kokatat drysuit - pros and cons of different styles

beckt

This has not been an issue for me at all

There is one small problem with hoods and I am surprised that no one has mentioned it: when (deliberately) rolling, an unworn hood (ie, down and around the neck) fills with water, making for a sloppy and weighty recovery and...you get the picture? I have experienced this with a hooded paddling jacket.

Personally, I prefer a hoodless drysuit plus a brimmed rain-hat.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone for your input... you all helped me with my decision... going for the expedition WITH the hood. I will be adding the pee zip and subtracting the drop seat.

Thanks again

The hood rolls and Velcros in place so you won't have to worry about it with rolling. You might check with Suz as to the zipper position, I recall that it's recomended to have it moved down an inch or two on a woman's dry suit.

• 2 months later...

I have the vanilla kokatat GoreTex, relief zipper. I do covet the expedition, I guess with the hood.

Temperatures - I have an annual New Year's day paddle on Nantucket Sound, so it's pretty much a must for me. My transition temperatures (water) 50 to 55 and below is drysuit weather, 55 to 65 is wetsuit range. Above 65, it partly depends on atmospheric conditions, short wetsuits mostly.

Depending on the water temps, I have a different range of under clothing, going down to wicking long underwear and fleece for the coldest.

I do recall one ghastly day off Mt. Desert with 50 degree water temps and 90 degree air temp. Practice rescues seemed to be particularly popular that day.

I have a question re: the attached skirt. Can it be tucked away in some fashion so you can use the suit for other water activities?

There is not actually an attached skirt, but what people have referred to an "over-skirt" or some other terms. I don't know the offical name, but there is a part of some drysuits that will go over a spray skirt tunnel and provide additional protection from water infiltration into the boat. It sorta looks like a cumberbund.