NSPN CAM Paddling Trips Workshop

PeterB

Here’s an updated, simplified outline for the program for Saturday:

Workshop starts at 9:00 AM.

Morning :

1)CAM TRIPS (Peter Brady) 1.5 HRS

CAM principles , How CAM applies to NSPN trips: initiating CAM trips , role of trip initiator, and participants, leadership and CAM.)

2)PLANNING A TRIP (Scott Camlin) 1.5 HRS

Trip selection, trip levels, charts, predicting conditions, planning resources, guidelines.

LUNCH

Afternoon:

3)BEACH BRIEFINGS (Galen Carey) 30 MIN

4)MOVING ON THE WATER ( Rick Crangle) 1 HR

Paddle formation, group awareness, sub-groups, breaks, group speed, hazards)boat traffic etc)

5)INCIDENT MANAGEMENT: 1HR

Handling scenarios: (Suzanne Hutchinson )30 MIN

Late arrivals, slow paddlers, fast paddlers, independent paddlers, group dispersal , leaving the trip

Incidents on the water: (Rick Stoehrer )30 MIN

Capsizes, rescues, tows, accidents, evacuations

Perhaps more importantly, Suz all have coffee cake and Bill Harter will have his coffee machine.

Bring lunch or something to share ; we also have the option to pass a hat and get something like pizza if that's what people want.

Morning :

CAM principles , How CAM applies to NSPN trips: initiating CAM trips , role of trip initiator, and participants, leadership and CAM.)

Trip selection, trip levels, charts, predicting conditions, planning resources, guidelines.

LUNCH

Afternoon:

Paddle formation, group awareness, sub-groups, breaks, group speed, hazards)boat traffic etc)

Late arrivals, slow paddlers, fast paddlers, independent paddlers, group dispersal , leaving the trip

Perhaps more importantly, Suz all have coffee cake and Bill Harter will have his coffee machine.

Bring lunch or something to share ; we also have the option to pass a hat and get something like pizza if that's what people want.

Peter,

I plan on attending. Thanks.

Bob

I will be driving north on 95 (128) from Rt 20 in Wayland. Anyone want to car pool? I can pick you up along the way. Or conversely anyone coming from further south can meet me at the rest stop near Lexington. I realize this is a stretch, after all the club is named "North Shore..."

From downtown Newburyport, take Water Street , which becomes Plum Island Turnpike , along the water front towards Plum Island.

When you reach the Joppa Flats Audubon Visitor center, (on the left) it's across the street , on the right.

The Visitors Center is not on Plum Island (Mapquest may show Plum island road as the one that runs the length of Plum Island) , its between Newburyport and Plum Island, before the airfield on the right. If you cross the bridge in to Plum Island , you've gone too far.

Morning :

LUNCH

Afternoon:

Thanks for a great day. Sorry I couldn't stay in the afternoon-- I see I missed some useful topics. I would like to come to the outdoor sessions too.

Thank you to the CAM committee/presenters for yet another very informative NSPN workshop! Lots of good discussions and sharing of knowledge & experience. I found the day very worthwhile (as usual) and would encourage all levels of NSPN paddlers to try to participate in some of the learning experiences that NSPN offers. For newer paddlers, these workshops provide tons of information on how to be a more competent participant. Thanks again for the time and effort of the presenters and those behind the scenes to put workshops like this together.

Thanks to all that organized this Workshop. It was great to see how strong and passionate our club is and I look forward to the On Water Workshops over the next few weeks.

The "Parker River Visitor Center" was a great place for this venue.

Some pics of the day....

post-100651-1273409247_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409263_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409279_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409311_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409337_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409355_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409370_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409394_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409407_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409425_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409440_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409458_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409474_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409494_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409513_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409533_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409560_thumb.jpg

post-100651-1273409583_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all for the great CAM workshop. Class room time can be just as informative and useful as actual time on the water when presented as it was on Saturday. Looking forward to the next sessions. Thanks again.

glenn.

Kudos to the CAM group and all the presenters yesterday. Besides the wealth of knowledge and experience this group possesses about sea kayaking I was equally impressed with their presentation skills. It was informative and exhaustive of the subject without being boring and even had moments of levity. I'm proud to be associated with this crowd and that includes all the thoughtful participants. Rick's comments about caring really hit home with me and I hope to demonstrate more of this on future paddles.

Kudos to the CAM group and all the presenters yesterday. Besides the wealth of knowledge and experience this group possesses about sea kayaking I was equally impressed with their presentation skills. It was informative and exhaustive of the subject without being boring and even had moments of levity. I'm proud to be associated with this crowd and that includes all the thoughtful participants. Rick's comments about caring really hit home with me and I hope to demonstrate more of this on future paddles.

And thanks to all who brought delicious snacks to share...and to Bill Harter for once again bringing the kuerig machine and an ample supply of coffee tea and cocoa.