Kayak Signaling Devices

David M

I was given a laser flare for my birthday, it seems like a nice alternative, as I am not likely to loose a finger/hand. If you look on youtube, you can see some flare launches from kayaks going very wrong.

with the K.I.S.S principal in mind, I like whistles, signaling mirror, strobe and laser flare (along with VHF and cell phone). I'm uneasy with the idea of explosives strapped to my body (reminiscent of bad movie plots).

best

Phil

My personal kit, in priority order:

1. VHF radio with DSC and integrated GPS.
  2. Personal Locator Beacon
  3. Cell Phone
  4. Whistle
  5. Strobe (SOLAS preferred).
  6. Signal Mirror
  7. SOLAS hand flare (not a Coast Guard hand flare) quantity 3.

My personal assumption is that one of the first devices will normally be used to inform someone that I need help. The later devices are in my mind primarily to help a searcher actually find me once they get within a fraction of a mile. Though in theory all seven devices can be used to inform someone that you need help.

Note that SOLAS standards are generally much higher than Coast Guard standards. For example a SOLAS hand flare is more likely to work when you need it, is much brighter than a Coast Guard hand flare, and unlike a Coast Guard hand flare a SOLAS hand flare is not supposed to drip hot material making it safe for use in an inflatable life raft (or skin-on-frame kayak). The main downsides of a SOLAS hand flare are price and size relative to a Coast Guard hand flare.

Folks, I appreciate this input. Its helped me sort some things out. I too want to avoid becoming a human pyrotechnic, yet be ready should the circumstances dictate. I had actually purchased a laser flare on an impulse buy http://www.greatlandlaser.com/ some months ago and stowed it in my kit. This exchange prompted me to go to the website and review the product. I also found numerous reviews online. I'm going to increase my familiarity with the laser including its aim.

Bill and others, do you recommend one personal locator beacon over another? Same for the Solas strobe? Thanks much!

Several items that many people carry can become quite dangerous if not utilized properly, such as knives, rope, etc. The purpose of flares is for signaling, not for shooting at people.

David, I don't think that any current member has experience actually using flares in a rescue situation, although there was an incident off of Plum Island quite some years ago. One point that came out of it was that flare guns do not work well for kayakers that end up in the water as the shells can be lost when trying to load it. Hand held flares, hand-operated aerial flares, and smoke signals are best, with a varied selection and multiple back-ups preferred.

Several items that many people carry can become quite dangerous if not utilized properly, such as knives, rope, etc. The purpose of flares is for signaling, not for shooting at people.

Unfortunately, there are examples of the hand held aerial flares behaving badly when used correctly. Watch your fingers and toes, or waist if you are sitting in the boat, when using them. Best.

Phil

The idea of the flare gun is that the detonation of the flare is then inside the gun and not in ones hand, also, it can be aimed more precisely. Basically, easier to use. I doubt if fumbling or mishandling a flare gun while loading is significantly more likely than fumbling or mishandling a flare while hand detonating. A flare gun is safer for the user but, as that video shows with unsettling clarity, you now have , essentially, a firearm in your hand, with all its attendant risks.

One thing that came up in a training this Fall was a potential issue with both laser flares and strobes. The concern was that both could be mistaken for some type of light and not distress signals and therefore be ignored. This came up in relation to the laser flares being new, and the jury still being out on them. Just something to think about, as this would not have occurred to me.

Another issue I have wih laser flares is that they have to be aimed at a specific area, whereas a standard flare has a 360 degree viewing range. I will conclude by saying that it would make sense for any serious ocean kayaker to carry both.

Now, for thePLBs, I think there is only one major brand, but don't hold me to that. They come in different sizes, which corresponds to battery life and/or transmitting range. Cathy and I each have a medium size one that fits into a PFD pocket. I will post the brand and model tonight.

There are a couple of PLB or PLB like devices. In my understanding, PLBs do one thing: call the calvary and report where the message was sent from. PLB like devices do that and also have functions like tracking, message sending and texting through you cell phone ACR has made PLBs for big boats/crews for years and has brought out small ones for personal use (Firefly?). Spot, Delorne and a few others have brought out PLB like devices for the last several years. I have the original SPOT, and while I've never had to push the "911" button, its only missed 1 "I'm OK" message in many years of use.

One thing that should be stated loudly and clearly about PLBs and the like is they're not likely to get you a fast rescue response. All the companies that provide these services investigate any message before initiating a SAR call. Be prepared to sit for a while or use some more direct method like the radio.

best

Phil

Bill and others, do you recommend one personal locator beacon over another? Same for the Solas strobe? Thanks much!

