"Off" season gym work

Phil Allen

With my paddling time becoming very limited I've reluctantly returned to the gym. Does anybody have a good workout recommendation so that I can start paddling again next spring in better shape. For motivation, I'm considering training for something like the blackburn next summer. And for those of you who think the season never ends, I'm good with that. But daylight, weather and work responsibilities definitely cut back on my paddling opportunities in the winter months.

Thanks.

Phil

With my paddling time becoming very limited I've reluctantly returned to the gym. Does anybody have a good workout recommendation so that I can start paddling again next spring in better shape. For motivation, I'm considering training for something like the blackburn next summer. And for those of you who think the season never ends, I'm good with that. But daylight, weather and work responsibilities definitely cut back on my paddling opportunities in the winter months.

Thanks.

Phil

Swimming! Before I had started paddling I was a cyclist who after the long winter layoff found it hard to start up again in the spring. When I began swimming in the winter months, the first few days of cycling in the spring no longer had difficulty for me. I know the same is true for paddling. Swimming provides aerobic as well as general muscle tone workouts. while weights and nautilus provides anerobic activity they do little for endurance training. If you do elect to do weight training make sure to balance it with time on a treadmill, bike or similar. The other thing which for me is crucial is stretches which I do year round. There is a good book "Fit to Paddle" which has a lot of good stretches specific to paddling.

Thanks.

Phil

Regularly taking Pilates classes made a huge difference for my paddling - gives you strong core and oblique muscles which increases endurance and helps with moving the boat around. Don't be fooled by the fact that you do the whole class laying down - it's agony! Florrie

...these folks seem pretty fit.

http://www.navysealteams.com/warning.htm

Had a chance to paddle with someone who had been a Seal at least ten years ago and now has an office sort of job. Still impressively lean and fit physically and mentally still had that ready for whatever confidence that some mistake for fearlessness.

me? i like to lift heavy things ..

Which is a good thing ....how heavy is that big black beast by now?

Ed Lawson

Who does not make snide comments on weight of NDKs given a 62# AA in his basement.

I run masters track - 800m/400m during the indoor track season, yoga, weights. I swam a bunch last year, but I got tired of seeing the same band-aid at the bottom of the pool go by for an entire hour. Still, swimming is a great form of exercise, if I could only figure out a way to make it less boring.

Thanks.

Phil

Find Leslie Beale - she is the queen of core body training [it's getting scary] and she's been hard to keep up with of late.

Karen

Anybody with tendonitis in the wrists or elbows related to paddling, consider working off-season on wrist curls, forward and reverse. Start with a very low weight and work up gradually to a lot of reps, like 75-100, before increasing the weight.

If you get pain, rest until it goes away, and use low enough weight and reps so that it does not persistently return. A little soreness at first is normal, but if it does not go away, stop. Likewise, if it seems to irritate your tendonitis, wait until that pain has subsided from lack of paddling. (That's why this is good to start off-season. But after getting going, you can continue right through paddling season to maintain the effect.)

No guarantees, but this has completely fixed two or three forms of wrist, arm and elbow pain for me over the years, pain that was threatening my paddling career. So it seems like there's a chance it will work for you.

--David.

Find Leslie Beale - she is the queen of core body training [it's getting scary] and she's been hard to keep up with of late.

Karen

I hear you. Dave Lewis, Leslie and I did a 20 miler out of Gloucester this summer and until she chose to slow down a tad I thought it was going to be a solo trip :rolleyes:

Phil

I've been swimming for many years and recently dropped my b-ball night for a second swim. I concur with the boredom but appreciate that I'm in and out of the Y in an hour, complete with chlorine shredding sauna, in an hour. As far as paddling, its great for stamina but I'm not sure compatible it is otherwise if doing the "crawl" or "freestyle" stroke most of learned first. You are moving your upper torso in the opposite direction and (at least I was trained to) finishing under the body rather than behind. You can, however, develop torso rotation.

Adam posted some things that can be done with a medicine ball, something you could make, e.g. out of a duffle bag and rags, if it seems expensive to buy.

A sound conditioning program consists of strength training; cardiovascular endurance training; and flexibility exercise to achieve balanced physical fitness. There are many ways of doing this and you can use lots of different tools to achieve it, but in a broad sense this three-pronged program is the foundation for any sport. There are no short-cuts and doing it only partially opens the door for injury. Consistency of workouts with gradual loading of weight/intensity will prove invaluable in the spring.

Your question is generating a lot of ideas -- one more, at least if we have another good snowy winter, is XC skiing. I got into paddling in large part due to recommendations from competitive XC skiers that it is good cross-training, so it would make sense that the cross-training effects would work in reverse as well. I have no doubt that paddling is going to enable me to carry over much more core/upper body strength and endurance into the ski season than usual, but given that this was my first season of paddling, will have to wait and see if it again carries over into the spring.

I also agree with those advocating swimming, it also really works the core and upper body, even if the movements differ from paddling (arguably a good thing to round out the musculature and avoid over-use/over-development). Personally, I find the post-swim "endorphin glow" the best of any sport, which keeps me getting up to get to the pool these dark Saturday mornings! One way to make it more interesting is to join a masters' swimming class, being in a group and doing structured workouts instead of endless laps makes it much more enjoyable and probably gives better results. I think almost any pool will have such a group, so ask around.

Good luck with your program, let us know what you end up doing.