Odiorne it will be, Sunday, November 9

prudenceb

L3+ trip from Odiorne along coast to Wallis Sands/Rye Harbor. Marine forecast four days out calling for winds and seas diminishing from previous days. Dry suits required. Opportunity for rock play, altho my healing thumb and I will take a pass on that. This trip is mostly an opportunity to get out, see buddies, and have what I hope will be a calm paddle. Final go/no go decision on Saturday am.

Beach briefing 10 am. Launch by 10:30. Off water mid afternoon. PPPO?

Could those of you who haven't yet sent me float plan info pls PM it to me.

Look forward to seeing all of you!

pru

Pru, I have not been there recently, but there is a chance that the state park launch at Odiorne is closed for the season. Is this where you were thinking of launching? There is a small launch across the creek from it, but it will only accommodate 3 - 4 cars. Pierce Island launch is open all year. Thoughts?

I was worrying about this earlier and looked on line and found nothing. I even left a message at the regional Seacoast office of the NH parks. I will call police in Rye Beach tmrw to see what they can tell me. Stay tuned! We can always switch if we need to.

pru

The weather gods may be throwing a curve ball at my desire for a mellow paddle (if I may use a metaphor that makes little sense). As of now, forecast for Sunday is calling for SW winds 10-15 gusting to 20+ with seas 3+. This may make playing around in Little Harbor less of a pain than going out and fighting wind outside the breakwater. What are peoples' thoughts? Options range from on one extreme cancelling the paddle to going ahead but being prepared to either stay in more protected water inside the jetty to finding another venue. My extreme desire to get out on the water be ausenI've been shorebound for so long should not be the determining factor!

Weather has been known to change, and NOAA has been known to be wrong. I'm prepared to wait til midday tmrw to make decision.

Please weigh in here.

pru

I'm interested in paddling but have been looking at the strong wind forecasts for the past few days as well. I'd like to join you but won't make the drive over to paddle unless we paddle where it's more protected or the forecast does suddenly change.

My definition of a mellow paddle may be more flexible than most. Any short to medium paddle in below SCA conditions sounds mellow to me. :th_bf-hurrismileypalm:

That said, the Jaffrey Point, NH station predicts high tide sixteen minutes after noon. That is nearly perfect for riding the flood under the Wentworth bridge in the morning, and riding the ebb under the bridge in the afternoon. Which is the classic "bad weather" option for Odiorne.

I'm happy waiting until Sunday morning's beach briefing to decide which choice we make. However, to coax those wanting an extremely mellow paddle out, we could commit now to having at least one pod stay inside, with the option of sending a second pod outside if there are enough bodies and there is enough interest Sunday morning.

Since I'm considering joining this paddle, I will chime in on the weather based on current forecasts. While I might be totally irresponsible and reckless, it seems to me the land forecast is for WSW winds up to @10MPH . I seriously doubt such winds, even increased over near shore waters, can amount to more than 10-15 KTs and the resulting dominant wind waves much over 1.5 feet if that. The Cape Elizabeth to Merrimack River forecast provides mariners a conservative estimate of the maximum conditions they might encounter up to 25 NMs off shore. So while things might be brisk out there, that does not reflect what they will be near shore. If we were talking about a NE wind, then different matter.

I see no big weather issue for wandering down the coast line from Odiorne although that slog back after the breakwater is likely to be a pain as it always it. Pru posted the trip as a level 3+ which I assume means conditions can be expected to be near the maximum for an L3 paddle as opposed to just over the limits for an L2 paddle. Based on current forecasts, seems to me that is exactly what it will be and should be a nice day for any L3 paddler or any L2 paddler wanting to stretch their experience level for that mater.

Ed Lawson

Who really, really hates that slog back.