There are strict international standards covering true PLB devices. For example they are required to use lithium batteries which will operate for hours despite cold temperatures. These are the devices which you purchase once, register with the government for free, and that use an international government satellite system to relay your mayday. Your mayday goes directly to a government employee. I purchased my PLB based on price and size about four or five years ago. I'm sure the current offerings are slightly different.

There are also alternative systems such as the SPOT which so far as I know do not have to meet any particular standards other than FCC radio transmission rules. These systems are sold more like cell phones, often with a subsidized up-front cost, but an ongoing subscription. Their "911" support is serviced more like an alarm system. Your signal goes to a commercial satellite, gets relayed to the company's call center, and then they call the coast guard. These systems are generally bundled with non-emergency services, such as letting people track where you are, and letting you send "I'm OK" messages.

If you travel internationally or are focused on total-cost-of-ownership, the true PLB is probably the better device. However, that big international bureaucracy does not approve innovations nearly as fast as the commercial companies do. So in some ways the alternative systems have passed the older true PLB systems technically. Users also tend to use, and thus test, the alternative systems regularly which tends to improve reliability. I have not kept up with the latest offerings.

Regarding strobes, I don't think you will find more than one or two SOLAS offerings. It is a small market.

Regarding flares; I don't have them but have always heard from knowledgeable people in the kayak community that Pains Wessex flares are the most reliable; the Rolls Royce of flares. They are pricey and I think there are HAZ MAT issues with mail/online ordering. They can be had from Landfall Navigation and Defender Marine.

A lot of marine shops carry flares - for example there's a place about a quarter of a mile from my place on the Cape that carries Pains Wessex flares. For the reasons Peter mentioned, I carry them. It's advisable to rotate them out of circulation on a regular basis, as they do degrade over time. It seems like a waste, but you don't want to be in a position where they fail you when you most need it.

As far as people seeing them - since flares from guns have a distinct coloration and the way they're shot is distinctive, I suspect/hope that anyone who is in a position to spot them wouldn't mistake them for something else. It's good to keep in mind the likely viewing range for a flare. E.g. call for help on the VHF, and when you think they're within spotting range, then set off the flare. If people are on the lookout for one, it'll help them locate you quickly, but if they aren't on the lookout they might not think too much about it.

My "kit" is VHF, flare gun, and strobe if I think I'll need it. If I'm going to be out at a remote location, I also pack a parachute flare, smoke and also water dye, although I've never used these. These are more of nervous "what-ifs". Parachute flares go higher and stay up longer than normal flare guns - so the spotting distance is larger.

It's good to keep in mind the likely viewing range for a flare. E.g. call for help on the VHF, and when you think they're within spotting range, then set off the flare. If people are on the lookout for one, it'll help them locate you quickly, but if they aren't on the lookout they might not think too much about it.

My "kit" is VHF, flare gun, and strobe if I think I'll need it. If I'm going to be out at a remote location, I also pack a parachute flare, smoke and also water dye, although I've never used these. These are more of nervous "what-ifs". Parachute flares go higher and stay up longer than normal flare guns - so the spotting distance is larger.

Since my VHF is a DSC radio with integrated GPS, and my PLB sends GPS coordinates to the satellite as well as incorporating a short range distress radio signal, I expect any rescuer to get very close to me based on electronic signals. That should be enough for them to find me easily except at night in severe fog or gale conditions. So I basically carry my flares for the case where I can hear but not see the rescue boat/chopper. That is why I prefer hand-held flares to gun or parachute flares.

My understanding is that laser flares are highly regarded among pilots and others who may be stranded in obscure places precisely because they are immediately apparent to airborne searchers when they are flashed with one and the location of the source is also quickly ascertained. These can be huge advantages. While they are not that useful for just trying to get attention of anyone who mighty be in the area, I suspect that is not the primary purpose of flares. I suppose that is always the debate. To what extent are flares used once the searcher is on site to aid in locating you and to what extent are they for raising the alarm so a searcher will come looking for you. I think it unwise to assume you will be easily located even when the searcher is on site unless you have a good and precise signaling devise and aside from a radio a mirror or laser flare might be best for that.

If you mail order the Wessex flare, expect to receive a very large container for a very small package given the hazmat issues or at least I heard a funny story about that from someone who did.

Ed Lawson

I am not a fan of pyrotechnic flares for a variety of reasons - ease of use, access, reliability, efficacy.

