Winners of the 2011 NSPN Awards!

PeterB

The winners of the 2011 NSPN yearly awards were announced at the Holiday Party last Saturday.

Congratulations all!

PADDLER OF THE YEAR AWARD: LESLIE BEALE

(The Paddler of the Year award is given to the person who made the greatest contributions to benefit the club's membership.")

TRAVERSO AWARD: WARREN PARLEE

(The Traverso award goes to the member who has shown the most improvement through taking a "never quit “ attitude in the last year. This award is supported by a memorial gift in honor of Jim Traverso, a member who lost his life on the Sun Kosi River in Nepal in 1999. Jim was a dedicated teacher, guide, adventurer, and lover of the outdoors. ")

FOUNDERS AWARD::PETER BRADY

(“The Founders award is given to the person deemed by the members of the club to have done the most to keep the NSPN spirit alive by giving of themselves to better the club, in ways that may not always be visible.")

"SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS" AWARD: RICK STOEHRER

(A lighthearted, a a-bit-less-than- half- serious award celebrating the club member who indured notable insults to boat, body or personal property in the course of kayaking. This was in recognition of some whirlpool rescue incident in Cobscoook Bay, in addition to lifetime achievements involving scarred boat and battered body.)

The winners of the 2011 NSPN yearly awards were announced at the Holiday Party last Saturday.

Congratulations all!

PADDLER OF THE YEAR AWARD: LESLIE BEALE

(The Paddler of the Year award is given to the person who made the greatest contributions to benefit the club's membership.")

TRAVERSO AWARD: WARREN PARLEE

(The Traverso award goes to the member who has shown the most improvement through taking a "never quit “ attitude in the last year. This award is supported by a memorial gift in honor of Jim Traverso, a member who lost his life on the Sun Kosi River in Nepal in 1999. Jim was a dedicated teacher, guide, adventurer, and lover of the outdoors. ")

FOUNDERS AWARD::PETER BRADY

(“The Founders award is given to the person deemed by the members of the club to have done the most to keep the NSPN spirit alive by giving of themselves to better the club, in ways that may not always be visible.")

"SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS" AWARD: RICK STOEHRER

(A lighthearted, a a-bit-less-than- half- serious award celebrating the club member who indured notable insults to boat, body or personal property in the course of kayaking. This was in recognition of some whirlpool rescue incident in Cobscoook Bay, in addition to lifetime achievements involving scarred boat and battered body.)

After having plenty of encounters with various Scylla...this was my first encounter with Charybdis. I found her to be a much tougher bitch.

I would like to thank all the members who nominated me for the Traservo Award and the Board of Directors for selecting me. It is a great honor and a great way to cap off my first year of kayaking. I wish I could have been able to attend the Holiday Party to receive the award, but I was being discharged for the hospital after having a spinal fusion procedure to repair my lower back. My recovery journey is going very well and will be coupled to an intensive weigth training program starting in January so that I can emerge stronger and better prepared for kayaking camping expeditions in 2012. Shortly after the New Year, Santa is planning a delivery of my new expedition quality kayak and an expanded collection of camping gear so that Pru and I can enjoy many camping trips off the coast of Maine. Recently, a collection of NOAA charts for the Jonesport/Machias regions arrived and Staples helped me prepare laminated sections for each of our trips. (Thank you Ed Lawson for the great idea, the charts look awesome!)

I would also like to wish all the NSPN community a safe and healthy holiday season. Hopefully, we will each have many opportunities to use these winter months to begin planning for our kayak camping expeditions in 2012.

Take care,

Warren

I would like to thank all the members who nominated me for the Traservo Award and the Board of Directors for selecting me. It is a great honor and a great way to cap off my first year of kayaking. I wish I could have been able to attend the Holiday Party to receive the award, but I was being discharged for the hospital after having a spinal fusion procedure to repair my lower back. My recovery journey is going very well and will be coupled to an intensive weigth training program starting in January so that I can emerge stronger and better prepared for kayaking camping expeditions in 2012. Shortly after the New Year, Santa is planning a delivery of my new expedition quality kayak and an expanded collection of camping gear so that Pru and I can enjoy many camping trips off the coast of Maine. Recently, a collection of NOAA charts for the Jonesport/Machias regions arrived and Staples helped me prepare laminated sections for each of our trips. (Thank you Ed Lawson for the great idea, the charts look awesome!)

I would also like to wish all the NSPN community a safe and healthy holiday season. Hopefully, we will each have many opportunities to use these winter months to begin planning for our kayak camping expeditions in 2012.

Take care,

Warren

Warren,

what's the expedition kayak?

Peter, I am ordering a 2012 NDK Explorer 50/50 layup with custom forward bulkhead placement and a few other details that I need from Tom at MIKCo. Tom believes the container will arrive Feb/Mar which probably means Mar/Apr which will be fine for me. Same colors as my Romany, just a little longer. Should hold all my gear.

Warren

Peter, I am ordering a 2012 NDK Explorer 50/50 layup with custom forward bulkhead placement and a few other details that I need from Tom at MIKCo. Tom believes the container will arrive Feb/Mar which probably means Mar/Apr which will be fine for me. Same colors as my Romany, just a little longer. Should hold all my gear.

Warren

splendid!

And the wine cooler and martini bar!

So long has you have a decent shaker (can we make Manahattans after the martini crowd?) and a pot for cooking lobsters count me in on next trip.

Seems the least a a cargo carrying Explorer paddler could do. <g>

Seriously. Saddened to hear of medical issues, gladdened to hear all is well. With therapy and luck with shipping from UK you will be ready for even more adventurous trips.

Ed lawson

Take care,

Warren

Well-deserved award! And my best wishes for your quick recovery. Having a new boat on the way is great incentive to stick with the PT program - very wise of you to arrange it! I hope to meet you and Pru in the coming year.

Kate

Warren

Warren,

Congratulations on the Traverso award and the new kayak. Looks like your PT schedule, boat delivery, and reasonable weather are all converging at the same time!

Bob

Warren,

Congrats on the award-you deserved it. I've had an Explorer and think it a great choice but I'm really envious over your newly acquired and improved lower back-was it a 50/50 layup or did they just apply a keel strip?

Gene,

Thank you for the great concept! I did not have a chance to think about it, but yes, I received a true paddlers spinal fusion! They used 50% local bone and 50% man made cages with two keel strips held in place with 6 screws. I did not get a chance to pick a color for the keel strip but since it does not show, who would notice. Now what a really need is a full clear gelcoat repair, maybe next year.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Katherine,

Thank you for your kind words. I am planning the use the Romany often this coming year. The Romany will no doubt be my favorite since it is perfect for day trips and one or two night camping trips. I do, however, have a strong desire to complete several camping trips that are longer than 3 nights. For those trips the Romany's storage capacity would be too tight for me. With the two boats I am hoping to spend even more time on the water in 2012.

Katherine, I hope 2012 will be a great year for you and I look forward to seeing you on the water.

Warren