NSPN Solstice Paddle L3 Trip: Saturday June 21 Marblehead Harbor

rylevine

As Shari pointed out, Bob is returning from a camping trip and should have an update for the group tonight or tomorrow as he indicated in the original post. My guess would be that paddling "to Bakers" might just mean the general area around Bakers, for which there are many islands to play around, and maybe some options for lunch. In the mean time, is anyone bothering to familiarize themselves with the tides and weather for the general area?

Time Tide

653 9.3

1101 0.6

1924 10

2232 0.1

Forecast

Partly Cloudy, low to mid 70's, F 2-3 winds swing NW-W-SW in afternoon. Sunset 2025

Stellwagen water temps is about 61F. Dev beach has a surf forecast of under a foot with a 11-12s period.

...ie, pleasant, flat day...launching and landing mid tide.

Edited by rick stoehrer

I agree with Leon and Rick. We can land on the Gooseberries and/or Misery like in previous years.

Looks like calm conditions tomorrow, so we can follow the traditional route through Childrens (crossing the M'head channel) - Cormorant Rk gap, then out to Gooseberries, possibly Dry Breakers (although should avoid if seals are present - as likely), around Bakers, and Misery for lunch. Details can be sorted out depending on interests. Given the numbers it is a good idea to break up into 2 or so pods; each following a similar route or endpoint at lunch. In previous years we've had a separate pod go over to donate gel coat to the dry breakers. There will be plenty of rocks around as we will be out there at low tide (see Rick's posting). Doug is running an alternative L3-L3+ trip probably with less distance, more action in rock gardens, and possibly the beach at Devereux. That is an option for people as well. Here is the forecast for tomorrow.

http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/massachusettsMarineDay.php#tabs

The Salem Ferry is running. Here is the schedule for tomorrow.

Saturday

Departs Salem - 8 AM, 10:30 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM & 8 PM

Departs Boston - 9:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 2:30 PM, 5:30 PM, & 9 PM

It usually arrives to the M'head channel about 45 minutes after departing Boston. We may end up briefly waiting for it to pass at M'head tip on the way out, and then keep an eye for it coming in at 3:15.

See everyone tomorrow morning at 9:30, Riverhead.

Bob

I'd like to join the one of the L3 pods. I just twisted my ankle so a little extra help getting my boat to and from the water would be very welcome.

See you all tomorrow unless my foot takes a turn for the worst.

Karen

Hi fellow level 3-ers,

It seems probable that I will be demo-ing a new boat tomorrow ~ so I ask for patience, maybe even a little more than I usually require :-)

See you soon,

Katherine

I'd like to join the one of the L3 pods. I just twisted my ankle so a little extra help getting my boat to and from the water would be very welcome.

See you all tomorrow unless my foot takes a turn for the worst.

Karen

Make sure to ice it and rest tonight - hopefully it will feel better tomorrow. There will be plenty of us there, and I can definitely vouch for the generosity of the members of NSPN when it come to help carrying boats!

So... I seem to have two boats on my car, neither of which are mine. Anyone on the L3 interested in paddling one in the AM & the other one after lunch? They are an Anas Acuta and a Nordkapp LV. Oh, and, both are for sale.

So... I seem to have two boats on my car, neither of which are mine. Anyone on the L3 interested in paddling one in the AM & the other one after lunch? They are an Anas Acuta and a Nordkapp LV. Oh, and, both are for sale.

I've always wanted to try out an Anas Acuta, I'll be bringing my standard yellow Nord LV, you could definitely talk me into doing a switch midday.