Reminder: Workshops for Participating in Club Trips start this Sunday

scamlin

Just a reminder that the first workshop of the annual club training for 2014 will be this Sunday, March 23 at 11:00-4:30. You must RSVP to the course leader Scott Camlin to register for these CAM workshops (see below).

This training is intended for club members who want to go on club trips. It will also give you the basic tools and skills to plan and go on your own trips. The goal is to prepare you to be knowledgeable and ready to fully participate on club trips.

See the calendar listing and the posting on the NSPN Events message board for more details.

Who is it for? What do we cover?

Classroom Sessions

March 23 and April 6.

The two classroom sessions are for anyone.

We explain the club's trip level and equipment guidelines. Most of the sessions involve practice planning trips, reading charts (maps), forecasting wind and water conditions and preparing for the unexpected. You will be given your own trip planning assignment to complete for the second classroom session. In addition, we discuss the Common Adventure Model (CAM) that the club uses for trips.

The classroom session is interactive: group discussion and hands-on practice in small groups.

On-Water Sessions

May 18 and June 1

The two on-water sessions are for paddlers able to paddle in Level 3 conditions. (Level 2 paddlers ready to move to Level 3 can consider an on-water session. If you are not sure, come to the classroom session or contact the course leader for more information).

We will cover boat handling, rescues and tows, as well as moving and working together as a group during a trip. We also practice various scenarios such as crossing active shipping channels, rough water rescues, launching and landing in difficult enviornments and incident management. We do not cover basic paddling skills and assume you can control your boat in Level 3 conditions.

The workshops are a collaborative forum where participants ask questions, share their knowledge and learn together. Experienced club members organize and lead the workshop.

Scott Camlin

scamlin at restructassoc dot com

Edited by scamlin

I'd love to come but I can't make the first session this Sunday, however I can do the other days. Would this be OK for me to come to the other 3 sessions? (I do have some kayak trip planning experience already, so I'm not totally starting from zero...) I am a level 3 paddler, some rescue experience.

Beth