Cold water workshop

spuglisi

Just got back from the cold water workshop. Thanks to Liz for generously opening her home to us all. Thanks to Suz and Scott for the great presentations and thanks to everyone else who helped make the time in the water a safe and valuable experience. And, of course, thanks to everyone for the great food.

All in all, a great day and it was nice to meet some new people. Hope to see everyone out on the water.

This was a great workshop with extremely knowledgeable instructors and of course a gracious host. I was especially impressed with Suz and Scott's preparedness when they paddle in all conditions. As Suz suggested it would be of great benefit to all if a full list of what to bring along for all types of situations could be posted. I'm sure some of you have taken much thought and effort producing a complete checklist that could be shared with all of us. As Suz opened up bag after bag of goodies she takes along I was simply blown away. Extra clothing, repair supplies, emergency gear, etc. Some things were common sense but many items I never would have thought of prior to the clinic. Please share your thoughts. This should be interesting......

Doug

Thanks so much Liz for opening your home to us for this great workshop! I came away with a lot of useful knowledge on gear and safety as well as making a few new friends. It was great to have such well experienced paddlers like Sue and Scott pass this information on to us in such an awesome setting, and then first hand, see what it was like to actually get into the water and experience it for myself. Thanks to all who made this possible, I can't wait for the pool sessions to begin!!!

Hal B.

Thanks to Liz, Suz, And Scott for all the input about cold water paddling. More new gear to pick up to keep the saftey margins on our side. I didn't see Suz boat, but it must be around 30' or so to fit her extensive wadrobe and gear in. Good people, good food, Great Day. Thanks

Glenn.

I'd like to add my sincere thanks for Suz, Scott C., and Liz for holding the workshop, it was terrific -- I'm just hoping I can decipher all of my notes and take in the wealth of new information! As a new member, I'm very impressed by the depth/breadth of knowledge in the club, and equally by everyone's openness to share it (e.g., Deb taking time with me on the water). I look forward to paddling with you soon (as soon as I get real forward flotation bags and/or a seaworthy craft, that is). -- Scott L.

This is off-topic, but I spoke to several of you at the workshop about my struggle with Thorasic Outlet Syndrome, which I've been trying to treat with exercises learned from a bout of Repetitive Strain (I had P.T. and O.T. about ten years ago). Obviously I should get an updated round of P.T (most likely), but a couple of you had suggestions which I never got the full gist of. If you see this and feel like sharing, I'd be most appreciative. You can email me here or nancysan at comcast dot net. Thanks much.

Nancy

This is off-topic, but I spoke to several of you at the workshop about my struggle with Thorasic Outlet Syndrome, which I've been trying to treat with exercises learned from a bout of Repetitive Strain (I had P.T. and O.T. about ten years ago). Obviously I should get an updated round of P.T (most likely), but a couple of you had suggestions which I never got the full gist of. If you see this and feel like sharing, I'd be most appreciative. You can email me here or nancysan at comcast dot net. Thanks much.

Nancy

Get to a good Physical Therapist. I was misdiagnosed with carpal tunnel and then asked the surgeon for a referral to a PT. Instead, we worked on all those little knots that were causing pressure on the nerves and my numbness/tingling is all gone.

The knots develop from "holding" the muscle tensed for long periods. Or perhaps paddling with a Nordkapp for awhile:)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thoracic-...ECTION=symptoms

Anyway - my favorite thing for those little knots in your back/shoulder that you can't rub your self is to put two tennis balls in a tube sock, knot both sides and then stand against a wall and put the tennis balls behind you. Allow them to roll over the knots in your back and the pressure helps to break them up. If hurts but feels really good. Do this a few times a day until you can get rid of the knots.

Suz

Anyway - my favorite thing for those little knots in your back/shoulder that you can't rub your self is to put two tennis balls in a tube sock, knot both sides and then stand against a wall and put the tennis balls behind you. Allow them to roll over the knots in your back and the pressure helps to break them up. If hurts but feels really good. Do this a few times a day until you can get rid of the knots.

Suz

I agree, except I use one tennis ball and roll around on the floor - with the ball between the floor and my back. More pressure can be applied on the knots and you can get pretty good at positioning the ball.

Suz and Scott, I'd like to thank you both for an informative and excellent workshop. It far exceeded my expectations and those were pretty high. I actually wished the water had been colder, but a lot of anxious concerns have been eased.

To all others who enjoyed the hospitality of Liz: Thanks for the kindredship and great food!

Larry

I agree, except I use one tennis ball and roll around on the floor - with the ball between the floor and my back. More pressure can be applied on the knots and you can get pretty good at positioning the ball.

Suz and Scott, I'd like to thank you both for an informative and excellent workshop. It far exceeded my expectations and those were pretty high. I actually wished the water had been colder, but a lot of anxious concerns have been eased.

To all others who enjoyed the hospitality of Liz: Thanks for the kindredship and great food!

Larry

Suz and Larry, thanks for the tips. Guess I need to get some tennis balls and hid them from my crazy dog. :HAHApound:

Nancy

Check out the following link to the Trigger Point Therapy book and the Theracane. The Theracane allows you to get to almost any part of your body that needs massage to loosen tight muscles or what is often more responsible myofascial tissue. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_3_9?u...refix=theracane

Just wanted to add my thanks to Liz and Suz and Scott-and to everyone else who came to Cold Water workshop- it was a terrific day - I had a blast! Thanks also Su for the pictures. And to all you surfers who want to play off Nahant beach or King's Beach in Swampscott this winter and would like stop in Nahant for hot tea and to warm up - you are very welcome to stop in- just email me- gtblueheron@hotmail.com. Very much looking forward to seeing everyone again! Katharine