Pavilion and the Elephant in the room!

Gcosloy

I’ve just come back from a delightful trip out to the Graves from Deer Island with Sid Cohen and re-enter to find this topic.

Kayaking is a magnificent sport, and one of the major pleasures is dealing with so many nice people—even the merchants are really nice.

It’s also demanding, and dangerous, so the candid, safety-oriented discussions on NSPN are an important way of becoming safer paddlers and comrades.

I sometimes wince a little at some postings, but can put up with it because often the content is helpful. Still, who wants the aggravation?

I’ve learned from all of this.

Tom

It somewhat distresses me that my original questions have not yet been answered which could clear this matter up completely. Many have been quoting chapter and verse on responsibility and judgment which is all fine. However, my questions had to do with who knew what and when.

You quoted my post and I thought that I had answered your questions. What did I miss?

Cheers!

Ty

> 7. if you weren't surfing with everyone else why did you do a beach

> landing in a dumping surf? Surely you know how to land in a no

> landing zone?

Probably was nothing BUT dumping surf for the past 6 or 7 miles. Next stop, Mouth of the Merrimac. Possibly not the best place to be if your completely exhausted. Like Bob said, at least there were humans on the beach beyond the dumping surf.

Gay

You quoted my post and I thought that I had answered your questions. What did I miss?

Cheers!

Ty

Nothing. Yours was the last in a series and I still hadn't heard from several of the other paddlers that day-just repeating what I had said earlier-didn't mean to single out your post. Since you had no radio you couldn't possible comment on what you heard me say directly.

quote "If this question goes unresolved no one will learn anything more from this incident. " Gene you have got to be kidding.

radio antenna theory 101 - line of site - you spoke to the coast guard in the clear because the antenna is about 100 feet in the air near the mouth of the merrimac. Channel 72 to your fellow paddlers isnt going to mean much at about 3watts with my guess radioes of questionable maintenance and an area of physical challenges. Im sure there are some Hams that can elaborate.

You are the one everyone was looking for.

What worries me Gene, as another post had stated, you exhibited symptoms of a medical situation whether it be diabetes, stroke, hypothermia or a host of others.

You may find that others dont appreciate learning about radios and group dynamics in this manner particularly if they wanted to surf.

As far as the other pieces and retorts to my earlier post -- I dont make the rules. I am telling you what is taught and what is expected from the other end. Safety of life at sea is universal not northshore of Massachusetts.

I don;t know what you want us to say you left only telling 1 or 2 paddelers your intentions I was not one of them your radio is only good for line of sight and being 2' off the water does not take much to lose reseption. From where we were surfing you could see our putin and cranes and plumisland were not more then a 15 min. paddel so with that said if you think we are at fault so be it I;ll take the blame but I think it was you who screwed up and for all of you who were not there you don't know what happend and can only ass u me what happend.

Sometimes public areas are not the best place to play out the protracted negotiations that are continuing on this topic. At some point they can deteriorate so they are not productive for those involved, those that are trying to learn from the discussions, and those who find these discussions becoming the focus of the public face of the club. I think the discussion, as always, has been good and valuable. Personally, I am not sure there is new information that is useful when posted publicly in this location.

Al

Sometimes public areas are not the best place to play out the protracted negotiations that are continuing on this topic. At some point they can deteriorate so they are not productive for those involved, those that are trying to learn from the discussions, and those who find these discussions becoming the focus of the public face of the club. I think the discussion, as always, has been good and valuable. Personally, I am not sure there is new information that is useful when posted publicly in this location.

Al

al i agree with you and think that the whole kit and kaboodle oughta be transferred over to the nspn biz side of things. there are some productive things that can come from the experience but chewing on this bone the way we are....let's move it to a club only private board so that it isn't in the public domain for the world to see....don't air your drawers in the front yard sort of thing.

once it's sorted out, then open it up on a different, public thread.

Al

Well said. I've been away without great internet capability and have such been watching this thing develop from afar with no desire to get involved and still don't except for this post. At this point, what really happened will never "truly" be known given the disparate accounts I have read. Based on those accounts, it appears that a lot of people on that day made questionable decisions, but guess what? We are all human and sh*t happens. So instead of showing each other disrespect on the message board (we can only learn from each other if we respect each other) as you all try to figure out what works and what doesn't, why not get on the water in the true collegial spirit of NSPN and just practice this stuff? Practice with radios, rescues, group management, incident management, etc. Kayaking after all is not just about catching a wave or developing the best forward stroke. So put emotions aside, drop the hard feelings, get over your egos (those on the trip and those not), lose the grudges that have surfaced or are developing and look ahead to a bright future of kayaking together.

I don;t know what you want us to say you left only telling 1 or 2 paddelers your intentions I was not one of them your radio is only good for line of sight and being 2' off the water does not take much to lose reseption. From where we were surfing you could see our putin and cranes and plumisland were not more then a 15 min. paddel so with that said if you think we are at fault so be it I;ll take the blame but I think it was you who screwed up and for all of you who were not there you don't know what happend and can only ass u me what happend.

