Reading glasses on the water

David M

Has anyone seen any creative approaches to reading charts on the water, especially in conditions? Distance vision is good, but up close not so much. I need 250 magnification. I have magnifiers in my sunglasses (mini-bifocal) courtesy of LL Bean, but they are not practical for limited visibility or night nav. I have also used the clic glasses that hang around your neck and join at the nose-clip with magnets, but have now lost two while rolling and practicing rescues.

I have some non prescription bifocal sunglasses as well as some clear, bifocal safety glasses. I rarely wear them on the water though. I just don't seem to be able to get used to wearing them. I do keep a cheap pair of drug store reading glasses in an accessible pfd pocket. It's not ideal but it's the best I've been able to come up with.

It seems that David has tried all the "recommended" solutions. There really is no ideal solution. I do use a pair of old prescription or readers but put them on a croakie/tether. Much less likely to lose them. BUT, the downside is that there usually end up being too many tethers between, hats, sunglasses and the readers. Sometimes it is easier to go with a wide brim helmet, skip the sunglasses and have small glasses that allow you to do distance over the lens and down the nose at the chart.

I have used the card reader as Brian suggested but primarily as an addition to the above when the old glasses/readers were just not enough - mainly at night. Usually it just takes too long to pull them out. I suppose you could put a hole through a corner and tether to your map case. that might make it a bit easier. I usually have my protractor also tethered to the map case (but most people don't use it on the water...) so I wouldn't want to tether that too.

I have sunglasses with interchangeable lenses for a variety of light conditions. The sunglasses lenses are not prescription, however the frames hold a prescription insert that sits behind the sunglass lenses. In my case this is a bifocal and works well for distance and close up chart work. I then coat all the lenses with "sea drops", which is an anti- fog for diving masks. I have a retaining strap that holds the glasses in place and does not interfere with wearing a hat or helmet. Never lost glasses with a roll or wet exit.

David, I'll show them to you this weekend.

I think someone needs to print charts in the LARGE PRINT VERSION.

Also GPS's with a super large screen. :unsure:

Just to be a contrarian, consider the ways you could reasonably wander about without needing to closely review a chart while on the water. As in working on specific navigations details while ashore, writing notes large enough to read while traveling, memorizing chart in area of travel, and squinting to help focus when all else fails.

Loss of near vision due to age is a nuisance not doubt about it and simple solutions elusive is it seems to me. I guess that is why I think of having a vague idea of position an adventure as opposed to being lost. Not sure that is a reasonable adaption; it definitely is not a solution.

Ed Lawson