe the point of the Kokatat hood is that it will keep your head dry.I have noticed that all of the new suits seem to have a chest pocket. I prefer arm pockets that are more accessable when wearing a PFD, but I think they are only on the Expedition suits. Most PFDs now have plenty of pockets anyway.

Hope I am not out of line with this post but - if you are looking for an XL Expedition with shortened legs and arms and ALL the bells and whistles let me know. I have a brand new one that I bought last fall and never wore in the water. Tags stil on it. I was hoping to drop weight and I never did. It is just slightly too small on me and I'm giving up and and ready to sell it this fall. In the meantime I purchased a goretex tuilik and I think that is really all I need and want so I am not going to keep a dry suit. Maybe buy another someday down the road but not in the short term. I dont' know for sure but I think mine is the lighter hood material. It rolls up out of the way and seems comfortable to me. I purchased this from Kayak Academy from a bunch that they had specially made with covers over ALL the zippers. Its yellow. I'd sell it at a price that makes sense for you.

Goretex (not latex) booties, relief zipper, no hood (aural and visual limiting), can't imagine pockets anywhere except on the arms that would be of use, never had an integrated tunnel and never missed it. We own one Kokatat and one Palm, both excellent quailty, were buying a second Palm and switched to Kokatat for delivery.

Next time around I would opt for wrist gaskets, though no neck gaskets, relief zipper, but no booties.

(For me the booties always leak so if your going to have wet feet why bother).

...however any item on sale would skew my list of preferences a fair amount....

Just my two cents while I am avoiding housework before heading in for the shift...

It seems like a good time to be looking for a drysuit - I saw a Kokotat at the LL Bean outlet in Bangor this week (ok, I know that does not help most of you) for $359.00. It was the usual purple and yellow, men's small, brand new and not a return. It had been marked down from $899.00 to $718.00, and now everything in that section is 50% off. So keep your eyes open. You may luck out.

Cath

I love the booties and the over skirt. I am careful with my booties I never walk in them without my shoes and other than the one time the foot got slammed in the trunk latch they have never had a leak.

One of the other joys of winter paddling (other than never getting ones feet wet) is to have a dry boat. In the summer when conditions are interesting I seem to always have to sponge water out of my boat. When I sandwich my spray deck tunnel in my dry top of dry suit I no longer have to worry about the water around my legs as I have a basically dry boat. In the winter IMO it's more important to keep the water out then in the summer.

I am surprised no one has asked yet... What type of paddling do you do that you need a dry suit? Are you a shoulder season paddler that just needs that extra protection when the water dips into the low 60's & upper 50's, or are you a cold weather paddler trying to get your last paddle in before the snow flies?I started out being a shoulder season paddler, and opted for the basic Front Entry suit with relief zipper and socks. I considered the Meridian, which offers covered zipper and the overskirt, but they did not seem worth the additional cost and additional hassle to deal with. I just purchased a new spray skirt, and will need to determine just how much water actually gets in, so I don't know how much the overskirt really helps. For most sea kayaking though, I don't think it offers as much as it would a white-water paddler.As I move towards four-season paddling (looking forward to our first snow-paddle!), I would probably opt for the hood. I am very glad to hear from Suz that they have improved the material to be softer and quieter. Noise around the ears is a very big problem, and any help we can get is good.Neoprene caps and hoods may serve you well, and that is what I use. Just remember that your head will still get wet. I believe the point of the Kokatat hood is that it will keep your head dry.I have noticed that all of the new suits seem to have a chest pocket. I prefer arm pockets that are more accessable when wearing a PFD, but I think they are only on the Expedition suits. Most PFDs now have plenty of pockets anyway.

It wasn't necessary to ask the questions of beckt. Beckt stated they were replacing their drysuit, and asked what features were liked/disliked. Not do they need one. Do you 'need' a drysuit could best be handled as a separate question entirely!

BTW, not sure by how you worded your statement about the Kokatat hood keeping your head dry - just for the record, it is a rain hood, not a "dry" rain hood. Meaning, it keeps rain off by shedding water but if you were to swim, you head does get wet. It adds extra warmth quickly like any hat will do.

Next time around I would opt for wrist gaskets, though no neck gaskets, relief zipper, but no booties.

(For me the booties always leak so if your going to have wet feet why bother).

...however any item on sale would skew my list of preferences a fair amount....

Spider if your booties (really, read SOCKS) are leaking, then better look at how you are using them. Do you walk on the ground while getting dressed? I usually put my one leg in, then the shoe right on top. If I use a changing mat, then I put the bottom half of the suit on and then the shoes...

Speaking of shoes - shoes that are holey - like crocs or mesh don't serve to protect the sock from abrasion. A closed neoprene shoe does the job really well.

I have the Goretex Meridian (GMER) and like it very much. I had the GFER ( the sort of no-frills model, no tunnel, pockets, hood ) and upgraded to a Meridian when I got a free new suit on Gore-tex warranty when they found some fabric de-lamination when I sent it in for gasket replacement .(I paid the difference in price, something like $100) The main difference is that the Meridian has a tunnel, which I think is very useful. The tunnel keeps water out as others have said, and serves a dual purpose of acting sort of like a waistband: the suit is a bit snug at the waist and doesn't sag. Mine is size XL, which has longer legs than I need , so the GFER suit without the tunnel tended to sag below the waist.

The next model up is the Expedition: I think its basically the Meridian with more bells and whistles (pockets, a hood etc) which I think I can do without.

I think that Gore tex booties/socks and a relief zipper are highly advisable.

I love my Kokatat Expedition with the over skirt, arm pockets, drop seat. Although I don't need the hood often, when I DO need it, it's usually a miserable day and much appreciated, My suggestion is to get the best suit you can afford since it's one of the best investments you can make. I,too, am the lucky recipient of a replacement suit. Mine was wetting out after about 4 years, sent back to Kokatat for repair. Brand spanking new one arrived shortly thereafter because they determined it was delaminating...

There is one small problem with hoods and I am surprised that no one has mentioned it: when (deliberately) rolling, an unworn hood (ie, down and around the neck) fills with water, making for a sloppy and weighty recovery and...you get the picture? I have experienced this with a hooded paddling jacket.

Personally, I prefer a hoodless drysuit plus a brimmed rain-hat.