In the ONE instance of using a flare in an emergency, while in this instance, it fired properly, it received NO attention from the folks on shore. They never saw it. A year later 2 different fellas in the same piece of water and in similar straits used (a) flare(s) and as I recall, they fired and were effective at signalling the CG.

As far as firing any flares as a practice and in controlled conditions, the last time I was involved with anything like that the success rate was relatively low, the light pretty dim and overall I was impressed with just how unimpressive a display it was...certainly not something I'd think "wow, sure, yeah, that'll save my bacon"

Another issue I have wih laser flares is that they have to be aimed at a specific area, whereas a standard flare has a 360 degree viewing range.

I know what you mean; nevertheless, like a laser flare, the aerial flare can only be seen when it’s in the field of view (including peripheral vision) of the potential rescuer looking somewhere.

While riding my bike today I began to think about whether I should buy a laser flare. Here’s my SSWAG* comparing laser flares to aerial flares (I have neither):

Case 1.

You’re in trouble (the victim) and haven’t been able to see or contact any potential help. In this case a laser flare is almost useless since you don’t know where to point it. Perhaps you can scan it 360 degrees around the horizon hoping someone out there will see it as it scans by and decide that it’s coming from someone in trouble (highly unlikely). With an aerial flare, anyone within range looking in your general direction may see the burning flare. A burning flare is much less common to see than a brief flash of light and is probably much more likely to be noticed as a call for help. For this reason, I think that the aerial flare is better for this case.

Case 2.

You’ve made contact with a rescue boat (helicopter, etc.) and they’re on the way. When you see them, the laser flare has the advantage in that, for as long as necessary, you can scan it back and forth around the heading angle of the rescuer’s position. With an aerial flare, the rescuer may not look in the direction of the victim during the burn time. For this reason, I think that the laser flare is better for this case.

Shortcomings of Aerial Flares.

In addition to the danger issues and high failure rates of aerial flares, I think that there are other problems to consider. Because the aerial flare burns out in about a minute, the rescuer must see it during that short burn time. In addition, the burning flare moves with the wind. For instance, in a 20-mph wind, the flare will move horizontally away from you by about 1800 feet during the one-minute burn time. Conversely, because the laser flare is at the victim’s exact location, it provides an ideal point source to triangulate to the victim’s exact location.

-Leon

* SSWAG = Semi-Scientific Wild .... Guess

While not getting the attention of flares and perhaps the poor stepchild in the discussion, I have heard S&R folks say smoke is really effective in locating a person since it is relatively long lasting, easily seen, and indicates position even in wind. FWIW.

Ed Lawson

While not getting the attention of flares and perhaps the poor stepchild in the discussion, I have heard S&R folks say smoke is really effective in locating a person since it is relatively long lasting, easily seen, and indicates position even in wind. FWIW.

Ed Lawson

I have been carrying these:

http://www.painswessex.com/products/non-solas/day-and-night-mk8

I like the dual duty and so good for day/night. Truly though - this allows someone who you have already contacted to pinpoint you. I suppose it may get someone's attention who is passing by.

I don't keep them on my person but do keep a Greatland Laser on my lifejacket.

If memory serves, I think the two experienced paddlers who got caught out and capsized in big conditions in Plum Island Sound did use handheld flares, but only after the CG got relatively close based on VHF contact. The flares helped the rescuers pinpoint the rescuees in the final phase of approach.

The whole story is in somewhere the archives, if anyone wants to verify details.

If memory serves, I think the two experienced paddlers who got caught out and capsized in big conditions in Plum Island Sound did use handheld flares, but only after the CG got relatively close based on VHF contact. The flares helped the rescuers pinpoint the rescuees in the final phase of approach.

The whole story is in somewhere the archives, if anyone wants to verify details.

From here http://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/3177-plum-island-june-4-2006-long-post/

>

>How important were the flares? Would you have been rescued

>at all without them? Or just more slowly?

[Note, below is Keith’s response to the question above]

I think we would have been rescued without them, but probably more slowly. The landmarks we gave allowed the Ipswich Harbor Master to get the USCG in the general area, but the flares were responsible for allowing him to narrow the area down and for the MLBs to gain first visual contact with us. Without them the helicopter probably would have spent a bit more time looking - recall that the helicopter was launched (according to the log) because of poor comms and uncertain position, before the USCG reported that conditions were such that the 25 ft RIW couldn't get out.

[Note, I looked through the archives and couldn’t find the actual Plum Island trip report by Keith]