tow belt

Shari G

I'm looking for a suggestion on a tow belt... possibly the Northwater Quick Release Tow or Sea Tech Tow Line (although it only extends to 35 ft).

Oddly, I am also having NO luck finding a location or link to purchase the Northwater QR Tow . CRCK seems to have the Sea Tech model.

Have also heard about an NRS model.

The tow belt is for my general use on the ocean. I would like it to offer a long and shorter tow option.

Thanks!

is this the quickrelease you're looking for: http://www.outdoorplay.com/North-Water-Quick-Release-Sea-Link-Kayak-Tow-Line?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla

Looks like it only goes to 15ft.

I have this NRS - and feel the bag opening is just a tad too small to work with when trying to stuff back in quickly: http://www.nrs.com/product/1829/nrs-kayak-tow-line

But overall, I'm happy with the belt quality and compactness. They do make a pro model with a larger opening: http://www.outdoorplay.com/Pro-Kayak-Tow-Line?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla

North Water just came out with a New! Improved! model, the Dynamic Sea Tow Pro. I got one, and it seems pretty clever. Bag rolls open, easy to stuff, bungee is away from the biner so it doesn't snag. Info on North Water site and there's a YouTube video also (I can't figure out how to paste a link here). I'll have it with me if you want to check it out.

I love the Sea Tech Tow, you can order it with a 50' tow and without the deck mount flap. I ordered my new one without the carabiner as I rather a different type.

Like Jason, I like the "burrito bag" of the NW sea tech pro. I've really simplified the working end by removing the float and bungie and connecting the line to the carabiner via a quickdraw and hog rings (Thanks Rick S. for the idea) covered with tape. Many words to describe but a small, simple connection without the bulk of knots.

best

Phil

I also have the North Water Sea Tech Pro tow system, and am in the (long) process of making my own modifications, including removing the float, which I am reconsidering. The carabiner attachment is also looking to be modified with a stitching/whipping/shrink-tubing method that Todd Wright showed us. Basically, you run the rope through the carabiner eye-hole and fold the rope back onto itself for about two inches. You then stitch the to layers of rope together, maybe about six stitches. Next, use whipping thread to make a tight wrap the entire length of the folded rope. Finally, cover the two layers of rope with about three inches of special tubing that shrinks when heated with a hot hair dryer or a special "heat gun". This is very similar to Phil's version, and provides a much smoother surface, but probably more work.

If I ever get around to doing all of that, I will take photos of the process and post them. In the mean time, you can find the Sea Tech Pro system at REI. The Reading store shows it in stock. Not cheap at $125, but well worth the extra money over other systems I have seen.

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone really needed a 50' tow rope in NE waters or is less than 35 ' more than adequate length of towing a fellow kayaker nearly all of the time in the conditions that prevail here?

Ed Lawsonj

What do I know? Not much.

Ed, not speaking from experience, but the idea for a longer tow rope is primarily for rough conditions where a towed boat could be surfed into the tower. I agree with you that a 35' rope is adequate for the conditions that most paddlers will be in, but there are some that will either seek out more "adventurous" waters, or may want to be prepared if they should find themselves in bigger waters than expected. After all, isn't that a high probability scenario for the need to tow someone? Unless future experience teaches me otherwise, I will stick with my 35' for now.

Phil:

What is the advantage/purpose of the quick draw link as opposed to connecting the rope directly to the carabiner?

I can conceptualize how that might be better when clipping through a second boat alongside the towee, but then anyone can conceptualize anything, but that does not mean it relates well to the reality of doing anything.

Ed Lawson

Who, oddly, owns and has used hog ring pliers.

At the risk of starting another NSPN brouhaha allow me to put in a plug about the coaming type of tow line instead of tow belts. Here’s the one I’ve used for many years.

Pros:

• The tug is on the cockpit coaming instead of your body.
  • Has the advantage of a deck mounted system without giving up portability (you don’t have to drill holes in your deck).
  • Quick release works very well.
  • Great for long-distance towing.
  • No! It doesn’t slip off the coaming as some have warned me about. I confirmed this by testing it out on dry land; also, I've used it successfully in real combat conditions about a dozen times.

Cons:

• It’s long. I daisy chained the line to reduce the length from 50ft to 25ft. I’d like it even shorter.
  • It takes a little longer to deploy than a belt mounted system.
  • It’s not good for throwing.
  • It’s hard to repack in rough water. Not sure if it's harder than belt mounted systems, though.

-Leon

Hi Ed

The quick drawl was quite nice when I had a knot connecting the line. Now with the smaller connection using the hog rings it mostly serves to minimize any sliding of the biner so the gate stays appropriately placed. It is easier to release when towing two boats as well.

Best

Phil

havent seen jeffs tow rig and i am sure its more than adequate...to play devils advocate...you can daisy a line to make your long line a short tow....and you can throw your belt like a throw bag...keep the biner end and throw the actual bag...swimmer could then use belt to attach for tow. they would have quick release end and you'd have scissors or knife for qr on yours.

also throwing a bag from a boat is hard...you dont get any distance really...hunters used atlatyls (sp?) to increase distance of harpoon/spear throws...could you/should you use paddle split in same way? never tried that one...

havent seen jeffs tow rig and i am sure its more than adequate...to play devils advocate...you can daisy a line to make your long line a short tow....and you can throw your belt like a throw bag...keep the biner end and throw the actual bag...swimmer could then use belt to attach for tow. they would have quick release end and you'd have scissors or knife for qr on yours.

also throwing a bag from a boat is hard...you dont get any distance really...hunters used atlatyls (sp?) to increase distance of harpoon/spear throws...could you/should you use paddle split in same way? never tried that one...

I always use a woomera to increase the distance when throwing a throw-bag (or whatever). It’s like an atlatl, but more suitable for wing paddles. :haha:

Edited by leong

tshirt cannon from sporting event would be better but it comes down to storage issue.

if folks are considering a throw bag then they oughta be aware of the limitations of same from the seat of boat...and that 50 feet of line is about less than 3 boat lengths.

I have the Northwater Seatec tow belt. Its chief attributes are the "burrito" bag design and the big mouth on the bag that the line stows in .

A big part of towing is dealing with / stowing the tow line when you're finished using it.

Bring able to get the line back in the bag quickly while underway is important to me , and this tow belt works very well for that.