Downeast Paddle Retreat, Sept. 5-8, Mount Desert Island

PeterB

Thinking about this. Did Porcupines a few years back, paddled solo up there too. Would love to explore more in the area. I've camped at Hadley before, so might do that. Will confirm as soon as I can.

Betsy and I will be there, staying at the Llangolan. The innkeeper mentioned that there are dog agility trials that weekend at the Hadley Point campground...should be good amusement. Might keep the bears away from Warren's tent too.

I am in!

Staying at the Bar Harbor/Oceanside KOA.

Will bring my bear hang gear to protect the food from the bears!

Arriving after work on Thursday, then paddling on Friday and Saturday only. Driving home on Sunday. Work obligations dictate this arrangement.

Warren

Looking forward to this trip!

I reserved a campsite at Hadley's Point campground (site #41, the one next to Beth's) Sep 4-7. The site could acomodate one more car, one more tent, ad up to 3 more ppl. Please let me know if you would like to share the camp site.

- Robin

Some info participants may find helpful.

Decent charts of the area are Maptech Chart 42 and Waterproof Chart #105.

The area marine forecasts are from NOAA in Caribou. Which forecast to follow is an open question.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/displayprod.php?product=PWMCWFCAR&versions=10

There are two NOAA WX VHF stations which cover the area. The one in Jonesboro (CH 5) is marine info only while the one in Ellsworth (Ch2) is both land and marine.

Both are powerful stations with great coverage in the area.

Keep in mind is the water temps will be a max of @55 and will likely feel a bit chilly for those who have been paddling on the North Shore.

This book has a good deal of info about MDI in additions to paddling suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/Kayakers-Guide-Mount-Desert-Island/dp/0892723807

Ed Lawson

Hi Everyone,

I'll be joining you, arriving late Thursday pm, staying at the Llangolan Inn and leaving after our Sunday paddle. Looking forward to it!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

I've sent out a contact list for this Retreat by email to all participants :people who have rsvp'd or posted their interest or con acted me directly)

If you you plan on attending and I don't have your contact information and you have not received an email from me., please contact me by PM.

Peter