New Year's Day Paddle 2017 - Postponed to Monday!

rfolster

New Year's Day is on a Sunday, and I am looking for interest in a North Shore paddle (Salem - Portsmouth area).  Weather will be a factor, without a doubt, so need to be flexible on location and route, possibly even considering a one-way trip with vehicle shuttling.  Drysuits will be required.  This will be a CAM trip, so leadership might be shared, and trip parameters will be set to try to accommodate the group as a whole as best as possible.  Post interest here, and will finalize trip details as the NOAA forecast becomes available.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to get a possible picture of the weather for Sunday: Partly sunny, with highs in the low 40's, west wind around 10 knots with gusts up to 20 knots.  Seas will be between 2' (in northern MA) to 4' (in NH) subsiding to 1'-2' during the day, but with a period of only 5 seconds, it will be a bit of a roll-coaster ride.

The tide will be rising most of the day, with a high around 1-2pm depending on where you look.  This will mean a low-tide launch, and most likely a wind-against-tide situation for those areas that have some current, since most of our coast line presents current in a westerly direction on a rising tide.

My concerns for a coastal journey are that the choppy seas increase the likely hood of an incident, and the off-shore winds increase the potential for an incident-management situation to get blown offshore.  Although these two factors would normally not be an overwhelming concern for me, the wind-chill will make it feel like it is below freezing all day, so making sure people stay warm will be a top priority.

From a strictly safety standpoint, a trip from the north side of Cape Ann to Essex Bay or Plum Island Sound and back would be the safest and easiest coastal.  A west-bound round trip from Gloucester might be possible, but a northerly aspect in the afternoon to the overall westerly wind might need to be considered.  We could also look at more protected inland paddling such as Odiorne to Peirce Island.

I am open to suggestions.  We have a total of 13 who have posted interest, including several leaders, so we have options of doing two groups, and maybe even two completely separate trips.  Let's discuss.

Rob, for your suggested north side of Cape Ann launch, what spot are you specifically thinking of?  I know I always enjoy Odiorne, so would be happy to start there.

As for numbers of paddlers, I doubt 13 will show up, but even if so, I would vote for staying as one group.  It's kind of a festive and special way for our paddling club to start the New Year, so I'd like us to be together.  If the group consists of people with differing levels of comfort in conditions, I suggest the most protected area we can find so all can enjoy sharing this day together!

pru

North side of Cape Ann usually seems to mean Lanes Cove.  A paddle from there to Essex Bay or outside Crane's could be quite pleasant.

Another possibility for shelter is Salem Sound.  Could launch from West Beach, since it's out of season.  Disadvantage is a bit of seaweed, but hasn't been too bad lately...could walk down the beach to avoid.  Advantage is that our house is five minutes away, and we could host a feast afterwards if there's interest.

Personally I vote for closer to Boston rather than further, since I have to be back in Waltham by 5 pm (hope this is possible!) Mike, unfortunately this means I would miss your feast invite :(    I have a previous commitment at another feast...

Alas, I will not be able to join the paddle. Just moved in to a new place beginning two days before Christmas and am still in bins and boxes. Enjoy and I will see everyone in January's meeting.

dave

What would people think of paddling the southern tip of Cape Ann from Good Harbor Beach to State Fort Park in Gloucester Harbor and back?  The worst part of the trip will be paddling into the wind for about a mile across Gloucester Harbor before lunch at State Fort Park, but that same stretch will be a really nice down-wind ride after lunch. Good Harbor Beach is closed for the winter, but I think we can park along Nautilus Road next to the stream at the southwest end of the beach, and access using the foot bridge.  I can call Gloucester police tomorrow to confirm.  It will be a little bit of a carry over the bridge and down to the water for a near-low tide launch, but less of a carry at a near-high tide return.  I don't know how much protection we will get along this southeast stretch of the Cape Ann coastline, but I think it would be better than paddling along an east-west coast line with no protection.  Thoughts?