tow belt

Shari G

Josko -

Tow line length is dependent upon the conditions you are going to be towing...since that changes, your preference might change. I think speaking in absolutes isn't very useful in this case. I don't know that there is AN "ideal"

I've been thankful for a full 50 feet of line only once...big swellies (8-ish feet? It was a real long time ago) rolling through with a paddler on tow who was unable to do much. I was mostly glad that they were farther behind me and so the longer line posed less risk of them surfing into me. They were generally in a totally different wavelength...it wasn't terrible comfortable but it got the job done.

That was one time in a stretch of years of paddling. So a rarity, but I was happy at the time.

Other than that 30 odd feet has proven to be more than sufficient but I don't see the issue in carrying more line and then just daisying it to a shorter length depending upon the day.

Edited by rick stoehrer

Hmm, I just found a “theoretical” disadvantage to a coaming tow system. The author thinks that the tug from a towed kayak could separate the coaming from the hull of a kayak. I think that that’s extremely unlikely. Perhaps it’s no more likely than a deck mounted tow line pulling loose from the deck.

But I could be wrong. Any comments?

-Leon

I just purchased the NRS Pro Kayak tow line. http://www.nrs.com/product/18291/nrs-pro-kayak-tow-line

What I like about it is a line with built in stretch-no additional bungee required-a large bag for stuffing and the option of moving the bag about 90degrees on the belt so you can have the bag in front and the quick release nearby as well.

On another subject: why the need to daisy chain to shorten the tow line? How about tying a loop say 20' and connecting the loop to a carbiner and the end of the line attachement secured in the bag. 20' should be ideal for short tows away from coastal rocks and if a longer tow is needed, then release the loop from the biner and voila-50' feet is available. Can you see a problem with this method?

I just purchased the NRS Pro Kayak tow line. http://www.nrs.com/product/18291/nrs-pro-kayak-tow-line

What I like about it is a line with built in stretch-no additional bungee required-a large bag for stuffing and the option of moving the bag about 90degrees on the belt so you can have the bag in front and the quick release nearby as well.

On another subject: why the need to daisy chain to shorten the tow line? How about tying a loop say 20' and connecting the loop to a carbiner and the end of the line attachement secured in the bag. 20' should be ideal for short tows away from coastal rocks and if a longer tow is needed, then release the loop from the biner and voila-50' feet is available. Can you see a problem with this method?

You will end up with all of the rest of the line in the water getting grabbed on rocks or just getting in the way. It's been tried and seems to cause issues most of the tme.

You will end up with all of the rest of the line in the water getting grabbed on rocks or just getting in the way. It's been tried and seems to cause issues most of the tme.

I can see your point! However if one closes the flap on the bag after the shorter portion has been deployed the rest of the line should remain in the bag. It is one more thing to remember to do however and in a dramatic situation could be overlooked.

<Just out of curiosity. Has anyone really needed a 50' tow rope in NE waters...>

Affirmative (as RickS mentioned above!)

I have an old and modified Salamander Keelhauler (or whatever it was called) and it is still in good condition and has two lines -- one short; one long. I bought it from NE Small Craft aeons ago.

Edited by Pintail

Hmm, I just found a “theoretical” disadvantage to a coaming tow system. The author thinks that the tug from a towed kayak could separate the coaming from the hull of a kayak. I think that that’s extremely unlikely. Perhaps it’s no more likely than a deck mounted tow line pulling loose from the deck.

But I could be wrong. Any comments?

-Leon

Hi Leon-

Like with all things, it depends. There's a story from CRCK about a nervous client ripping off the coaming of a boat doing their first wet exit. So a large force and a light weight boat might be a problem.

As to the coaming versus deck versus waist versus pfd systems, I'd say it all comes down to how fast you can deploy and stow it. One thing if you're in open water and have to tow a tired person home a few miles, another if you have to stop a rescue from being swept out to sea in a tidal current.

best

Phil

Thanks, Phil,

I did some Googling around regarding coaming separation. It looks like the separation is caused by vertical up forces; however, that’s how I usually carry my kayak short distances and I’ve never had a problem in 20 years.

The coaming type tow line pulls backward on the front of the coaming so there’s very little vertical force. Of course, in very rough and bouncy conditions that might not be true.

