Fall Club Paddle & Party at Winter Island Park, 50 Island Rd. Salem MA Saturday 10/21/23

Sue H.

Sorry, I missed the deadline!  

I would really like to paddle and do the after schmooze.  Please let me know if a place opens up.  

Edited by glad
Addition

On 10/17/2023 at 9:49 AM, glad said:

Sorry, I missed the deadline!  

I would really like to paddle and do the after schmooze.  Please let me know if a place opens up.  

@gladif @Sue H.agrees, you can have my spot Karen. 

My back and piriformus are too upset this week for me to drive that far much less paddle that long.

Hi Bill, sorry to hear of your struggles and will be missed.  I had added Karen already if you want to come just for the party portion.  Best, Sue

Welp- hate to bail on the paddle but every time I look at the forecast it deteriorates.  It went from "Showers" to "RAIN RAIN RAIN" from 8 am - 8 pm. 

Susan R and I are carpooling from the southern lands

so we will forego the paddle but SEE YOU AT THE PARTY at 4:00!

?  ?

I’m looking forward to the party and the chance to see everyone.  I do want to say a few things about the paddle and conditions tomorrow, which I am also looking forward to!

Paddling doesn’t have to be a fair weather thing only. Rain isn’t dangerous by itself and it can be quite enjoyable once you’re on the water- you’re already dressed to be wet! Lightning is dangerous, but I have not found any mention of thunderstorms in any forecast. Regardless, we can and will check radar and will not be going far from shore. As far as wind and waves: there may be some easterly winds (blowing us towards the shore) and chop early in the day but these aren’t currently expected to be very strong; we can always stay in the most protected end of the sound. The real weather event tomorrow is the cold front, which the weather models now agree should arrive tomorrow night, long after we are off the water.

All of this is to encourage folks who have doubts to come to the paddle with their boats and an open attitude that with some prudence and common sense, fun is possible - maybe even likely - in New England fall weather! If the forecasts are right, this may be a chance to enjoy a different kind of paddle than the perfect summer’s day.  And if the forecasts are wrong, we can think of some other fun to have together.

Whatever the sky and ocean bring, I hope to see you tomorrow morning!

j

15 minutes ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

I’m looking forward to the party and the chance to see everyone.  I do want to say a few things about the paddle and conditions tomorrow, which I am also looking forward to!

Paddling doesn’t have to be a fair weather thing only. Rain isn’t dangerous by itself and it can be quite enjoyable once you’re on the water- you’re already dressed to be wet! Lightning is dangerous, but I have not found any mention of thunderstorms in any forecast. Regardless, we can and will check radar and will not be going far from shore. As far as wind and waves: there may be some easterly winds (blowing us towards the shore) and chop early in the day but these aren’t currently expected to be very strong; we can always stay in the most protected end of the sound. The real weather event tomorrow is the cold front, which the weather models now agree should arrive tomorrow night, long after we are off the water.

All of this is to encourage folks who have doubts to come to the paddle with their boats and an open attitude that with some prudence and common sense, fun is possible - maybe even likely - in New England fall weather! If the forecasts are right, this may be a chance to enjoy a different kind of paddle than the perfect summer’s day.  And if the forecasts are wrong, we can think of some other fun to have together.

Whatever the sky and ocean bring, I hope to see you tomorrow morning!

j

Good words Joe. See you there. 

“… an open attitude that with some prudence and common sense fun is possible…”

You'll have to make do with just open attitude and common sense bc I'm up in Maine and won't be able to join you…?

Prudence

Edited by prudenceb

It was great seeing old friends and meeting new people at the party last night! What a nice to begin to wrap up the 2023 season. (Still hoping for a few more paddles.?)

Thanks so much to Sue and the committee for coordinating everything!