Salem Sound L2+ Trip, July 7th

rylevine

This is the postponed L2/L2+ paddle from last month: Rescheduled for July 7th.

Leave Riverhead in Marblehead to Brown's Island, BIB 10:30am, round Marblehead tip, and head for Salem along coast. At Naugus Head make decision about crossing harbor to Winter Island, depending on conditions and preferences of group. If we take that route, then put-in at Willows for lunch, otherwise continue down Marblehead coast to Forest River Park for lunch. After lunch, if interest and time, could visit Friendship in Salem via coasts to long wharf. Total distance 7-7.5 miles. At two knots expect paddle times of about 3 hours + 2 hours for lunch and exploring coasts - about 5 hours total. Should be back by around 3:30. This is an L2+ trip so wet exit capability is required. L3/4 paddlers desperate to leave gel coat behind on Marblehead/Brown's ledges will be tolerated. If interest, there will also be rudimentary H2O orienteering sessions - where are we? and where are we going? exercises.

Please RSVP if attending. Post here or PM to me.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Was planning to join you on the 6th and after to head up to Boothbay, but now that it is the 7th, I'll catch up with you next time!

Sue

:douglas:

Looks like a hot day on Saturday. More information:

LT 9:05am HT 2:57pm

1ft waves, <10 knot SW wind

Possible late afternoon T-storms

conditions: http://graphical.wea...ineDay.php#tabs

Parking: I called Marblehead Town Office, after checking out the sign at put-in. Looks like $10 nonresident parking fee is in effect for Riverhead side of street.

Bob

If this is where we launched for the solstice paddle, on one side of the road (where the covered pavilion is) it was paid parking, on the other side, with the boat launch (to the left if you're approaching from Salem) it was free - although some space was taken up by movie trailers for the Adam Sandler movie filming in town. None of us had to pay anything that day for parking on the boat launch side. So the $10 fee - are you talking about left/boat launch side of the street or the other/covered pavilion parking lot?

pru

Hi Pru,

The sign at Riverhead (left side from Salem) said that a permit is required and check at the attendant shed. The sign looks recent, so may not have been there for the CAM session (when I was last at Riverhead). I checked at the (right side) Devereux gate, and nobody was there to ask so I called the rec department. I think my question was quite explicit to the town employee that I spoke to; and he said that the fee was required to park at Riverhead. The right side is Devereux beach parking for which there is a fee for non-residential parking - at least if an attendant is at the gate. Perhaps it is not enforced for Riverhead?

Bob

Hi. There was some discussion about parking and fees at the Solstice paddle. Someone checked and got permission for us all to park there that day for free but the attendant said after that we could put in there but we'd have to pay and I think park across the street. Does anyone else remember that?

Janice

I'll come prepared with 10 bucks. I dont think there was a sign about paying for parking at Riverhead, but maybe that's the difference between solstice and post fourth of july! A small price to pay for an anticipated great day on the water - see everyone there!

pru

Will check conditions in the early am, but don't anticipate change of plans.

Try to get there by 10:00am or before. BIB 10:30am. See everyone at Riverhead!

- Bob

Rob, in case you don't get my message, I need to fix my car rack - one of the locks is loose. If I'm not at the put-in on time don't wait, I'm not coming in that case. I'm going to try & fix it and get there however! Florrie

Hey Everyone,

Julie and I had a really nice time with you all and enjoyed meeting you. It was certainly a beautiful day out for a paddle. Thank you also Bob for organizing this trip! I thumbed through one of my bird books and Pru you're correct that one bird we saw on Coney Island was indeed an American Oystercatcher....good id!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Oystercatcher

Hope to see you all at the time paddle outing