Workshop by John Huth: "Kayak Navigation: Finding Our Way" : Sunday January 26th

PeterB

John Huth once again has volunteered to present a workshop to NSPN, this one on "Kayak Navigation: Finding Our Way", an exploration of primitive or traditional navigation and how this applies to us as sea kayakers

John's presentations have been favorites for many years by club members , and this is truly one workshop you won't want to miss.

“Kayak Navigation: Finding Our Way” by John Huth

Sunday, January 26th
1:00PM-4:00 PM

This is a bit about the workshop:

“Navigation is a fundamental skill in sea kayaking, as for many other outdoor activities. For the sea kayaker, there are specific challenges faced and useful techniques. The increasing reliance on GPS and electronic devices, while reducing a level of anxiety, has also created a mental barrier between the environment and us. Long before Google Earth, GPS and Global Transit, humans have traveled long distances at sea using only environmental cues and simple instruments. This workshop will explore this world of primitive or traditional navigation: how ancient mariners from the Vikings to Arabic traders to Polynesian Islanders found their way on the ocean, and how these methods still apply to us as sea kayakers.”

John Huth is a longtime NSPN member who is also a professor of Physics at Harvard U. Over the years John has offered workshops to NSPN which have integrated his skills as a lecturer and researcher of natural phenomena such as weather and waves with his own experiences as a kayaker, which drew him to research the world of primitive navigation , and culminated in the publishing of his book The Lost Art Finding Our Way this past year .

This workshop is for PAID MEMBERS ONLY

Please RSVP in the Calendar posting (under "I'm attending") for this event .
Like This

post-100369-0-81230900-1386339741_thumb. post-100369-0-92230200-1386339804_thumb.
post-100369-0-30280900-1386429703_thumb.post-100369-0-38412500-1386339864_thumb.

Help Please

Shucks, I'm having a wee bit of trouble navigating the webpage....can't seem to find the workshop on a calendar

I'd do the "I'm attending" thing if I could.....I'd like to RSVP for me.

Billy, here are some instructions that may help:

Look at the top of your screen when in the message forums.

Right under the picture of paddlers on the water, is a row of words.

One of them is Calendar.

Click once on calendar.

In the resulting window, click Next Month to get to January

Look for January 26th and click on the John Huth entry to open it.

On the right hand side of the resulting window, there should be an 'Im Attending' button.

Let me know if this does not work and we'll figure something out.

Right under the picture of paddlers on the water, is a row of words.

One of them is Calendar.

Depending on how your web browser is set up, you may have to find the CALENDAR by clicking on the down arrow next to the word MORE

Thanks for the help Cathy and Rob......worked like a charm this time around, I think the problem was I was confusing the mini January calendar found below December with the active January calendar,,,,found it right away with your navigation help.

When I go to the 26th of January and click on the event, my banner reads (direct copy and paste):

Taking place 26 Jan 2014 01:00 PM - 04:00 PM (Single Day Event)

Gene,

I think it's the time zone setting you have in your NSPN profile.

If you click the down arrow next to your profile name in the upper right hand corner of your screen, you'll find 'Settings'.

Click that and then look at the time zone you have set there. I'm willing to bet it's set for GMT London.

If you set it for GMT-5hrs Eastern Time, Bogota, Lima, the calendar entry should look correct.

Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and save your changes once you change the time zone.

Please let us know if that doesn't work and we can keep sleuthing!

Cathy

• 4 weeks later...

Karen, you can sign up by going to the NSPN calendar, click on the event, and select the RSVP on the right. The event is scheduled from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.

Hi, All -

I'm trying to gauge an activity I'm thinking of doing for the navigation workshop. There is an exercise I can walk people through by actually going through it, *or* you can see it done on slides. I think it's better to do it in person, but it requires some equipment - this equipment is actually quite useful. I use it all the time in trip planning, so I actually recommend having it, but I don't want to force people to buy equipment. Here's the list:

Weems and Plath marine navigational parallels - about $15

Weems and Plath marine navigational dividers - about $20

Hand-held backpacker-type compass with clear baseplate - $20 roughly

Printed nautical chart - $25 print on demand

Please let me know - email huth (at) physics (dot) harvard (dot) edu or respond here.

If enough people who want to attend are willing to get this, I'll suggest a common chart to use - something in the area, so it will be useful. Either way, I'll show you how to prepare charts for "on-the-go" navigation - but I think the hands on exercise is more useful.

John H.

Hi, All -

I'm trying to gauge an activity I'm thinking of doing for the navigation workshop. There is an exercise I can walk people through by actually going through it, *or* you can see it done on slides. I think it's better to do it in person, but it requires some equipment - this equipment is actually quite useful. I use it all the time in trip planning, so I actually recommend having it, but I don't want to force people to buy equipment. Here's the list:

Weems and Plath marine navigational parallels - about $15

Weems and Plath marine navigational dividers - about $20

Hand-held backpacker-type compass with clear baseplate - $20 roughly

Printed nautical chart - $25 print on demand

Please let me know - email huth (at) physics (dot) harvard (dot) edu or respond here.

If enough people who want to attend are willing to get this, I'll suggest a common chart to use - something in the area, so it will be useful. Either way, I'll show you how to prepare charts for "on-the-go" navigation - but I think the hands on exercise is more useful.

John H.

John,

I completely agree it is much more useful to actually do the exercises - but worry that not everyone is ready to buy all the items, particularly the parallels and dividers. Do you think it would be possible to share a certain number of these items in the class - perhaps groups of 2 or 3 can do the exercise together?

I'm thinking if we can get a tally of who already has them or will be buying them, we could determine if this is possible. Perhaps the club could provide some and the charts (making no promises here!), just thinking out loud.

Do others have any thoughts?

I think if we can get enough so that people can work in groups of 3, no larger, then the exercise can be done. I think more than 3 people, it starts to lose its value.

So while I'm at it - we could try a navigation exercise in groups to get into the habit of group planning. What do people think?

John