Tasmanian to Australia crossing!

Gcosloy

"To become the first ever expedition to kayak from Australia to New Zealand" -- which is exactly why I find it so incredible!

(By the way: that other expedition around Madagascar has evidently been called off at roughly the halfway point -- Simon Osborne and his buddy Phil)

(By the way: that other expedition around Madagascar has evidently been called off at roughly the halfway point -- Simon Osborne and his buddy Phil)

in reading the boy's exploits/blog it looks as if "called off" isn't exactly correct sir.

they're done the first half (roughly) and will finish up in the next go. looks like the're about hitting the goal they set for themselves.

quite an adventure, i'm greener than that deck with envy.

they're done the first half (roughly) and will finish up in the next go.

I guess everyone has to stop and make a living every now and then.

Doing these big loops in stages over a couple of years seems to be the way to get them done.

That is how they did the one in Japan and it is how Mark Schoon and Jeff Allen plan on the Norway/Finland loop.

quite an adventure, i'm greener than that deck with envy.

Well, its time to use all that training so just do it.

Easier said than done I suppose, but who knows till you go for it.

Ed Lawson

I guess everyone has to stop and make a living every now and then.

Doing these big loops in stages over a couple of years seems to be the way to get them done.

That is how they did the one in Japan and it is how Mark Schoon and Jeff Allen plan on the Norway/Finland loop.

Well, its time to use all that training so just do it.

Easier said than done I suppose, but who knows till you go for it.

Ed Lawson

huh...in real life that conversation starts with "honey, i've thought about it and here's what i'd like to do" and then ends shortly thereafter with "no."

in your head, does that conversation go differntly and what color are the unicorns there? are they pretty?

then ends shortly thereafter with "no."

Boy, are you a fortunate soul. Still talking, being polite, no objects in motion. Seriously, it takes a certain personality to go off on expeditions, especially climbing ones where the risks are much higher, when there is a family to leave. For the true hard core, they are not living if not on the sharp end regularly and those close to them have to learn to accept it since life just does not work without that "fix" which involves knowingly endangering life for it and separation from those who care. For the rest of us its hard enough just bargaining a week or so from time to time for a relatively safe journey.

And no, rehearsing the conversation in my head does not seem to alter the outcome after which it is stars not unicorns I see. However, they are of many wonderful colors.

Ed Lawson

Boy, are you a fortunate soul. Still talking, being polite, no objects in motion. Seriously, it takes a certain personality to go off on expeditions, especially climbing ones where the risks are much higher, when there is a family to leave. For the true hard core, they are not living if not on the sharp end regularly and those close to them have to learn to accept it since life just does not work without that "fix" which involves knowingly endangering life for it and separation from those who care. For the rest of us its hard enough just bargaining a week or so from time to time for a relatively safe journey.

And no, rehearsing the conversation in my head does not seem to alter the outcome after which it is stars not unicorns I see. However, they are of many wonderful colors.

Ed Lawson

we've probably all had journeys that result in personal shifts in the paradigm...there are 2 that i want sooo bad they're both kinda just squatting in the background but i'm too poor in time and money to pull them off...let alone the time for the logistics and training on top of it all...if i get the time/money thing sorted out, i think my captain my captain will be on board...we both want each other to be happy and i think she realizes a little bit of boat wanderlust (and a just a touch of "crazy" to keep things lively) dwells in there somewhere.

"in reading the boy's exploits/blog it looks as if "called off" isn't exactly correct sir.

"they're done the first half (roughly) and will finish up in the next go. looks like the're about hitting the goal they set for themselves"

Ricks, I did understand that from their website; but (I must apologise in advance) to me, the point of a circumnavigation or expedition such as this, in part, is exactly to test ones endurance -- if one stops and takes a break in the middle, one is not accomplishing that. Simple en klaar! Whilst I have enormous admiration for Simon (he is one of the two or three coolest paddlers I have met!), I did wonder at outset whether they had bitten off too much and wrote thus to Suzanne. Madagascar is one <enormous> piece of real estate -- isn't it the biggest island in the world (perhaps you might say Greenland, but that one is almost continental)?

Nothing from Simon's reputation: I simply think that an expedition should be accomplished in one fell-swoop!

PS: Ed, please tell about Mark's plan for Scandinavia (you never mentioned Sweden; but that comes between Finland and Norway, unless...)

I have not talked to him personally so I don't know much about it in terms of specifics or route. All I know is that he and Jeff Allen are planning to go up the Atlantic side of Norway sometime this year, then in 2009 they go back and paddle/haul the boats along/through Finland to reach the Gulf of Bothnia from which they paddle the coast of Finland to get back to Denmark. Sounds to be a grand adventure.

Ed Lawson

"in reading the boy's exploits/blog it looks as if "called off" isn't exactly correct sir.

"they're done the first half (roughly) and will finish up in the next go. looks like the're about hitting the goal they set for themselves"

Ricks, I did understand that from their website; but (I must apologise in advance) to me, the point of a circumnavigation or expedition such as this, in part, is exactly to test ones endurance -- if one stops and takes a break in the middle, one is not accomplishing that. Simple en klaar! Whilst I have enormous admiration for Simon (he is one of the two or three coolest paddlers I have met!), I did wonder at outset whether they had bitten off too much and wrote thus to Suzanne. Madagascar is one <enormous> piece of real estate -- isn't it the biggest island in the world (perhaps you might say Greenland, but that one is almost continental)?

