NSPN CAM Paddling Trips Workshop:"Moving on the Water Part 1" Saturday May 22

PeterB

NSPN CAM (Common Adventure Model) Paddling Trips Workshop

“Moving on the Water Part 1“

Saturday, May 22 Riverhead beach , Marblehead

A full day on-the-water workshop (9M to 4PM)

The material we covered in the May 8th CAM Paddling Trips Workshop will be put into practice on the water!

This workshop, we'll practice:

Beach Briefings

Paddling as a CAM group

Launching and Landing

Traveling on the Water

Rescues & Tows

Meet at Riverhead Beach, Marbblehead at 9AM.

RSVPs are needed, we'll need a pre- head count to organize presenters and paddling groups.

All members are welcome! (You do not have to have attended the May 8 session)

Bring: boats and personal equipment, be prepared to be outside, on-the-water all day.

Wetsuits or drysuits required.

RSVP to Peter Brady: either by PM on the message board, at pbrady at neaq dot org.

If you have any questions (what to bring, what we’ll be doing,

where to go, etc.), post here or contact a member of the CAM committee:

Ross Bartosik, Peter Brady, Scott Camlin Rob Hazard, Suzanne Hutchinson, Sal Puglisi

NSPN CAM (Common Adventure Model) Paddling Trips Workshop

“Moving on the Water Part 1“

Saturday, May 22 Riverhead beach , Marblehead

A full day on-the-water workshop (9M to 4PM)

snip...

Meet at Riverhead Beach, Marbblehead at 9AM.

snip...

This will be my first NSPN event. I've already RSVP'ed, and I'm impatiently awaiting Saturday! :D

I had a few logistics questions. First, did Google correctly find where I should go on Saturday?

Google Maps: Riverhead Beach, Marblehead, MA

Second, are there any directions/gotchas on where to park/unload when I get there?

Third, is 9AM meeting time the time to pull into the parking lot, or the time to have my boat ready to push off? This is going to be a fun long day for me, but an even longer day for my dog at home. :toilet_monster:

thanks,

Bill

This will be my first NSPN event. I've already RSVP'ed, and I'm impatiently awaiting Saturday! :D

I had a few logistics questions. First, did Google correctly find where I should go on Saturday?

Google Maps: Riverhead Beach, Marblehead, MA

Second, are there any directions/gotchas on where to park/unload when I get there?

Third, is 9AM meeting time the time to pull into the parking lot, or the time to have my boat ready to push off? This is going to be a fun long day for me, but an even longer day for my dog at home. :toilet_monster:

thanks,

Bill

Bill, that Google Map is spot on. As you arrive, you'll see beach parking on the right and the boat ramp to the harbor on the left. We'll be at the boat ramp harbor side. If you see a trip posting leaving from Deveraux, that's the beach on the other side.

Usually folks post the BIB (butt in boat time) but it's not clear in this case. I'm guessing we'll spend some time on the beach before we launch. That said, I'd be ready to participate by 9am.

So CAM organizers: it's tuesday, what's the plan for Saturday? How many folks do we expect, how many groups and destinations are you thinking of, what do you need from those of us showing up?

Phil

it says 9am, right? so you're ready for whatever rolls out at 9am on the beach - that way, even if there is an extensive beach briefing, you're ready to rock when that's over and the groups are sorted out and no one is wasting time.

i'm not an organizer of the shindig but since it's a COMMON adventure model, here's what i'm doing....

check the weather on the day as it approaches and be familiar with that morning's forecast.

check the tide.

any current i need to be concerned about?

i'd bring my kit with me (especially my tow belt and helmet) and i'd be dressed for immersion...so

i guess i need an idea of the water temp too.

it says 9am, right? so you're ready for whatever rolls out at 9am on the beach - that way, even if there is an extensive beach briefing, you're ready to rock when that's over and the groups are sorted out and no one is wasting time.

i'm not an organizer of the shindig but since it's a COMMON adventure model, here's what i'm doing....

check the weather on the day as it approaches and be familiar with that morning's forecast.

check the tide.

any current i need to be concerned about?

i'd bring my kit with me (especially my tow belt and helmet) and i'd be dressed for immersion...so

i guess i need an idea of the water temp too.

Since it's a "common" adventure, I'd prefer to have a clue about what the other adventurers are thinking before I show up. More info the better :D

Phil

Since it's a "common" adventure, I'd prefer to have a clue about what the other adventurers are thinking before I show up. More info the better :D

Phil

Hey Phil,

This adventurer is thinking that "ready to roll" by 9:00AM at Riverhead is way too freaking early!

If you're looking for answers to the (good) questions Rick put forward, some sources here:

NOAA weather online: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/

Graphical forecast for near shore conditions: http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...neWeek.php#tabs

off shore buoys for wave heights and water temps:

http://gyre.umeoce.maine.edu/data/gomoos/b...ollover_map.php

graphical satellite surface water temps (better nearshore but can be obscured by cloud cover and fog:

http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/sat_data/?no...;region=capecod

and tide tables for New England can be found here:

http://www.maineharbors.com/

and for Marblehead harbor dates in May here:

http://www.boatma.com/tides/May/Salem-Salem-Harbor.html

:D

Phil

the point being that if the post says 9am, then if i'm ready at 9am and no one is waiting on me.

Methinks Rick S. might be the last to show up, but will be the first ready to paddle. Perhaps something to learn from him before you even get to the beach briefing. Let alone arriving ready to go and knowing, as best one can, what the day may bring. Rumor has it that other Rick has the same talent.

Ed Lawson

Methinks Rick S. might be the last to show up, but will be the first ready to paddle. Perhaps something to learn from him before you even get to the beach briefing. Let alone arriving ready to go and knowing, as best one can, what the day may bring. Rumor has it that other Rick has the same talent.

Ed Lawson

you do something long enough, you get a routine.

routines are funny though....when janis and i first got married and we'd paddle together i still had that pickup truck/cap and the routine was my loading up solo outta the back there and now here i was suddenly crowded and rushed by this other person <in my space!> doing the same thing...moving my stuff...it was very disconcerting! she brought to my attention that it was no longer my space....and she's been straightening me out since! :o

phil, didn't mean to bite your head off...apparently a little grumpy today. nothing a little salt water won't fix.

I am planning on attending too. See you at Riverhead Beach at 9:00~

~Dee