Now I’m wondering whether my coaming tow line is robust enough for all conditions.

Ugh!

-Leon

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone really needed a 50' tow rope in NE waters or is less than 35 ' more than adequate length of towing a fellow kayaker nearly all of the time in the conditions that prevail here?

Perhaps yes. Take a look at this calm water video where I was just following a friend with a camera. Waves can sneak up on you.

-Leon

Thanks, Phil,

I did some Googling around regarding coaming separation. It looks like the separation is caused by vertical up forces; however, that’s how I usually carry my kayak short distances and I’ve never had a problem in 20 years.

The coaming type tow line pulls backward on the front of the coaming so there’s very little vertical force. Of course, in very rough and bouncy conditions that might not be true.

Now I’m wondering whether my coaming tow line is robust enough for all conditions.

Ugh!

-Leon

My first tow set was a north waters coaming tow and was far from fast to deploy, having the tow so slow on the boat causes it to get caught on my stern and effects my directional control. Having the tow on my waist (just another 4-6" taller) makes a world of difference.

I have done a lot of towing and other than doing an inline tow of a boston whaler in a following sea I haven't had any discomfort from my North Water Seatac tow setup.

My first tow set was a north waters coaming tow and was far from fast to deploy, having the tow so slow on the boat causes it to get caught on my stern and effects my directional control. Having the tow on my waist (just another 4-6" taller) makes a world of difference.

I have done a lot of towing and other than doing an inline tow of a boston whaler in a following sea I haven't had any discomfort from my North Water Seatac tow setup.

>> My first tow set was a north waters coaming tow and was far from fast to deploy

Agreed, but you can reduce the setup time with practice. But it will never be as "fast" as a waist or PFD system.

>> having the tow so slow on the boat causes it to get caught on my stern and effects my directional control.

Yes, but that’s also true for deck mounted towing systems, isn’t it?

For long tows of, say, a tired or injured paddler, the discomfort can be a big deal. I towed someone almost half way around the Cape Ann loop using my coaming system. I doubt that I could have done it with a waist or PFD mounted system.

So many tradeoffs!

I have a standard issue NRS towline that I've modified by putting a different carabiner on it. I still have to get around to doing the whipping/shrink wrapping thing. Every time I look at it, I think "damn…have to get on it". Mine is daisy chained, except when I unhook it and get too lazy to re-daisy chain it.

One of the non-practice tows I've done was off of Little Cranberry Island. A couple in a bullseye sailboat were waving frantically at me. I paddled over - it turns out their boom was broken and they were stranded. They asked me for a tow into the Isleford Harbor. I don't know the precise number, but bullseye's have something close to 1000 pounds in the keel, which make them ideal for first time sailors, but they're quite something to tow with a kayak. In any case, the folks were happy for the tow and rewarded me with a gift certificate to the local pottery shop in Islesford. FWIW, I let out the daisy-chain for the tow, as I didn't want to be too close to the bullseye. You never know what you might need one for.

Another non-practice tow was similar - I pulled in another couple across the surf line in a Sunfish, also with a broken boom. Again, I let out the daisy chain, as I didn't want to be too close to them in the surf.

I've had a look at the new Northwater Dynamic Tow Pro, and it seems to work well. I think it's well designed and the price is great.

I could be wrong, but I think Northwater may not be making the Sea Tec Pro (the burrito-bag style tow that's been popular with coaches around here) for retail anymore. So if you're thinking about getting one, you may want to grab the stock that's still in local stores.

Nate

I've had a look at the new Northwater Dynamic Tow Pro, and it seems to work well. I think it's well designed and the price is great.

I could be wrong, but I think Northwater may not be making the Sea Tec Pro (the burrito-bag style tow that's been popular with coaches around here) for retail anymore. So if you're thinking about getting one, you may want to grab the stock that's still in local stores.

Nate

They are still making them, I know that one can still order them. I like ordering them as you can get them as you would want them. I recently ordered one without the carabiner (I have a carabiner that I like better), flap for the deck mount tow setup and without the bungie. I think that it's just about what your local retailers are stocking.

Shari- you can order from any full service retail North Water dealer. Harder to do through REI...

Sea Cliff Kayakers

Charles River

Kittery Trading Post

Email me for further details