Fortune Bay, Newfoundland: A Love Letter

kate

Kate,

I very much enjoyed reading your trip report. There is great clarity to your decision making. I can see where that skill serves you well. I particularly enjoyed your paragraph which discussed how rolling skills should be incorporated into your safety planning. I share that perspective.

Interestingly, prior to completing my Alaska trip I always read your trip reports feeling I do not completely feel and understand all the unique aspects of longer trips in remote locations. Now I understand.

What struck me the most were the many similarities and differences with our journeys. Travel logistics, bear safety, bug management, water collection, tidal range concerns, camp site selection, geology, bald eagles, storm beach, dramatic landscapes, tarp, go-to knots and storm surge.

I also very much enjoyed your discussion on gear. As we know, a trip is not all about gear. However, the wrong selection can be annoying at best. Of course, when your selection is spot-on you smile. I sense you experienced many smiles during your trip.

Warren

Edited by Warren

Warren, thanks for your comments. It does become richer as we gain a breadth of experience with both remote camping and kayaking. So you are building up your own bank of knowledge. Digging into that bank is part of what I really enjoy about these trips, recognizing what I've gained over the years of kayak-camping, using it for this new location and situation. And of course there's always an unexpected new learning experience to assimilate....

Unfortunately I can't offer you much in the way of how leadership skills were developed on this trip, which I believe is a current interest for you. Anarchy reigned. We navigated on the whim of a moment. :)

k

I tried to edit the original post to add what I would be deeply remiss to leave out:

special thanks to Phil Allen, for loaning me his SPOT device (again!); to Suz Hutchinson for giving me last-minute assistance with dry suit gasket replacement (truly above and beyond the call, to the point of offering me a loaner if needed); and to my dear husband Mark for not hesitating a moment before telling me, "Wow, I think that will be a great trip. Go do it!" while he stayed home and took care of things there.

No trip is truly a solo trip.

Kate,

You mentioned seeing otters. Were they sea or river otters or both? See any Puffins or seals?

By the way, one of the paddling buddies in Alaska wore the same socks and loved them. He only had one pair of paddling shoes for both water and land and it worked very well. Like yourself, he had dry happy feet.

Warren

Kate, just as you were justifiable sorry when your trip had ended I was sorry when my reading of your report had ended. Your report is not just a beautiful personal document but an inspiration for others. Multi day camping by kayak is something that I have reservations about, particularly because of the amount of energy necessary to set up and take down camp each and everyday. However after finishing your report and viewing your awesome photos of a magical place I must paraphrase Shakespeare's Henry the fifth, that we who stayed in our beds the days that you paddled Fortune Bay, Newfoundland shall feel ourselves cursed that we did not join you.

Kate,

You mentioned seeing otters. Were they sea or river otters or both? See any Puffins or seals?

By the way, one of the paddling buddies in Alaska wore the same socks and loved them. He only had one pair of paddling shoes for both water and land and it worked very well. Like yourself, he had dry happy feet.

Warren

I believe they were river otters, which it seems are around in large numbers in that part of Newfoundland. No puffins, I don't think they are in that part of the world. I saw 2 seals, which is two more than I've seen anywhere else while paddling in Newfoundland. I suspect the fishermen "discourage" them....

Kate, just as you were justifiable sorry when your trip had ended I was sorry when my reading of your report had ended. Your report is not just a beautiful personal document but an inspiration for others. Multi day camping by kayak is something that I have reservations about, particularly because of the amount of energy necessary to set up and take down camp each and everyday. However after finishing your report and viewing your awesome photos of a magical place I must paraphrase Shakespeare's Henry the fifth, that we who stayed in our beds the days that you paddled Fortune Bay, Newfoundland shall feel ourselves cursed that we did not join you.

I could not ask for a better tribute. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading the report. I wonder if it would be worth trying one short trip to see if energy levels are a problem. If you are part of a group, the division of labor might make it less onerous.

k

As always, your trips are an inspiration and your reports a joy to read. Newfoundland is an amazing paddling destination and the beauty and majesty found there make me wonder why I am even considering going somewhere else when the whole of the island still needs to be paddled...

Kate, what an amazing adventure! You did a fabulous trip report and the photos are breathtaking. Do you mind if I ask what camera you use? Also, if you like to read you should check out The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx. It is set in Newfoundland and the author incorporates the harsh beauty of the island into her story, along with a band of fictional local, quirky characters.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Shari

Thank you, Shari. I'm so glad you enjoyed the report. I have read Shipping News (and seen the movie) - that was shot on the north central coast, if I recall correctlly.

I use 3 cameras: a Canon 20D dslr for pre- and post-trip photos (it stays in the car during the kayaking); a Canon G7 which travels in an Otter Box on the kayak deck, for land-based photos; and a Panasonic Lumix waterproof camera which travels in the deck bag for on-water use.

Kate