Nothing from Simon's reputation: I simply think that an expedition should be accomplished in one fell-swoop!

seems as if from reading the blog, they are accomplishing what they set out to do...read the jan update.

to me, paddling half and half like this would be a pretty impressive accomplishment despite your thinking it's not well done if not done in one as it were...i'd imagine that the gents do have restraints on their time...not the least of which is that odious money thing? don't know...their trip, their logistics.

didn't jeff allen and haddas do a similar thing on a trip around japan?

seems as if from reading the blog, they are accomplishing what they set out to do...read the jan update.

to me, paddling half and half like this would be a pretty impressive accomplishment despite your thinking it's not well done if not done in one as it were...i'd imagine that the gents do have restraints on their time...not the least of which is that odious money thing? don't know...their trip, their logistics.

didn't jeff allen and haddas do a similar thing on a trip around japan?

They had visa issues that they could only be in country x days(I think 180) then out of country for some time before returning for x days again.

-Jason

Hi folks

Thanks for the interest in our Scandinavia expedition. The latest is that I'm going to head straight from the Sweetwater Symposium on Feb 25th and fly to England to meet Jeff in Falmouth. My boat (a new Force 5!) should be there with my gear already. We'll pack, maybe paddle a day or two in Cornwall, then head to Goteborg, Sweden then be on the water by March 1st following the coast all the way (with luck!) to the the top of Norway near the Russian border. That will be 2008.

In 2009, we'll pick-up where we left off hauling the boats across artic Norway and Finland, putting in on the Bay of Bothnia, paddling down the Finnish coast, crossing just before the Baltic Sea over to Sweden, then back around to Goteborg.

It's been exciting preparing for this adventure! and in a month, I'll be on the way for the biggest challenge I've tried.

There's a good page about our adventure at http://www.seakayakingcornwall.com/norway2008.html We'll also have a satellite phone and hope to be able to blog along the way.

Now for the shameless plug! Jeff will be here for the 3rd Downeast Seakayaking Symposium (guess what at least one of the slide shows will be!) so for 1st hand war-stories, come and join us in September.

In all seriousness, thanks to NSPN for all the support you've given Mel and I over the years. All of that has been preparation and catalyst for this adventure. I literally couldn't have done this without the kindness and support from folks like you.

Mark

PS: Ed, please tell about Mark's plan for Scandinavia (you never mentioned Sweden; but that comes between Finland and Norway, unless...)

Wow! Very cool!

Send photos! Hope you can keep the web page updated with photos and updates for all of us who will be following your trip from our homes.

Gay

Hi folks

Thanks for the interest in our Scandinavia expedition. The latest is that I'm going to head straight from the Sweetwater Symposium on Feb 25th and fly to England to meet Jeff in Falmouth. My boat (a new Force 5!) should be there with my gear already. We'll pack, maybe paddle a day or two in Cornwall, then head to Goteborg, Sweden then be on the water by March 1st following the coast all the way (with luck!) to the the top of Norway near the Russian border. That will be 2008.

In 2009, we'll pick-up where we left off hauling the boats across artic Norway and Finland, putting in on the Bay of Bothnia, paddling down the Finnish coast, crossing just before the Baltic Sea over to Sweden, then back around to Goteborg.

It's been exciting preparing for this adventure! and in a month, I'll be on the way for the biggest challenge I've tried.

There's a good page about our adventure at http://www.seakayakingcornwall.com/norway2008.html We'll also have a satellite phone and hope to be able to blog along the way.

Now for the shameless plug! Jeff will be here for the 3rd Downeast Seakayaking Symposium (guess what at least one of the slide shows will be!) so for 1st hand war-stories, come and join us in September.

In all seriousness, thanks to NSPN for all the support you've given Mel and I over the years. All of that has been preparation and catalyst for this adventure. I literally couldn't have done this without the kindness and support from folks like you.

Mark

that link doesn't work for me ...any other way to check it out..? (the original one at the top of the page)

also

who was that guy who drowned, not such along time ago, about 30 miles from Austrialia after making a long crossing ?

Was that a New Zealand to Austrialia crossing he was trying for ?

that link doesn't work for me ...any other way to check it out..? (the original one at the top of the page)

also

who was that guy who drowned, not such along time ago, about 30 miles from Austrialia after making a long crossing ?

Was that a New Zealand to Austrialia crossing he was trying for ?

Andrew McCauley died attempting the Australia to Tasmin crossing. He was 65 k from his destination when he fell asleep and disappeared.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/extrem...2338537939.html

In all seriousness, thanks to NSPN for all the support you've given Mel and I over the years.

In all seriousness, I think we owe you a great deal as well for putting on a Symposium in the heart of a great paddling area. Not only is the Symposium great, but one can take a few extra days and paddle in some great places within a hour's drive such as Stonington and the Great Wass. Let alone the Porcupines and Cranberry's.

Nice touch adding the classes on boat repair. Adds to the reputation.

Ed Lawson