Kayak Signaling Devices

David M

I had a Greatland laser flare I kept in my lifejacket corrode over a season. I'll probably buy another laser flare, but keep it drier next time. Maybe put it in a foodsaver vacuum sealed bag and keep that in my lifejacket pocket. Like the small size of the laser flare. Don't like having too much stuff in\on my lifejacket, find it hinders mobility. When I was guiding and on the water for months at a time, I found the thing I used most out of my lifejacket pockets was my toothbrush. Still want to perfect my toothbrush roll. Wouldn't mind getting a PLB if I ever start to get into remote tripping again, especially solo, but for now I'll rely on my wits and good looks to get me through..

A flare gun is safer for the user but, as that video shows with unsettling clarity, you now have , essentially, a firearm in your hand, with all its attendant risks.

In my neck of the woods, a weapon of choice for some:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/community/town-by-town/concord/9930188-95/concord-man-accused-of-shooting-another-with-flare-gun-claims-self-defense

Perhaps a commentary on the criminal justice system.

"has no previous criminal convictions, but has had a few charges brought against him since the 1980s, including simple assault, arson and burglary"

or a reminder the casualty rate is really almost 100%.

Ed Lawson

I have been watching Vol. 3 of Gordon Brown's kayaking DVD series and it contains a great section on rescues, etc. which includes both night and day exercises. Very sobering in some ways as it shows how difficult it is for a rescue boat/chopper to find a kayak even if they have the GPS coordinates. In it a CG type says in his experience a red pyrotechnic flare is better than a smoke flare for locating someone in daylight. The value of reflective tape at night is shown dramatically. All in all another good DVD from Gordon.

Ed Lawson