Making an NDK Explorer cockpit work

DM2787

Hi I tried an older NDK Explorer model over the weekend with and found the cockpit's thigh grips too tight was on my legs.

I'm 5'8, 180 and so the rest of the boat fit and felt great--sitting nicely in the water and really having a great sense of balance--but it seems like the factory seat, which was a bit more forward than I would have liked, raised my legs up enough that there was no space between them and the thigh grips.

The seller recommended taking out the seat but of course I would have to do that after I purchase the kayak and so wondered how others with thick thighs have handled this? Do most just opt for a Surf or an Explorer HV? It seems like if took out seat I would gain an inch or two in height and could likely move the seat back two or three inches too

I like the extra speed that comes with the Explorers (I find I sometimes reach the max speed in a Romany too quickly) and so wasn't sure if it was worth trying to figure out how to make the Explorer cockpit work a bit better or perhaps look for a different boat? 

I have an almost new Romany Surf in 50:50 layup for sale if you decide to go that route!  I'm 5'10” and weight less than you but have wider hips I'm sure.  I've paddled Explorer on expeditions and found the cockpit very tight.  The Surf is much more comfortable and holds almost as much gear as the Explorer!

Prudence

Edited by prudenceb

I suggest thinking carefully before moving the seat that far back.  Likely to make a noticeable change in how the boat handles.  As Jim suggests, Tom would be a very good resource in determining whether the Explorer could be made to fit well by reasonable efforts or, as Pru suggests, a different boat is the better solution.  My prejudiced view is best to find a boat that basically feels right and tweak with outfitting as opposed to making drastic changes/outfitting in an attempt to make an ill fitting boat work. 

DM2787, I am about the same height and weight as you and I also paddle an Explorer. My Explorer has a stock seat. I have not experienced the same issue, with with the thigh grips, as you describe. I find the Explorer to be a pretty good fit. How do you compare in size to the seller? Is there already minicell foam glued in for a more customized fit? If there seller has built up the thigh braces with foam for a custom fit this should be an easy fix. Remove or shave down the foam. If that is not the case I would second the comments mentioned above. Tom Bergh with Maine Island Kayak is an expert on boat fit and always happy to help. If nothing else works, then this is not the right boat for you.

Plenty of good advice above. Never judge a boat by how someone else has outfitted the cockpit. It is easy to remove the foam (and save) for a demo.

When outfitting a boat I will have various configurations of thigh pads and use duct tape to hold them until I get them correct before I glue them in. Fit and feel are an individual thing.

Do not move the seat back to get your thighs comfy as it will create more problems. I like my homemade foam seats but I am larger. With a 34" inseam at 215#"s I find my Explorer the most comfortable boat ever.  Can't speak to the Surf but Tom at MIKCO would get the best fit possible for your body boat combo.

Thanks to everyone for all of this wise and sound advice. The prior owner I believe was slighter than me but we removed all the foam he had added. I'm not sure if maybe the seat was raised up a little bit; it was a factory seat and I think glassed in, though now not entirely sure about this. It could also be that older Explorers have a slightly tighter fit -- since it sounds like several of you are about same size and don't really have any problems with the thigh grips. 

With a regular Romany, I've found I fit, though a little tightly, with a thinner foam seat but it maybe my thighs (or posterior) might be generous enough that I should look to try out a Surf and pad it out a little bit if need be.

Curious how Surfs handle in comparison to regular Romany and with Explorers -- especially for someone around my weight. I occasionally do interval training and so have found I sometimes top out the hull speed on the regular Romany, creating a pretty sizable bow wake, but of course when doing any longer trips or in rough water this wouldn't really be an issue. 

IMHO, compared to an Explorer, a Surf feels tubby but more maneuverable. It's also at least a 1/2 knot slower than the Explorer with comparable effort. Handier in very shorrt confused chop, but harder to surf downwind and in larger tideraces.