Doug I already had agreed that I was at fault. I also said that I don't hold anyone else responsible given that they did not know I was trying to communicate, initially for a plan to return and then because I wanted some help. Several have responded to my questions about radios, but several more have not!!!!! For a group that prides itself on learning and trying to improve group dynamics on the water some of you are unusually touchy or silent. I don't think it is too intrusive to ask each paddler what they heard or did not hear-after all there seems to be some who are now questioning my veracity. Why would anyone put it out that I had decided to leave the group when I have stated over and over again that I only announced I was taking a beach break. To doubt this implies that I'm lying. That's not cool!

One more time and finally: I screwed up-no one else should be held responsible for my adventure. If in any of my posts there was the implication such that a reader could infer that I was blaming anyone else, that was not my intention. Lets all move on especially if it ever stops raining!

Thank you Al, I agree.

I could add all of my comments about what I think went wrong and what should have happened but they would be my opinions, not facts. Since I wasn't there it's very tough (almost impossible) to accurately analyze the trip. At this point in the discussion my opinions would probably be more harmful than beneficial.

Perhaps these discussions would be much more healthy and productive if they were done in person? Maybe those who went together on this trip should get together for a beer, dinner, walk in the park, etc... and debrief. A face to face discussion is almost always easier and more helpful than discussions in cyber space.

Just another member of the peanut gallery tossing in his 2 cents....... you all might be rich by the time this is over ;-)

"Maybe those who went together on this trip should get together for a beer, dinner, walk in the park, etc... and debrief. A face to face discussion is almost always easier and more helpful than discussions in cyber space."

Hey how about we all go out on another paddle!!!? Wait.... :thinking: on second thought maybe we should just go out for a beer. We'll be sure to use the bathroom in pairs. ;)

<quote>We'll have to use the bathroom in pairs.</quote>

hahaha awesome! Thanks for the much needed comic relief!

post-100437-1245344402.gif

Hey how about we all go out on another paddle!? Wait.... :thinking: on second thought maybe we should just go out for a beer. We'll be sure to use the bathroom in pairs. ;)

ROTFLMAO! :-)

...but here is my question:

Am I allowed to go on any future trips with you guys? Is Gene willing to paddle in a group with me again?

Cheers!

Ty

"Maybe those who went together on this trip should get together for a beer, dinner, walk in the park, etc... and debrief. A face to face discussion is almost always easier and more helpful than discussions in cyber space."

Hey how about we all go out on another paddle!!!? Wait.... :thinking: on second thought maybe we should just go out for a beer. We'll be sure to use the bathroom in pairs. ;)

Hey Heidi, where did you get that cool little toilet monster from?! I want one for my post!

Ross

Hey Heidi, where did you get that cool little toilet monster from?! I want one for my post!

Ross

I've added it to our list of available clickable emoticons.

I've added it to our list of available clickable emoticons.

Excellent! Looks like the club is back to its normal important and pressing issues.

Ross

(Not to say the past few days issues were'nt important also)

Am I allowed to go on any future trips with you guys? Is Gene willing to paddle in a group with me again?

Cheers!

Ty

Well as to the first question, I'm taking Flomax so I don't think I'll need too many bathroom trips. As to the second, sure I've no problem with paddling with any of you guys-I'll just bring a chart-EPIRG-inflatable raft-6 day supply of water and food and Gillian.

Oh yes, I'm getting charts. Yesterday three of us are out in Salem Sound for a mellow three hour paddle. We're heading back from Beverly and one of us who has been paddling these waters for more than a decade asks "Where is House Island?" All we can see is Misery and Ram. After a few more miles House which is behind and to the left of our view of Misery can be seen. Before it merged with Misery and looked like part of the same land mass. This happens all the time from the perspective of being two feet off the water. It's even more confusing around Essex and Ipswich with low tide and sand bars.

Well as to the first question, I'm taking Flomax so I don't think I'll need too many bathroom trips. As to the second, sure I've no problem with paddling with any of you guys-I'll just bring a chart-EPIRG-inflatable raft-6 day supply of water and food and Gillian.

hahahaha excellent! you bring me, i'll bring kevin, and we can both get a nice leisurly tow back to shore . . . :)

Cheers!

Ty

Ty I didn't know what ROTFLMAO meant so I googled it and got the Urban Dictionary. Sorry brother but this is what came up....

3. ROTFLMAO

A chatroom abbreviation used mainly by imbeciles, usually in response to something mildly, often very mildly, amusing. People who use this type of shorthand should be avoided like the Spanish flu.

I would've married her, but I found out that she goes into chatrooms and uses shorthand like LOL and ROTFLMAO. Therefore, I broke off our engagement and changed the locks to my apartment.

I'll really have to think hard about any future trips with you. :kayak-surfer:

No seriously, I look forward to paddling with you again :rolleyes:

Ross