Downeast Paddle Retreat, Sept. 5-8, Mount Desert Island

PeterB

Downeast Paddle Retreat; Mount Desert Island

September 5-8.

Rob Hazard, Ed Lawson and I are planning an NSPN kayak gathering in Mount Desert island on the weekend after Labor Day, the days of Sept. 5-8.

Mount Desert Island in early/mid September is a splendid kayaking & vacation spot ,with great paddling opportunities. For several years there was a Downeast Symposium on that weekend that we all attended . We had an idea of a kayak retreat with something of the mood of this event; not a professionial training event but rather a gathering of paddlers in a great location at the best time of year

Ed , Rob , Barb , and I have all paddled in the area and are knowledgeable about it, and we are prepared for a paddling schedule of two trips a day, based on group size , skill level and interest.

The most popular venues include the Porcupines, (a chain of Islands right off of Bar Harbor with all sorts of paddling options, from rocks and ledges to just scenic touring), the Cranberry Islands on the south end of the island, and Bartlett Island and Sound on west side of the island.

post-100369-0-82107400-1401921961_thumb.

post-100369-0-06689300-1401924713_thumb.

L2 , or crummy day options include Long Lake, Eagle Lake, Long Pond and Pretty Marsh Sound

post-100369-0-67491500-1401922255_thumb.

post-100369-0-92990800-1401923842_thumb.

If skill level and interest allows, a more adventurous trip out to Egg Rock and Ironbound Island iis possible.

post-100369-0-33906100-1401924666_thumb. post-100369-0-52241000-1401966972_thumb.

post-100369-0-23455500-1401924680_thumb.

paddling schedule will be developed based on the group , but could look something like this:

Friday Sept. 5

L3: Cranberry Islands

L3-4: Porcupine islands

L2 : Long Pond, Echo or Eagle Lake, Pretty Marsh area near Bartlett Sound

Saturday Sept. 6

L3-4 Porcupine Islands

L3 Seal Cove and Bartlett Island

L2 : Long Pond, Echo or Eagle Lake, Pretty Marsh area

Sunday Sept. 7

L3 Porcupine Islands

L4 Ironbound Island and Egg Rock

L2 : Long Pond, Echo or Eagle Lake, Pretty Marsh area

Monday Sept. 8th

L4 Sullivan Falls,(group permitting) an awesome inland tidal area on the Sullivan River about 40 minutes north of Bar Harbor , a great spot for practice in eddies, currents and standing waves, If group management and skill level permits, options for a safe and fun session here are possible.

post-100369-0-47455000-1401966939_thumb.

Options for accommodations range from cottages near Hadley Point, the Hadley Point campground or other campgrounds and accomodations around the island.

It's also a full moon, so a night paddle through the Porcupines is inevitable!

This event is posted in the calendar. Please RSVP in the calendar posting or send a PM PeterB with questions, interest. We'll develop an information sheet with details on the event and the area, to share with RSVPs as plans develop .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter and All,

I am interested, but could not arrive until Friday pm and would have to leave late afternoon on Sunday. Is there anyone else coming that would have the same restrictions? I may be able to get Monday off from work so I could have that extra day or possibly the Friday instead.

Looking forward to hearing from other folks,

Sue

Peter, Rob, and Ed --

Sounds like a perfect early fall trip. I'm definitely interested. Put me down on the "Hopefully" list.

Blaine

The day's/dates seems to be off. Friday seems to be ok. Sat is missing and you have two Monday's the 2nd Monday being 9/8 which works for this year. You might want to clarify the post.

Jason:

It appears to me the dates are correct while the days are a bit jumbled. In any event, the possible paddling routes for Friday through Monday are there for folks to consider. Obviously what trips are done will depend upon many factors some of which will not be known until the day or two before if not the day of.

Ed Lawson

I fixed the dates in both the posting and in the calendar. Thanks for noticing!

to clarify: dates are:

Friday Sept. 5
Saturday Sept 6

Sunday Sept. 7

Monday Sept 8

Go to Sept. 5th in the calendar for the Calendar posting.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am very interested in the trip. I have done it a couple of years ago some of these islands and it was a great. However I may also be restricted as Sue meaning I can arrive there Friday night and leave Sunday pm. Thanks

Rog

Regarding accommodations: they're are on your own, and there are many options on Mount Desert Island, from simple campgrounds and motels to very upscale inns and hotels.

A handful of us have gotten cabins/rooms at the Llangolin Inn/Cottage resort for this weekend , in the Hadley Point area of Mt. Desert Island. So its likely that the Hadley Point area will be our center of operations. There is a Hadley Point campground almost next door to Llangolin. Also the Rose Eden cottages across the road. Not far away is the Robbins (?) motel, which is probably the cheapest on the island, something like $45 /night : Rooms are clean but bare-bones.I stayed there a few times and found it suitable for someone like me, out- and -about all day and looking only for a comfortable and clean-enough place to sleep at night.

There's a Bar Harbor motel near the ferry terminal (not far from Hadley Point, maybe 1.5 miles) thats just fine and in the middle -of -the- road motel price range for that area.
There are also very nice campgrounds a bit further away. Mt. Desert Campground at the head of Somes Sound is very nice , as is Blackwoods Campground in the Natl. Park. Blackwoods , I think, is first come first served, Mt. Desert is by reservation and very popular due to how nice it is.

Possibly cheaper accomodations off the island, in Ellsworth or Trenton, but then its a bit of a longer drive each day to where the paddling is.

• 3 weeks later...

I am staying at the Hadley's Point campground on Sept 4-7; there is room at my site #42 for one more tent/car (max 2 tents/4 people/2 cars per site) if anyone is interested, PM me and let me know. I think they have lot of other sites available as well for tenting.

That's great Beth,

I think we;ll see if either the grounds of the Llangolan Inn (cottages are set in a vast open grassy area) or the adjacent Hadley Point Campground, is a suitable meeting area. we'll want to meet as a group at least once time a day for sorting out trips ,either early morning or, better yet, , a little bit before dinner, 5-6-ish.

After Labor Day, accommodations are much easier to find , even at shorter notice,but it still is a busy time of year on Mt. Desert Island, lots of tourist activity still, so it would still be prudent to reserve accommodations in advance.

Peter

Yes, I had no problem getting a reservation for camping, I think there are still spots available if anyone else is planning to tent, and i'm happy to share my site as well.

I'm changing my rsvp to definite.

Blaine