Winter Kayak Camping?

BethS

I used an Exped down pad on a trip to the northern peninsula of Newfoundland last May/June, which, because of the latitude and time of year, was essentially a winter kayak camping trip.The down Exped pad, when inflated , most definitely did the job, (I slept well at night in harsh conditions) but that years model had an atrocious inflation system which required way too much time and effort, , so i resorted to blowing it up by mouth , a "no-no" with down pads as it introduces moisture into the interior of the pad . But it just took too long and I was finding that inflating and deflating the pad was taking up a huge chunk of my allotted get- ready/ break camp /set up camp time .
I returned the exped pad: fortunately I had got it at REI which has a no -questions- asked rerun policy for the first year.

Most definitely, a well perfornhg sleeping pad is essential. I had a malfunction on a summer trip resulting in a deflated air mattress and sleeping on the ground for 1 1/2 nights, and that was uncomfortable. That was in the summer: in the winter that could have way bigger consequences.

Doesn' the Exped come with a Schnozzel?

The Schnozzle, which is a 40liter sil-nylon "dry bag" with inflation nozzle, does not automatically come with any bed but must be purchased separately, along with a nozzle adaptor for many pad models. However, it is extremely useful for inflating the ExPed beds, especially the larger sizes.

I have been using a thermarest all season for a few years now. it compacts very small , mabe to the size of a nalgene bottle.

I've used it in the single digits in the whites with good results. I think its like 2.5 inches thick inflated with an r value of around 5.

I also bring half a thermarest z lite (the ones that fold up like an accordion) like has been said above, works really great as a camp mat, chair ect.

Also ups your insulation value for your core when you layer it under your primary mattress.

The all season doesn't use down, it uses reflective foil inside (i think like space blanket material) so I just blow it up by mouth.

I have not had any bad results from doing this - mold ect. The latest iteration comes with a mini battery powered air pump.

-Dave

The Schnozzle, which is a 40liter sil-nylon "dry bag" with inflation nozzle, does not automatically come with any bed but must be purchased separately, along with a nozzle adaptor for many pad models. However, it is extremely useful for inflating the ExPed beds, especially the larger sizes.

Exped DownMat XP 9 comes with included- in- price Schnozzle at REI

Part of the reason that I enjoyed it may have to do with having taken this class many years ago:

http://www.hbbostonamc.org/index.php/Table/Winter/

It is geared towards hiking/backpacking in winter, but the tips on comfortable winter camping and just operating in the cold with comfort and ease are truly excellent info for anyone. I highly recommend it.

I second Beth's endorsement of the AMC winter hiking school. it's an excellent stepping stone towards doing it in the wet. I confess I shudder when I see basic discussions of sleeping pads in a winter kayak camping forum.

I use a thermarest closed cell foam pad in the bottom of my cockpit for winter paddling to help keep my legs from feeling the cold coming through the hull. It's cut to fit perfectly between the forward edge of my seat and the front bulkhead. I'd probably use it for winter kayak-camping by placing it between my ground cloth and tent floor, just under my inflatable pad ( or inside the tent if I could get it dry enough). It's also just long enough to fit into my trekker chair. So, I'd get to use it for 3 different things without having it take up any room in a hatch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that the cold water workshop is coming up, if you have not already taken this I highly recommend it, even if you don't decide to go winter kayak camping! The water is cold in the spring too remember...

Edited by BethS