rylevine

2014 NSPN Solstice Paddle
Saturday June 21st Riverhead Beach Marblehead, MA

L3 Pod

led by:
Bob Levine

Beach Briefing at 9:30am
Launch at 10:00am

Most likely we will head out to Bakers Island. More information to follow as we get closer to the date. There will also be L2 and L2+ pods from the same put-in. These have been announced on this forum.

Please post below if you are interested in joining the L3 pod.

Bob

Bakers Island is a small, private residential island and access to the island is limited to residents and their guests. Unless it’s for an emergency, it’s in really bad taste to land there. This is especially true with a large group. There’s nothing to gain from annoying the landowners there and a lot to lose for the reputation of the paddling community. Enjoy the view from your cockpit and then head to Little Misery Island if you want to go ashore nearby.

-Leon

PS
Although it would be an exiting rock landing, I don’t think you can get CG permission to land near the automated lighthouse on the northern tip of Bakers Island.

i will try to make it as well - should be fun and the gear is almost de-funked after Scotland...camping trip postponed so it's time to otherwise get wet again!

I agree with Leon in regards to leaving private islands, PRIVATE; poor taste to land....you don't belong and it's nunya bizness being there. Emergencies trump all but otherwise, leave it alone. Miseries and gooseberries are a short hop away.

Et tu Leon,

You have also become a literalist; perhaps too much time in Florida? Rick, you repeat yourself-your views on this subject are well known! I can only say that my post about a haul out on Bakers was "tongue in cheek" and I suspect Mike's post was also to invoke humor. Don't you guys get it?

Nope, didn't get the joke.

Given where some of us have landed and the photo's that have popped up of our traipsing about private property, I didn't "get" this joke at all and am relieved to hear that we aren't proposing that landing as a course of action.

Also glad to hear that my views on private property aren't ambiguous!

I can only say that my post about a haul out on Bakers was "tongue in cheek" and I suspect Mike's post was also to invoke humor. Don't you guys get it?

Actually, I did get the joke. Nevertheless, (perhaps?) not everyone reading the thread knows that Bakers Island is private land. Think of my post as a public service announcement with the objective of raising awareness about landing there (even though I did once and know better now).

La propriété, c'est le vol. Usually translated as "property is theft". Attributed to the French nihilist Proudhon. While I'm somewhat sympathetic to this view, particularly when it comes to beach frontage I do respect the property of others and stay within the legal boundaries as established by the Massachusetts Bay Colony circa 16?? Ah tradition!